Small tow vehicle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shemstreet

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I purchased a 2022 Hyundai Tuscan hybrid this year. It shows a towing capacity of 2000 lbs. Is it worth putting a hitch on it? What kind of boats would it be OK with an normal ramps? Hoping for Alumacraft V16 types boats, or 1648 type jon boats, but if this is just a kayak tow car I can just put it on the rook racks and look for a beater truck to tow with

In addition to the towing capacity, you might want to look at the total payload spec's. That would include everything in the vehicle, including passengers, plus the tongue weight. I hear tell of 1/2 ton trucks that have plenty of towing capacity but are limited by total payload. For example, my truck has a towing cap of either 9,000 or 11,000 # (I can't remember). Payload is slightly over 1,300#. With four people, cargo, tongue weight, etc, I would likely exceed my payload cap before I did the towing cap.

Seat-of-pants, I would think there might be a lot of options for tin boats/trailers in the 15' range. Oops, just reread your comments -- make that "in the 16' range". I think you would be OK as long as you don't overload it up with accessories.

As LDUBS mentions, it's payload capacity that is the issue. Ex. I have a 2018 RAV4 Adventure model (factory trans cooler, engine oil cooler) and it has a towing capacity of 3500# and a load/cargo capacity of 900#. I was planning on maybe one day towing my 2017 Alumacraft V16 with it. It's current tongue weight is approx. 200# (it has added bow weight (100#) to get on plane quicker. TW was reduced slightly as I added a 3' tongue extension.

The approx. 200# TW would need to be subtracted from the 900#, leaving me 700# for occupants and interior cargo.

Not bad for a 4 banger.....doable, but limited.

NOTE: I currently tow my boat with my 2003 Ford F-350 V10. Way overkill, I also tow a travel trailer, and use the bed for all sorts of stuff. She LOVES gasoline but she's been very good to me! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

Run the math for both the towing capacity and payload. If just fishing with a buddy or self, vs family outing, makes a difference. Also there is allot of difference in a basic Jon boat/motor vs a full console / big motor with lots of deck.

With my first boat, I was towing with a Ford Torus which had only 1200lb towing capacity. Towed a lite 14’er and heavy 14’ StarCraft/40hp. Most small trailers only have a 1000lb capacity, too. Never had a problem towing or stopping. I don’t remember the capacity but trailer was never squating. Muddy, or wet leaves, or frozen water, on ramp can make it some fun with a front wheel drive car, though.

Your suv towing capacity might be low because of being a hybrid. The capacity might be better than most think, because it probably has similar suspension as the gas model.