What is the best to seal my sponsons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samcrimm

Reaction score
I know that this is not related to boats per say, but I have made sponsons with aluminum and foam, I need input and ideas to seal these up. I have thought about flex seal, fiber glass(too much work) and that is all I can come with. And I need your help and input. I have attached pictures so you understand what I am doing.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230816_184040.jpg
    20230816_184040.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230816_191134.jpg
    20230816_191134.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • received_1008680573884145.jpeg
    received_1008680573884145.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
I use a product calked " leak stopper" it is a clear, after drying, rubbery plastic sealer used on roofing repairs. Tough stuff, used it on my badly chewed up jon boat hull and it hasn't leaked a drop in the past 6 years. Availiable at home depot and tractor supply, also see it on Amazon. Not sure how well it will work on your foam, testing would be needed.

looked that up and that sounds like it will do what I want! And yes test it on the foam, Thanks airshot

I use a product calked " leak stopper" it is a clear, after drying, rubbery plastic sealer used on roofing repairs. Tough stuff, used it on my badly chewed up jon boat hull and it hasn't leaked a drop in the past 6 years. Availiable at home depot and tractor supply, also see it on Amazon. Not sure how well it will work on your foam, testing would be needed.
So far I am find in this only in tubes, I have found other brands that claim to do the same so I guess I will try with them. Thanks again.

The stuff I have comes in a blue colored quart size can. Just looked it up and it appears they now have a black versuon which I have not used, supposed to have a fiber in it. Walmart shows the blue cans of the clear stuff I have used. Whether you want the fiber stuff is your call, all I can say is, the ribs on my jon boat were actually worn thru, cracks on the very points that leaked like a seive...coated both inside and outside with numerous coats of leak stopper, still gets dragged over sand and stones with O leaks and that was about 6 plus years back. Clear when it dries, reminds me of a clear rubber like feel but tough. Also used some on my barn roof about 7-8 years back, still there and no leaks. Best stuff I have found, but doesn't mean there isn't something better for you out there.

Latest posts