does it have to be a jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and I noticed that most of this forum is related to small boats which is awesome but I was wondering if other members have larger aluminum boats? Anyone from the great lakes region do any salmon or walleye fishing? Here is a pic of my wife with our 17' Lund Fisherman. I also have a Sea Nymph 14R with a 15 horse Johnson I inherited from my Grandpa.

Attachments

• IMG00050-20090816-1129.jpg
    IMG00050-20090816-1129.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 472
I don't yet, but I am saving towards custom building a welded 20 foot center console (with 2 foot motor setback). 3/16 hull, 150 - 175 outboard. Rig it for striper fishing in inland hydropower reservoirs, and for coastal fishing. Does that count? :lol:

Your Lund is a sweet rig. My dad has a '74 15 foot Lund deep vee, and even back then they built an incredibly stout rig. I don't know how Brunswick is treating them, but I do know that before that, they made one of the most durable riveted hulls on the market.

Welcome aboard Lund brotha. I've got a 16' Explorer same color. Just bass fishin, picture takin, and cigar smokin in my boat. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the warm reception, BassBoy is your custom going to be something you build yourself or one that you spec out to your needs? I never been striper fishing but it looks cool on tv.

Bob, great minds pollute the air alike, nothin beats a good stogie while on the water. heres a larger pic of my avatar

Attachments

• fishing.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 407
Crankworm said:
BassBoy is your custom going to be something you build yourself or one that you spec out to your needs? I never been striper fishing but it looks cool on tv.

Built myself. I am currently 16, and a high school Junior, and my goal is to have at least the hull built by the time I graduate. If I can swing it, I would love to have it rigged with everything, and in the water by that point, but if that can't happen, I would like to have the hull completed.

Stripers (hybrids too), are a fun fish to target. They tend to travel in schools, and at least in comparison to the other fish we can catch here in freshwater, they hit hard and pull fast. If you cross into a school, every rod you have out could go down at once, and have a 10 plus pound fish on each. I love striper fishing about as much as, if not more than I do green bass fishing.

I also love fishing at the coast, which I don't get too that often, mostly for reds, flounder, and tarpon, so this boat will be setup for that as well.

Bob, great minds pollute the air alike, nothin beats a good stogie while on the water. heres a larger pic of my avatar

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Crankworm said:
I'm a newbie and I noticed that most of this forum is related to small boats which is awesome but I was wondering if other members have larger aluminum boats? Anyone from the great lakes region do any salmon or walleye fishing? Here is a pic of my wife with our 17' Lund Fisherman. I also have a Sea Nymph 14R with a 15 horse Johnson I inherited from my Grandpa.

Nice rig! I'm a walleye guy at heart; I grew up on Lake Oahe in South Dakota. I just moved to Eau Claire, WI. Hoping to find some smallies in this area.

How do you feel that size handles out on the big Lakes?

My wife just got sent to Sturgeon Bay on Lake Michigan today and tomorrow for a conference at some resort. She said I should bring my boat and go fishing while she's there. She was amazed when I told her that you don't (really want to) go out on the Great Lakes in a 14 footer with a 15 horse, and that you really need a 17' and some motor to be safe. (or at least that's what I've read)

I'd love a 17 or 18 foot aluminum deep V or one of the new glass hulls, but that won't be in the cards for a couple years, I'm sure.

I've never been to Sturgeon Bay, but you'd be surprized at some of the boats that go out on the big lake. As long as you're behind some breakwater you're ok. I saw 3 guys come in in a boat that they put in the back of a mini van. I'm sure there are some slack water areas around there you could sneak into. Sturgeon Bay is probably the best area in the state for smallies, in case you haven't heard.

Bassboy sounds like an awesome project don't get dicouraged if it takes longer to finish then planned, I have a car project I've been working on for 3years and counting.

Nathan you should try getting out on lake Michigan you will love it. you have to be careful of the weather and learn to pick your days but I grew up fishing perch, walleye, and smallies on lake Huron in the thumb out of my Grandpas 14'er. the 17' handles the big water good I still have to be smart about it(no fishing in 6 foot waves). My dad has a 21' sylvan Pro Fish which is nice because it has way more room but in the waves it doesn't feel near as solid as my Lund. 17 is still kind of small for salmon fishing, not because of the waves but just lack of space 2 people is good, 3 is bit crowded, and 4 means somebody is going to get knocked overboard in the commotion.

I'm right on Lake Michigan just South of the Illinois/Wiscoland border. I take my Tracker ProTeam 190TX out on LM for Salmon and Perch quite a bit. Best I can do is run 6 lines (2 down riggers, 2 Dipseys and 2 leadcore on Walleye boards) when I have a second on board. Even if I had more bodies, I wouldn't have room for more unless I was looking for some serious tangles. Generally go out by myself. When I'm not on LM I try to head to the Fox Chain for some eyes.

Here's a view of the back of my rig.

IMG_1115.jpg

I installed some Tite-Loks so I wasn't trolling with the plastic Scotty rod holders.

NICE!! Another Salmon angler here!

Crankworm said:

I do Salmon fishing on Lake Ontario and Georgian Bay.

Latest posts