rivet strength sufficient for adapter to bow mount TM?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghudspeth

Reaction score
Situation: I'm building a custom adapter to mount my new transom trolling motor on the bow of my 14' Sea Nymph. I bought a 3-foot long piece of 1/4" thick, 1.5"x1.5" aluminum angle. I had planned to lay this across the bow and rivet it to the gunwales using a couple of aluminum pop rivets on each side. That would leave about 1' of angle hanging off the left side to which I would attach a piece of 2x4 and to that, the trolling motor.

My question: would four pop rivets have enough sheer strength to keep the motor from ripping the aluminum angle off the gunwales? Since the motor would be pushing forward on the aluminum angle, its force would be transferred to the hull solely through those four rivets, and I'm not sure if they are sufficient to withstand the sheering force. It's a 50lb thrust Minn Kota if that helps.

Any ideas whether this would work before I try it out and have the motor fall of the boat and sink to the bottom of the lake?

Thanks,

Glenn

I have 7 on mine. 4 on the front side and 3 on the back side. I imagine 4 would be enough. I'm going to keep an eye on mine and any signs of it loosening or failing I will have it welded on.

I haven't used blind rivets for anything like a trolling motor mount, but I did use 2, 3/16" blind rivets for each of my rod holder mounts. Have only used my rod holders for one evening of cat fishing and they held, but did loosen up a decent amount. I'll be having them welded.

https://www.hansonrivet.com/blind-rivets-aluminum-steel.htm

just make sure your holes are tight and your grip range is correct and you will be fine. also try to keep from wacking stumps and rocks with it.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about making a safety chain to the cleat on the bow so that if it does pop off at any point, I hopefully won't lose the motor. -- GH

Back the bottom up with some stainless washers because that gunnel is soft aluminum and use large stainless rivets with a wide flange.
Tim

Latest posts