Working With Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinskin

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the site, been boating about 40 years. My current favorites are a 16ft Mirrorcraft from the 50's a pre Brunswick1987 Fisher 16SV-GT, and an 87 16ft Northwood fish-ski that I call a walleye boat. All OMC powered. The Fisher needs nothing and features all aluminum construction including floors and lids which I really like. The Northwood came with plywood floors which need replaced. I would like to go with aluminum. topped with interlocking anti fatigue mats, and have been gathering materials for a while. The sheet aluminum I have is too thick to cut with snips, and I really need some input on best way to cut it. I believe it is too thick for the brake I can rent too. One good thing is it is all straight lines to the front of the consoles, and they, the rear live, and the seat bases are all removable. The area where the ski's go under the floor is smooth and carpeted, and damp, and has a teak vented cover. I am hoping to leave the side storage's in tact if possible. I will try and get some pics up after breakfast. Thanks for reading, more for replying.

First attempt at pics

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 856
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 856
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 856
  • 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 856
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 856
How thick of aluminum are you talking about? You can work with aluminum like it's wood for the most part. You can use a jig saw, table saw, etc.. Just have to exercise some caution when dealing with it is all. If you use a table saw try to get a 60 tooth carbide cutter with a lubricant like WD-40. Works great. Aluminum guns up in saw teeth if they get too fine so you'll have to experiment a little to see what works best for you.

Get yourself a face shield and cut it with normal woodworking tools. I have a carbide toothed blade on my circular saw that works well. My band saw seems to handle it just fine as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-S30120-Advantage-All-Purpose-Polycarbonate/dp/B01N2ZTB7M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535381482&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=face+shield&psc=1

As for the brake you can use a circular saw with a fence and cut a very shallow kerf into the face of the aluminum to thin the section out along the inside face of the sheet you're going to bend if it's too heavy for the brake you have access to.

I just setup a fence on the tin panel and used a jigsaw riding along the fence (with a new metal blade) and it cut right through 0.090" alloy 5052 like butter! Simple to smooth the cut too.

The material I have is about .070 and it maybe too thin. I know I can make straight cuts with the squeal saw, it's those curves in the bow, and around the ski hole I was not sure about, I do have a jig saw I'll try that. The stuff I have has about a 1/2 inch turn down on one end and since it is not big enough co cover with one piece I thought I would try to save these for the seem. I would like to have a turn down or up on all the edges though.

Latest posts