New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm Glen. I live in Northwestern Minnesota and have an older Lund. It's an 18' Mr. Pike Deluxe but I may trade down this Sunday to a 16' Lund. Decisions decisions lol.

I am a 56 yr old retired USAF Veteran and Postal Carrier. So it's time to fish! I bought an old rowboat and am having trouble finding out any info about it. So I hoping to make friends and pick some brains! Then I can get on with fishing with my grandkids! (The boat is an Ouachita 14SVL rowboat)

Patrick

I'm ron, live in york, Pa. Have an old 16' keller craft and 2 other old tin boats. Glad to be here and look forward to talking/ helping others.

Hi, new member here from Massachusetts. I have been seriously thinking about purchasing a 14ft aluminum boat and found this forum while doing some research. Looks like a good forum to be part of as I go though the process of buying and fixing up an older boat.

Old guy, but new here!

Located at the juncture of the Missouri and Platte rivers in Nebraska.

My son and I recently partnered on a restore project: a 1981 Sea Nymph JB 142. This boat was probably fished every single day possible the last 39 years!

Real Ratty but complete!

The wood on the transom floor is original, and solid as a rock. The front and rear decks need some work though.

Had it on the water 2 times this past week, and I wish I hadn’t spent so much on my pontoon boat, as this Nymph is a fishing machine! Tracks dead straight when trolling. Very stable too for my old legs.

I found this site when looking for a better deck covering than carpet.

Thanks Jim for a real nice little forum!

Mike

I am in Vancouver, Canada and have a place near Kamloops that gets us out of the city for a large portion of the late spring, summer and fall.

I drive a desk for a living so it is very nice to get out the city and into the woods.

Fly fish lakes for trout. Fly fish, float fish, gear fish, plug plugs etc for salmon on rivers. Finally have a boat I am willing to get out on the Fraser for sturgeon in as well.

Odd time used for waterfowl but have access to some farms twenty to forty five minutes from home in the city so not a ton of ducks and geese done with the boat sadly.

Currently have a Lowe 1436 with a 9.9HP and just got an Alumacraft 1648 Mod V NCS with a 25HP prop but did come with the pump to setup as a jet but not sure I'll use it due to HP loss.

Used the 1436 as a training ground and to test various things over the last few years. Poor boat has a lot of scars as evidence.

Getting started on the 1648 this week and am excited to find people smarter than me, have more miles on the ground with this stuff and have made the mistakes and share the lessons learned.

If a guy got paid for screw ups I'd be retired by now, except I'd just have more time to screw more things up. :LOL2:

Thankful to have found this group and already learning a ton.

I am a sarcastic jackass who prides himself on trying to be the nicest person he can. Which sounds sarcastic but is true and clearly ironic.

Hey all. My best friend of many years has gotten himself tangled up in Jon boats and has now drug me along with him. We used to ride off road motorcycles together and travel around the western US and Eastern Canada. We started hunting together once the travel by motorcycle bug wore off a bit, and now we are both parents with young sons at home. He is a CC Nurse at our local hospital and has already contracted covid in early march. I cannot spend time with him as he's too much of a "what if" card, so.....I bought a boat so I could at least be on the lake near him.

Ridiculous a bit, but he's my best friend. Anyway, my 5 yo son River is very excited for fishing, camping, and maybe some hunting adventures out of our little boat. I bought a 500 boat....a late 60's Alumacraft FD 14' V-hull. Someone has removed the center bench as some point, and this thing has only been registered in Michigan, were I am from but I bought this boat in Atlanta where I currently live. It's only a few years older than me and from my state, so there was little question about buying it. Mike my nurse buddy, gave me a circa 1973 20hp Johnson that he rebuilt last year so I'm good to go! Time to go juggin' for catfish with my buddy who I hope to hunt with this fall.

Hello everyone! I am originally from Baltimore, MD but have retired south of Pittsburgh, PA. Used to fish Susquehanna River, Flats, and Chesapeake Bay for Rockfish (stripers), but now want to put together a modified V for river and lake fishing with the Grandkids. Found this site by accident but it looks like my kind of place... I am glad to be here!, Joe

Hey there. Socal Noob here. Just got a 77 Gamefisher Jon Boat (61812) and immediately upgraded to a 4hp 4 stroke Tohatsu to be legal in the waterways of the Golden State. Mostly going to fish High Sierra lakes with my tween boys. This is the first motorized vessel I've ever owned. Thanks for having me.

Hello All.

"A dad here" 50plus seeking to relive his youth and, as best I can, recover something lost. I grew up on, and have dear memories with my father fishing in, our old Alumacraft 16' Model K. I just acquired (and had shipped to FL where I am now) an Alumacraft "Deep C", but, I would really love to find an original Model K in its virgin state, or, if upgraded, not changed too much.

If anyone on here has one and is considering parting with it, please think of me: I would be seriously interested and could make the means of getting it from anywhere up north.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, but have lurked off and on over the years. Now that my kids are old enough, it's time to think about adding a second boat for the family in the next couple years. It will be a fishing boat first and pleasure boat second. I'm undecided whether I want to go with something like a 1652 jon boat and build it out to get what I need or to go with factory built 16' deep-v. It's the 6 person capacity of something like the Lowe deep-v's that I find appealing with a family of 4, so the kids can bring a friend along once in a while.

I'm not a stranger to modifying a tin boat. I currently fish out of a 14' Duracraft v-hull from the late '40s or early '50s. I've been running it since the late '90s and have modified it with little tweaks over the years including a casting deck, trolling motor, a drain plug front and rear depth finders, tackle storage, running lights, etc. I made into what I need for our 10hp limit lakes and for river fishing. It's a very bare bones build compared to some of the projects I see here, but it does what I need it to do.

Another newb to the forum, although very acquainted with boats. Currently restoring a 21' Starcraft Chieftain and parting out a Sidewinder 16SS. Been drooling over an old Feather Craft Vagabond that the owner won't part with. Unfortunately has 6" of water in it and it's own ecosystem. I missed a chance at one for $400 of FB Marketplace :cry:
Hoping to find something similar as our Chieftain is way over HP for our lake.

Howdy from Wyoming, Well, I joined the forum back in 2011 and somehow managed to forget to introduce myself :shock: . I guess I would be sorta kinda considered a new old guy :lol: Better late than never I guess.

Retired from the USAF here in Cheyenne in 1996. I Had a old Sears 14 foot aluminum cartopper my dad gave me when we got here in 1992. Used to go fishing at Fish Trap Lake near Sprauge Washington wirh my dad in that boat when I was a lid. In 1998 had that boat sitting upside down along the driveway when a straightline wind gust picked it up like a leaf and tossed it 75 yards into the field next door. The gunnels got bent up and the hull got a big tear in it. I just could not bear to scrap her due to the sentimental vaule. I got the hull tear welded and straightened the gunnels as best I could and put her up behind the shed. Dad passed away in 2000, In 2010 saw a ad on Craigslist from a guy looking for a old boat he could leave up at his mountain cabin. He had a Kawasaki 160 three wheeler with shaft drive and reverse for trade. That fella did metal work n such and said he would have no problem getting the gunnels right again. So I made the trade, I'm sure my dad would have aproved of that boat residing on a mountain lake. I currently have three tin boats: a 1969 Feather Craft Topper 12, a 1957 Crestliner Buccaneer 15 runabout, and a 1958 Starcraft 16' Constellation runabout.

The 69 Feather Craft is a 12 foot cartopper. It's my goto fishing boat presently. I haul it to the lake on my utlity trailer. She wears a 62 Evinrude Fisherman 5 1/2 HP ountboard. The evinrude is realy cool as it has the capability to mount remote throttle and shift cables.

The 57 Crestliner needs a windshield and and seats. It has been a work in progress and most likely will get sold to fund my boat toy budget.

Currently concentrating on getting the 58 Starcraft spruced up and back on the water. Picked her up in Greeley Colorado a couple years ago for a whoping $150. She was on a 60 Gator model 417 tilt trailer that needs a title (working on getting it titled as as a homemade trailer with an assigned VIN) and some TLC to get it on the road again. Got her sitting on my 96 Shorelandr trailer presently. I sold the 1965 Evinrude 75HP SPEEDIFOUR Electric Start Outboard in the pic as it was just too much motor her. Have a 76 Chrysler 15 HP electric start outboard with remote controls I am planning to mount on her.

Here's a pic:

1bcaAZd.jpg

SmilingBob

:shock: I’m brand new to tin boat, central Texas near Fort Hood, Belton Lake & Stillhouse Lake.

Got some repairs to do quickly. Where do I find that area please & Thank you
Everyone calls me Ziggy!

Cbarnes113 said:
:shock: I’m brand new to tin boat, central Texas near Fort Hood, Belton Lake & Stillhouse Lake.

Got some repairs to do quickly. Where do I find that area please & Thank you
Everyone calls me Ziggy!

Welcome to the forum Ziggy

Depends on what repairs your are wanting to do. Heres's a link:
https://tinboats.net/forum/index.php

Hope this helps

SmilingBob

Old to tin boats but new member.

Had a 80’s Starcraft growing up with a Jonson 20hp and a few other. Got out of it until I decided to find a old boat to fix up for my kids on the local electric only lakes.

Have a old sears 12ft with a Minn Kota c230 they now enjoy and looking at a larger budget boat option now.

Live in the Poconos now and originally from the gulf coast.

Boat is a old 12ft sears that I pressure washed/blasted and then repainted with raptor liner and enamel.

My name is Bobby, I've been sober for-... Whoops! wrong group.

I'm Bobby, from Austin, Texas. HAM radio operator (KX5RAW). My boat's an Alumacraft 1448 NCS Wide Body Custom (a fancy "feel good" way of saying it came from the factory with no center seat, extra float pods in the rear, and a casting deck) with a 6 horse portable Yamaha engine on the transom and a 55 pound thrust Minn Kota Trolling motor up at the bow. Nothing fancy, but she floats and she's so light my tiny truck doesn't even know what she's hooked up.

Hello everyone! I am from Wood River, Il. I have a 14' Starcraft aluminum V-Hull. I am preparing and doing research in order to install a frame and deck with storage to the boat this winter. My plan is to use .125 aluminum square tubing for the frame and 1/2" to 3/4" plywood for the deck. I am not sure about what to do about covering the wood, other than I will be coating it with 2 coats of fiberglass resin to ensure they are water tight. My thoughts were the aluminum frame would be lighter than building it from wood. Since I have a Tig Welder, I will be able to weld the aluminum frame together to make it more sturdy than nuts and bolts. I will also be installing a bow mount trolling motor. I am always open to suggestions, as I am sure some of you have done similar builds.

Thank you!!!