i guess it was my turn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStewart

Reaction score
wife and i put the boat on a small pond last nite and i forgot to put in the plug. #-o we were trolling across pond when i opened front hatch and saw 4 inches of water in boat. :shock: turned around and made it back to shore. we both sat in the back of the boat and used bilge to pump water out. took bout 10 min. only had 2 bites, i missed one( too small to get worm and hook in mouth) and the other just hit it and left.

Been there. I turned around to say something to my bro and saw water seeping up through the floor. We were peeing for about an hour after that. :mrgreen:

Next time you leave the plug out, just leave the plug out and run the boat around at full throttle until all the water drains back out where it came from and then replace the plug. Beats the heck out of pumping the water out. :wink:

my boat doesn't have a drain, but if it did this is what i'd do: get one of those keychain holders that slip on your belt, and clip it on your motor by your pull starter, then keep your plug there. that way you'd see it before you left the dock.
and don't feel bad, it's better than having to swim for your boat :oops:

DocWatson said:
Next time you leave the plug out, just leave the plug out and run the boat around at full throttle until all the water drains back out where it came from and then replace the plug. Beats the heck out of pumping the water out. :wink:

That will work if the plug goes in from inside or if you can reach over the transom to put it in. If I did that I'd have to go swimming to put it in.

Just about made the same mistake with my father in law along. He came back to help me with the straps and we were talking. I was backing the boat in the water before I remembered that I forgot the plug. Yikes.

Next time just look down there and say, "Yep, rinsed that crap out of there, now we can put the plug back." My dad did that when we were underway and he had a foot of water in the bottom of the boat. Said he was rinsing the inside of the boat [with saltwater now]. And just kept on a WOT till it was empty. :)

I can't wait till I forget the boat keys at the house. I know it's going to happen someday. At least I have to have them when I load the trailer because the trailer lock key is on the same ring.

When I was young, we would go throw the cast net. It would make a big mess in the boat due to all the pluff mud around Charleston. After we finished with the net we would wash the boat boat down with buckets of water and then take off with the plug out to drain all the water out of the boat. Worked like a charm.

Did the same thing Sunday,first for me as well.
Remembered though but it was in the water,put it back on the trailer like you...I have 2 drain plugs.

Popeye said:
DocWatson said:

That will work if the plug goes in from inside or if you can reach over the transom to put it in. If I did that I'd have to go swimming to put it in.
The hole is on the inside and the outside, so just put the plug in from the inside. #-o

Sheeesh !!! :wink:

Oh yeah, that's easier said than done. I would have to take my battery out to be able to reach the hole. If I had the room I would love to install remote operated valve for the bilge drain. Flip a switch, drain valve opens, flip it again and the drain valve closes, even if it was a cable operated valve, it would be all right. Wonder if somthing like that could be welded to the outside without causing problems...

I must be a slow learner, I could remember one time I left the plug out of the boat, but my sons tell a different story, they remember 3 times. They were laughing about all 3 and reminding me last night. If no one or nothing was hurt, it will be something to laugh about down the road.

Flintcreek

DocWatson said:
Popeye said:
DocWatson said:

The hole is on the inside and the outside, so just put the plug in from the inside. #-o

Sheeesh !!! :wink:

I don't think my boat goes fast enough on trolling motors to acomplish the underway high-speed drain-out, lol. I'm paranoid I guess, and right after launching, and when my wife is in the boat with me, I always ask her to check to see if any water is in the rear of the boat. If she's not with me I visually check it myself. Ya never know what can happen, lol.

I'm willing to admit I've done this too.

Buddy and I wakeboarded a lot in high school. We had boat launching down to a 2 minute science. Didn't realize the plug was out until we got to the mouth of the ramp bay and the motor cut out. We had enough water in there that it flipped the ignition breaker. We were able to beach it and luckily the bilge pump still worked. Got it back home and found the problem right away. Good waste of a perfectly calm and hot day....

Haven't done it in the tin boat yet...

You can not consider yourself a boater until you leave the plug out, at least once. Me, I've done it multiple times in the same week.

bassboy1 said:
You can not consider yourself a boater until you leave the plug out, at least once. Me, I've done it multiple times in the same week.

How about if you forget the plug, but remember (just in time) to stop on the ramp at water's edge and put it in just before launching? :)

Now I have done both left it out and this morning noticed I had left the plug in, and night before last we had more than 1" of water, surprised it was not standing on end....Got it dried out today...
Flintcreek..

hey flintcreek, hows fishing at wheeler? i pick up at hyosung in decatur quite often and get to see that lake. i would love to fish it.