Three days and counting...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
In a little less than 3 days this will be my view. It's been 5 years since we've been out to my wife's grandfather's hunting cabin and I'm beyond excited. The lake is a 45 minute float plane trip west of Anchorage AK and is about as far away from it all as you can get. That's Mt. Spurr off in the distance. The cabin, if you want to call it that is a 12x15 shack with a wood stove and bunk beds. For a Georgia boy, this is heaven.

Wish me luck, there's trout in that there lake :)

mt_spurr.jpg

Good greif, that's horrible...... Going to Alaska to chill out and catch fish.... :roll: LOL
Be safe, and catch lots of fish. Are you going to be doing any hunting? Or just fishing?

I'm super jealous! If I wasn't afraid of those little crop dusters I would be out there one day! Bring a camera, I could use a new background image for my Pc's! 8)

Wow,looks great.
What species are in the lake....L.trout,monster pike...?

I think you should take a friend... I've got 15 unused days of vacation that I'm pretty sure I could give up... =D>

but in all honesty, have fun man! I can't wait to make it out to Alaska.. which better not be too far off, but I'm sure we'll do an Alaskan cruise

Have a great trip... My bride is from Alaska she tells me of the the beauty of the state... Lots of her family are commercial fisherman and she always saying what we catch is bait up there :roll: lol ... Maybe I'll get up there before i leave this earth... I don't fly tho :oops: Hope ya catch some nicuns and enjoy ur stay... Wanna hear about it upon ur return...JIGGY

looks like heaven to me too!

your gonna have a blast

a little shack w/ a wood stove in the middle of no where is about as close to a 5 star hotel as it gets to me

Believe me, will be taking my camera. I've only been there once before during the summer 5 years ago. From what I've heard the leaves will already be turning when we get there so will have a different look. Technically this won't be a fishing trip, but I see a zero chance that I won't fish... zero. :) I know there's lake trout in there and the salmon come through their way upstream, but have no idea what else. Her family is full of hunters, not fishermen so they have no idea. Her uncle is coming along to scout for bear. Later in September he'll be out there looking to kill a big Grizzly.

For us that like hunting and fishing Alaska is as good as it gets except that I don't believe they have bass (I could be wrong about that). My wife's great grandfather migrated to AK in the 1890's for the gold rush and that side of her family has been there ever since. We even got married in the Anchorage zoo.... The wife's grandfather bought this place in the late 50's and used the spend the winter out there trapping fur. With the cost of fuel these days it's almost cost prohibitive to go out there though. To get a bush pilot to drop you off and then come back and get you will set you back about a grand.

We're leaving for Anchorage in the morning and will stay till Labor Day but will only get to spend a couple days at the lake. Everywhere in Alaska is awesome though. Any of you guys that can get there really should. Many people that live there first went up for visit then came back, sold everything and moved up there. It truly is the last frontier.

Believe me Russ, I'd love to do a "just the guys" trip to a place like this, would be much fun!

If you only go to Alaska once, do the cruise. It packs a lot of beauty into one trip.

russ010 said:
I think you should take a friend... I've got 15 unused days of vacation that I'm pretty sure I could give up... =D>

but in all honesty, have fun man! I can't wait to make it out to Alaska.. which better not be too far off, but I'm sure we'll do an Alaskan cruise