Nephew's New PB

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry Bob

Reaction score
52"

52-0011.jpg

Oh, we know that the monster came out of Pewaukee, but nice mis-direction to Favre's new state :D :D

Can you catch one of those on a bass lure or does it have to be a 10-12" lure? My father-in-law wants to try it next time we go out but I don't think I have the equipment for it.

He caught it on a double cowgirl. A huge double bladed bucktail lure.

All my muskies have been caught while bass fishing. My best 45" was on a spinnerbait, and my 41" was on a 4" grub. Odds are better if you go with musky tackle, big fish want big meals, but the bass fishermen get lucky sometimes. One of my piggest pike 40" came on a spinnerbait too.

wasilvers said:
Can you catch one of those on a bass lure or does it have to be a 10-12" lure? My father-in-law wants to try it next time we go out but I don't think I have the equipment for it.

Catch them on bass lures? Yes....long as its a well built bait. Catch them on bass gear....More than likely not. And if you did happen to get one on bass gear, it would more than likely wear it out to the point of exhaustion, which would more than likely lead to death. Not saying it can't be done, but the possible harm to the fish, IMO, is not worth it.

Also, These fish are not like bass.....It's not as simple as just going out to catch one. You are lucky to get a single follow(you almost always see a musky before it hits) in a day, much less catch one.

I was lucky to get started into it with a buddy that had the gear to target these fish. Once I got hooked, then I got my own gear. If possible, I would try to find someone near you(i'm sure there are several) that may be willing to take you out to get a feel for it first, then if you decide you like it before you go out and buy the gear. Musky fishing is not for everyone, I've put in alot of hours for these fish, and have only caught 4 myself since starting last summer. But once you see your first fish, You may as well forget it....You'll be hooked. :mrgreen:

Congrats to your Nephew!!

Bubba said:
Catch them on bass lures? Yes....long as its a well built bait. Catch them on bass gear....More than likely not. And if you did happen to get one on bass gear, it would more than likely wear it out to the point of exhaustion, which would more than likely lead to death. Not saying it can't be done, but the possible harm to the fish, IMO, is not worth it.

Taking time to properly revive the fish is where alot of people make the mistakes leading to the death of a fish. All the Muskie that I have caught have never been on anything larger than 12 lb test line, that's the biggest I use. And have had a couple on 8 lb test. Have been as low as 6 but no success, (break offs). All while bass fishing with spinner baits or live minnows. I have never set out just to fish for Muskies. Allthough if I get some big minnows, I will tie on a steel leader just in case.

That thing is a monster, congrats to your nephew. I have yet to catch a muskie, and have not actually targeted them. Maybe this fall I will give it a real shot. Some of my bass gear will easily be able to handle one of those beasts, but I will have to get a few more monster lures.

Bubba said:
But once you see your first fish, You may as well forget it....You'll be hooked. :mrgreen:

That's what I'm afraid of. I'd be hooked and never catch the fabled 50 incher. Though this guy did it...

That is an awesome fish.

wasilvers said:
Bubba said:
But once you see your first fish, You may as well forget it....You'll be hooked. :mrgreen:

That's what I'm afraid of. I'd be hooked and never catch the fabled 50 incher. Though this guy did it...

That is an awesome fish.

I don't know a ton about Wisconsin, but I do know there are a ton of great fisheries that far north. Actually, If you put in your time....I would say a 50 incher wouldn't be too far fetched depending on what body of water you are fishing.

If you are interested into looking into possible musky around your area, You might check out this site. I know there are alot of guys from up north in your area(state anyway). www.muskiefirst.com

Andy said:
Congrats to your Nephew!!

Bubba said:

Taking time to properly revive the fish is where alot of people make the mistakes leading to the death of a fish. All the Muskie that I have caught have never been on anything larger than 12 lb test line, that's the biggest I use. And have had a couple on 8 lb test. Have been as low as 6 but no success, (break offs). All while bass fishing with spinner baits or live minnows. I have never set out just to fish for Muskies. Allthough if I get some big minnows, I will tie on a steel leader just in case.

I've also read, though, that a properly revived fish will still usually die within 24 hours.

I have no experience with these monster fish, though. Only reports from guys catching big walleye and northern.

Latest posts