It is currently 23 Apr 2019, 00:14
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quiet at home
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 10:30 

For my own reasons, I keep a home land line, but robocallers have become way too annoying lately. A few days ago I received yet ANOTHER call from some "credit card" company who I had asked politely to remove my phone number from their contact list in the past.

This call was different, the caller played back to me a recording of me in a previous call asking to remove my number. Then went on to harass me by saying they would continue to call.

So, in desperation I called the phone company and had them change my number and remove my contact info from their listing. It's been blessedly quiet since.

To limit the telemarketers finding and putting my home phone on their sucker list I am trying to follow some new approaches / recommendations I found on the web. Bear in mind I do NOT use the phone for voice communications at all.

1. "If no one ever picked up the phone when it rang, robocalls would stop" I stopped picking up the phone, and I disconnected my answering machine and I now let it ring with the ringer off.

2. I once again called the U.S. National do not call registry at 1-888-382-1222. In the past this has worked for several years, but not adhering to #1 blew that and I'm hopeful it will work better on my new number.

The CPR V5000 call blocker will not work for me as I have a bare bones landline without long distance, or caller ID features.

The phone companies and the feds are supposedly working on these issues and hopefully it will get addressed because it's recently started on my cell phone and I've had that number for 30+ years (ported from a fax number) and I'm not about to change that one. Till then my best defense on my cell phone is to answer it only for people in my contacts, from there legitimate callers will leave a message.

Who else is having these maddening robocalls?

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 12:41 

the do not call list is useless.i have come to realize that nuisance calls are a fact of life.i don't answer calls that are #blocked or i don't recognize.lately my wife and i have been getting alot of chinese language calls.the caller comes up on the tv screen so it makes it easy to ignore,plus the cell phones are paired to the landline so they also come on the screen.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 13:32 

Probably get more on the wife's cell than the land line. So far they haven't found my cell yet. I like the ones that start with "Don't hang up. . . ."

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 14:43 

"congratulations,you've won a trip to..."

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 23:55 

If we don't know it, we don't answer it. If it is important, from someone that you know, they will leave a message.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 06:54 

About two years ago my cell phone was beginning to get a lot of calls from unwanted callers. It was getting to the point that it was interrupting my work. I tried the do not call list, telling them I no longer wanted them to call me and take me off their call list. Nothing worked. Then I started having some fun with them and wasting their time as much as possible. I would try to keep them on the line as long as possible. Upsetting them and getting them as mad as I could. I have had them curse me out and hang up on me multiple times. For instance, if I got a call supposedly from Microsoft telling me that their servers have received a message from my computer that it is infected with a virus I would go on a spiel that my computer is set up that in the event their computer gets a virus my computer sends them that message and for a fee I can fix it for them. They get upset over that for some reason. They refuse to send money and would hang up on me. After a couple of months playing with them, the calls have quit. I kind of miss the calls now. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. My mother was getting a lot of calls and I taught her the same procedure. It cut her nuisance calls down to nothing.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 09:35 

i made one of those guys so mad one time he told me to f/o. :LOL2:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 09:46 

I have had them threaten to call the police on me for harassing them.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 10:01 

I've had my land line for 25+ years and no cell phone. I gave up on the caller id since all the stuff spoofs your local area code nowadays. I tell anyone that needs to call me to start to leave a message and I'll pick up if I'm there. The last couple of weeks I got hammered with phone calls. This past week was only a couple so something has changed on their end. I saw congress is working on a bill but I doubt it would be very effective if you can't trace back the call.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019, 10:53 
Donor

I have a land line because my cable company gives a cheaper price for the bundle that includes the phone. About 30 seconds after the installer left I disconnected the phone and put it in the basement. I haven't used a land line for 15 years.

Weather it is a land line or a cell it's very important not to answer the numbers you don't recognize. Reason being that if you answer it, even if it's to scream and yell to be removed from their call list, you get put on the "successful call" list by the computer simply because you answered it. If you answer at all, you will be called again and likely more frequently. The computer doesn't care if you are steaming mad and shouting obscenities, you were a complete, 100% success. Now your number can be sold to other robocallers for a profit.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 12:52 

It's STILL blessedly QUIET here. I don't know if the phone company has a stash of numbers that are somehow blocked but it MUST be something of that ilk. I say that because automatic sequential dialing machines / pc's sweep entire exchange prefixes (I know I wrote one in the 80's, yet another story) starting at xxx-xxx-0001 through xxx-xxx-9999 and my number MUST have been swept in the 10 days or so since the number change.

Funny, autodiallers are against Florida statutes but it seems as if Florida turns a blind eye to them, like many laws as long as they get their tax revenue they could care less.

BTW, for 911 call source locating, alarm system connectivity (wayyy... to expensive to change my system to net based), and extremely reliable service even after severe weather a land line is still hard to beat even though I don't use it for incoming or outgoing calls.

Also I'm not concerned enough to believe anyone would dig a trench or cut a phone line conduit hoping to negate an alarm system (which a wire to internet connection is as easily cut) I'm not the National Archives or Museum of Natural History to worry about that issue :-)

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 11:29 

I get a lot of them too which I don't answer. I live by myself and not long ago I got several robocalls showing up as my own landline number.

At least craigslist found a way to cut out scammers. They charge $5 to list a car now.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]