Covid Vaccine?

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
LDUBS

Covid Vaccine?

Post by LDUBS »

CedarRiverScooter wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 20:15 I got my 2nd shingles shot last week. Hit me pretty hard, every arthritic joint I have was sore for days. I hear Covid shot is worse. I would rather have a sore back than bad lungs so I got on the priority list.
I was pretty sore from the shingles shot last time too. But for me it only lasted a couple of days. Had my annual PE on Monday. I just turned 69. Doc says my age slot will probably happen around March.
Have Rod - Will Fish

jethro
Donor

Covid Vaccine?

Post by jethro »

God yes, PLEASE!!! Anything to help get closer to the end of this!
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

BigTerp
Donor

Covid Vaccine?

Post by BigTerp »

Got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Was scheduled to get it between 11-5 pm with other health care workers. Got there at 11 and was behind probably 250 people. Took 2 hours, but well worth it. By the time I was done the line was at least 2.5-3 times as long. I'm guessing 700 people in line. They were also giving it to 65 and older with an appointment. There was such a large turnout that they stopped letting anyone in line at 2:00. A lot of my coworkers missed out due to this. Thankfully, my 86 year old grandfather got his before they shut things down. I cannot imagine how difficult of a task a mass vaccination program like this must be. But my experience was less than ideal. Hopefully they iron out the details as things progress. I'm extremely thankful and grateful that I got mine, and even more so that my grandfather got his. Hopefully this is the beginning of getting things back to as normal as possible.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774

DaleH
Donor

Covid Vaccine?

Post by DaleH »

BigTerp wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 09:05 Hopefully this is the beginning of getting things back to as normal as possible.
We still need to reach the 'herd immunity' for that. The current word is even people vaccinated (2-shots and 7-10 ays PAST the lest shot) should still 'mask up' and socially distance, as one could unknowingly transmit it to someone else.

Other vaccines have proven to prevent some levels of protection against transmission to someone else, once the vaccinated person was fully vaccinated, but at this time per the CDC it is unknown for Covid - it will require more testing (some w/ shot, some w/ a placebo). However, other viruses similar in biological profile suggest that a potential highlevel of prophylactic protection to the public at large will be achieved by this vaccine. Smallpox as a disease FYI, was successfully eradicated due to a very aggressive and fast rollout of the vaccine for it.

For Covid, we still need MILLIONS vaccinated though and while there will always be 'ant-vaccers', as they are called ... I remain STUNNED :shock: at the amount of people who tell me they don't want this vaccine :?: ...

JL8Jeff

Covid Vaccine?

Post by JL8Jeff »

It's really disappointing to see how unprepared the states were for this vaccine rollout. Everybody knew they were in phase III trials months ago so there's really no excuse for being so disorganized. I was hoping we would be closer to normal by early summer, but I don't see it until later in the year at this rate. It seems that most of the people I talk to plan on getting it so that's a good sign. I probably won't be in line until Apr-May time frame if I'm lucky. I'm more worried about my parents getting the vaccine as soon as possible since they're in their 80's with underlying conditions but they haven't been given a time frame yet. :?
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

BigTerp
Donor

Covid Vaccine?

Post by BigTerp »

DaleH wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 10:48
Other vaccines have proven to prevent some levels of protection against transmission to someone else, once the vaccinated person was fully vaccinated, but at this time per the CDC it is unknown for Covid - it will require more testing (some w/ shot, some w/ a placebo). However, other viruses similar in biological profile suggest that a potential highlevel of prophylactic protection to the public at large will be achieved by this vaccine. Smallpox as a disease FYI, was successfully eradicated due to a very aggressive and fast rollout of the vaccine for it.

For Covid, we still need MILLIONS vaccinated though and while there will always be 'ant-vaccers', as they are called ... I remain STUNNED :shock: at the amount of people who tell me they don't want this vaccine :?: ...
Yeah, it's defiantly going to be a long road. But we're headed in the right direction.

EVERY vaccine that protects against infection protects against spread. This one will be the same way. Whether it’s 80% or 90% or 95% or 98% effective against spread remains to be seen, but it’s a meaningfully high number. The issue is getting it out to everyone that wants/needs it.

As to your last point, I could go on and on and on about the selfishness of many. And not just in regards to the vaccine. I at least understand and respect some reasons why people are hesitant on getting it. But I'm not going to get into all of that here.

RaisedByWolves

Covid Vaccine?

Post by RaisedByWolves »

JL8Jeff wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 11:12 It's really disappointing to see how unprepared the states were for this vaccine rollout. Everybody knew they were in phase III trials months ago so there's really no excuse for being so disorganized. I was hoping we would be closer to normal by early summer, but I don't see it until later in the year at this rate. It seems that most of the people I talk to plan on getting it so that's a good sign. I probably won't be in line until Apr-May time frame if I'm lucky. I'm more worried about my parents getting the vaccine as soon as possible since they're in their 80's with underlying conditions but they haven't been given a time frame yet. :?
A few months ago the media was still saying the very idea of have a vaccine ready by the beginning of the year was idiotic.

No way could it be brought to market in such a short time is what they claimed.

Yet here we are.

I wonder how many lives that blunder will cost.
Sailbad the Sinner

LDUBS

Covid Vaccine?

Post by LDUBS »

In my county they have more vaccines than they have people to administer the jabs. Why they didn't involve pharmacies and other med facilities right from the start I don't know. They say they are going to do that now.
Have Rod - Will Fish

CedarRiverScooter

Covid Vaccine?

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

In my county Walgreens & CVS said they have the vaccine but haven't used much of it yet, because they don't know how to contact the nursing homes.

This was on the news, ain't fake. I'm so glad we have people looking out for us.

JL8Jeff

Covid Vaccine?

Post by JL8Jeff »

An article in the paper here in NJ said the gov is complaining about not getting enough vaccine but they haven't administered very much yet and they still don't have a plan on who gets it after the nursing homes and first responders! :?: There is no excuse for this lack of organization/leadership, especially in a pandemic like this.
2001 Lowe Roughneck 1652 VT with Merc 60/45 jet 2 stroke

LDUBS

Covid Vaccine?

Post by LDUBS »

In truth I have to say our distribution plan looks pretty good. It is a tiered approach starting with the most vulnerable. First up are folks in LTC places and health care workers. Next tier is 75+ year olds and first groups of essential worker categories. Then it is 65+ and more essential categories. And so on until it gets to everyone 16+ years old.
Have Rod - Will Fish

bcbouy

Covid Vaccine?

Post by bcbouy »

LDUBS wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 14:07 In my county they have more vaccines than they have people to administer the jabs. Why they didn't involve pharmacies and other med facilities right from the start I don't know. They say they are going to do that now.
we're going through that up here in my province.at this rate my wife and i will be lucky if we get our first shot by june.looks like it will be aug,more than likely.
if all else fails....stop using all else

LDUBS

Covid Vaccine?

Post by LDUBS »

My county had a Q&A press conference yesterday and it looks like things are really ramping up now. They will start using pharmacies including those in Safeway stores (large west coast grocery chain). Additionally, it sounds like they are now opening the vaccination eligibility tiers a little faster than expected. As I understood it, they want to make sure no vaccine goes unused due to shelf life issues, so are opening things up to more people.
Have Rod - Will Fish

LDUBS

Covid Vaccine?

Post by LDUBS »

The County Public Health press conference I listened to says they want about 740k vaccinations out of our total population of a little over 1 million. They say that will knock the virus off the tracks. If that carries forward, I guess that means we need about 210 million Americans vaccinated. CDC says we should be doing a million/day soon.

Mind boggling.
Have Rod - Will Fish

BigTerp
Donor

Covid Vaccine?

Post by BigTerp »

LDUBS wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 03:55
The County Public Health press conference I listened to says they want about 740k vaccinations out of our total population of a little over 1 million. They say that will knock the virus off the tracks. If that carries forward, I guess that means we need about 210 million Americans vaccinated. CDC says we should be doing a million/day soon.

Mind boggling.
That's what is crazy. I've said it before, but I cannot fathom how difficult a massive vaccination program like this must be. Biggest in human history. But still, if you figure we've vaccinated 10 million so far (latest number I've seen reported was 9 million), we've still got 200 million to go. If we do 1 million a day starting today, we hit 210 million on August 1st.