Susquehanna River 1/9/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
Last weekends original plan was to fish a warm water discharge on the susky, but with the high water, and being unprepaired, It turned into a total bust. All week I was looking foward to maybe planning a trip out there, but once again another forecast of snow put a damper on things. All week I was dreaming of pig smallies, walleye, and possibly even a musky. I was sick of waiting for a nice day, so this morning I made the last minute decision to call in a sick day, and get the road trip started.
Just under 2 hours of highway, and I was at my destination. I arrived at the mouth of the warm water discharge just before sunup. With a quick water temp check, which was a balmy 87, I figured I would start just at the mouth for some big guns. Very first cast, I hook and lose a pig smallie. 3 cast later I hooked into my very first hyrid striper. Not a big fish by any standards, but it is another specie I can cross off the list. Just under an hour, I was joined by about 20 other guys, arm, to arm all after the same thing. The sun was coming up, and I had noticed that the clarity of the water was mud. All my hopes were in the shitter for a productive day.
I threw on some waders, jumped in the truck, and headed about a mile or 2 downstream of the discharge mouth. In the first hour, I had an absolute trashfish slam. Just about every cast I was foul hooking a carp, quillback, sucker, and some suprisingly big gizzard shad. The crankbaits weren't cutting it, so I switched up to some texas rigged softys. The water was very muddy, and the current was strong so finding a hole a pounding it was my only option. Within a few cast I was once again into some pig smallies, with an occassonal walleye mixed in. I landed just over 20 bass or so, and just about all on a 9ft noodle rod, with 6lb flouro. My arms at one point cramped, and were ready to give in. The window of consistant action only lasted about 2 hours, then it was more hit or miss.
The day was growing old, and still I had expectations of a ski. I retired the noodle, and broke out the heavier action pole. I spent just over 3 hours casting away for the elusive "beast" to no avail. I actually had 2 fish slam and run, and never had a chance to turn them before they came unbuttoned. So there is always that chance. I am proud to say, I lost no more today, then some soft plastics, and hooks. Not to mention I found 2 almost newer X-raps, that someone had left behind. Thier bad, and my gain.

finally popped the hybrid cherry
Picture1602.jpg

Picture1605.jpg

Picture1608.jpg

The biggest of the day, 20", and the best 10 minute fight I ever had on light tackle.
Picture1610.jpg

second biggest at 19"
Picture1612.jpg

The biggest walleye of the day, 21"
Picture1613.jpg

The smallest
Picture1614.jpg

Picture1616.jpg

Picture1617.jpg

And although, I didn't catch a musky today, I did get to see a dead one. Even got a measurement, 32" What a waste.
Picture1618.jpg

Fish,
I'm always impressed. The longer that beard gets the better your fish do. Keep it growing!!!

87 degrees wow,did you hop in?
Must of had a blast,great fish.
Hope you get your musky next time.

Captain Ahab said:
I am still gonna beat you to the Muskie!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just got in some of those big *** tubes I was telling you and Jake about. Been reading alot about the bigger tubes being the hot new bait for musky. Can't wait to try them out.

Picture1619.jpg

Latest posts