Used outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for a used outboard 9.9 hp. People are asking for just shy of new one. A 1990 two stroke Johnson, asking 1,800.00!?
I tried to get a price on a new Tohatsu online and they wanted your entire personal history, so they can blow up your phone.
Might not be a good time for getting any kind of deal.

I was looking for a used outboard 9.9 hp. People are asking for just shy of new one. A 1990 two stroke Johnson, asking 1,800.00!?
I tried to get a price on a new Tohatsu online and they wanted your entire personal history, so they can blow up your phone.
I have the same problem. Been looking for 5 to 9.9 horsepower with no luck. Everytime I go look at a motor it is a joke. No where near the condition mentioned in the ads. Have heard a lot of good stories from owners. Still looking but will likely buy new.

The most important test for an engine once you have looked it over and checked compression is that it is able to idle in gear in the water. This is the best sign of a well sealed engine. Of course you will want to check to make sure it does not jump out of gear, pumps, etc. but a good idle is crucial.

Used motors that are truly "ready to go" will command high prices. When it comes to used, the real saavings come from a unit that is easily fixed. The more you can diagnose and fix on your own, the better price you can probably drive.

I'm not that outboard guy who can fix it all. I lost a season of fishing because I couldn't get an old 30HP Johnson figured out. I got tired of that and bought a new 20HP Merc in in 2021.

Don't assume online prices are the best prices you can find. When I bought my Merc, I looked at the most popular online dealer. The 20HP Tohatsu from the online dealer was about $150 more than the 20HP Merc I bought from the local Tracker Marine dealer.

That is exactly what I have found. Outboards offered by local dealers are cheaper than what is on line. The 2024 models are on the showroom floors so any 2023 models are at a discount. I have even run across a few brand new 2022 outboards that are really slashed off the orginal price. I have a 1984 14 foot lonestar that is only rated up to 12 horsepower. In Oklahoma a outboard under 10 horse requires no registration. Not really interested in going fast or impressing anyone. Have enough time living in this state to be aware well beforehand that a thunderstorm or bad weather is on the way and enough common sense to head home in time. No need or desire to have a large motor. If I had a bigger boat I would think about a larger outboard. Not in the best of shape and figure a small boat and outboard fits. Most of the time will be fishing solo in the hundreds of coves at lake Eufaula. Have numerous city lakes around my area that are well stocked. Small lakes but plenty of good fishing. Require an Outboard that is reliable and cheap on gas. Been going back and forth with a local dealer on a 2023 5 horse mercury. They have slashed the price and offered a free tank and hose. That is a little smaller than what I want but if they sweeten the deal up again am going to buy it. Tired of dealing with people who advertise one thing but when you go and look it is junk with a lot of verbal diarrhea. Would love a good running small two stroke but just about ready to give up on that idea.

That is exactly what I have found. Outboards offered by local dealers are cheaper than what is on line. The 2024 models are on the showroom floors so any 2023 models are at a discount. I have even run across a few brand new 2022 outboards that are really slashed off the orginal price. I have a 1984 14 foot lonestar that is only rated up to 12 horsepower. In Oklahoma a outboard under 10 horse requires no registration. Not really interested in going fast or impressing anyone. Have enough time living in this state to be aware well beforehand that a thunderstorm or bad weather is on the way and enough common sense to head home in time. No need or desire to have a large motor. If I had a bigger boat I would think about a larger outboard. Not in the best of shape and figure a small boat and outboard fits. Most of the time will be fishing solo in the hundreds of coves at lake Eufaula. Have numerous city lakes around my area that are well stocked. Small lakes but plenty of good fishing. Require an Outboard that is reliable and cheap on gas. Been going back and forth with a local dealer on a 2023 5 horse mercury. They have slashed the price and offered a free tank and hose. That is a little smaller than what I want but if they sweeten the deal up again am going to buy it. Tired of dealing with people who advertise one thing but when you go and look it is junk with a lot of verbal diarrhea. Would love a good running small two stroke but just about ready to give up on that idea.
Went through same problem a few years back . I ended up purchasing a tohatsu online from online outboards. They shipped it to a fed ex facility where I picked it up. Came with a tank and fuel line and for not much more than the used motors I was looking at. The mercury you were looking at is made by tohatsu.

Latest posts