Bassmaster Elite Series Marshal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Anyone else signed up to be a Marshal for 2010? I just did for the Kentucky Lake Tourny in June.

For those who dont know, it is a new BASS program where you sit in the back of the pro's boat, and have a cell phone thing provided. Everytime them catch a fish you punch the estimated weight in the keypad and send it. Also, you adjust the BassTrak camera on the boat. You dont fish, but from what i hear that makes the pro more willing to talk to you abour what he is doing, and why he is doing it. My fishing parter in a tourny Saturday did it last year. The first day he got Jason Quinn, second day Boyd Duckett, and i forgot the third guy. He loved it and is doing it again this year. It cost 100 bucks to sign up, and you have to stay there on your own money. Yuo are guaranteed 2 days with them, and the third day is the first 50 people to sign up.

You also get a free Marshals hat and jersey, anf i hear they give some free goodies (lures, and such) :D

So how about it...who is coming with me?!?!

Seriously, you PAY $100.00 plus room and board to WATCH someone else fish? :shock:

I gotta start my own pro bass tournament -what a racket

Captain Ahab said:
Seriously, you PAY $100.00 plus room and board to WATCH someone else fish? :shock:

Think about it though, if you wanted to fish with these guys for 8 hours, what do you think it would run you? I'd wager a heck of a lot more than $100. Now you can't fish, but you're on the water, with a professional angler, enjoying the day, observing his fishing locations, lure choices, lure presentations, etc. All you have to do is a little texting and stay out of the way. If someone was on my boat, I'd have to talk with them, just makes the day more enjoyable. That sounds like a great opportunity to me.

I'm sure it would be nice to be on the water with a pro, and a nice experience, but I can't see paying $100 to do it. I have a back, and sometimes front seat almost every day with a pro. Thanks to Direct TV, and I can even rewind if I missed something. :D

I hope you get it.

Captain Ahab said:

I gotta start my own pro bass tournament -what a racket

Exactly...

My aunt and uncle were tournament directors for the Red Man Tournament Traill before it became the FLW. I spent several summers in high school and college travelling the country with them, driving the equipment van, hauling one of the 2 boats needed and helping set up for the tournaments. I would always just as soon take a beating as have to sit in the boat and watch one of the guys fish all day long if they couldn't find someone that wanted to marshall (or were short on coanglers). There's not anything much more boring than watching someone else fish for 10 hours that doesn't want to be bothered while they're fishing. This was back in the day before BASS figured out that guys would pay handsomely for the opportunity... it used to be free. :lol:

Wow, wasnt expecting this from relatively non-tournament anglers. The only people that are all worked up about it is the guys who fished the co-angler series that was before this Marshal program. Before, the pros would hold back, and guard themselves because they didnt want to give anything away to the person in the back of the boat fishing. Now you are not a threat to them at all, and from what i hear, most of them enjoy this and go as far as to show what they are looking at on their fishfinders.

About the money it cost. For one, they have to charge money because they took away the co-angler. Before the co-angler was paying to fish, now they have to replace that. Also, how many of you have paid 100 plus dollars to watch a football, baseball, basketball, or any other major sport and sat a hundred feet away. I will be 10 feet from a real pro (not an FLW half-way pro :D) watching and learning.

The ones that have the opinion of "100 bucks that stupid!" probably cant have thier minds changed, but i bet if they did it, they would have a blast. And, i have spent 100 bucks on WAY worse things.

ilinimud said:
Also, how many of you have paid 100 plus dollars to watch a football, baseball, basketball, or any other major sport and sat a hundred feet away.

I couldn't have made a better point myself, I totally agree. If I had the money to burn, I wouldn't mind sitting in with one of these guys for the day just to say I did. Would much rather do that than pay big bucks to watch any sports game while sitting in some cramped bleachers. Be riding in style all day with one of these pros. :)

Id do it just for the experience of saying i have done it, I also love the fishing shows but sometimes I just want to see uncut footage of a pro fishing instead of the condensed version of a day out fishing that you see on ESPN or on fishing videos

The accountant in me is coming out today... Cost of the sports alone, no travel, meals, etc...

Packer Football NFL Game
Cost $100 backrow ticket
Time: 1 hour game time - 4 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$100 game , $25 entertainment hour

Milwaukee Bucks NBA Game
Cost $37 nosebleed tickets
Time: 1 hour game time - 2.5 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$37 game , $14.80 entertainment hour

Milwaukee Brewer MLB game
Cost $45 backrow ticket
Time: ? hour game time - 4 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$? game , $11.25 entertainment hour

Bass Marshall
Cost $100 front-row ticket
Time: 8 hours - 9 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$12.50 game , $11.11 entertainment hour

Of course you need to like riding around - but it looks like it's the best deal going... JMHO 8)

wasilvers said:
The accountant in me is coming out today... Cost of the sports alone, no travel, meals, etc...

Packer Football NFL Game
Cost $100 backrow ticket
Time: 1 hour game time - 4 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$100 game , $25 entertainment hour

Milwaukee Bucks NBA Game
Cost $37 nosebleed tickets
Time: 1 hour game time - 2.5 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$37 game , $14.80 entertainment hour

Milwaukee Brewer MLB game
Cost $45 backrow ticket
Time: ? hour game time - 4 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$? game , $11.25 entertainment hour

Bass Marshall
Cost $100 front-row ticket
Time: 8 hours - 9 hours entertainment time
Per hour cost :$12.50 game , $11.11 entertainment hour

Of course you need to like riding around - but it looks like it's the best deal going... JMHO 8)

:LOL2: Busy Friday I see! :beer:

That's fine. If you draw a jerk, don't say somebody didn't tell you it was possible...

I'll not touch the pro vs wannabe comment. Without namedropping, I figure I was probably riding in boats with guys that have reached the professional angler pinnacle and have now pretty much retired before you were even born. :lol:

Quackrstackr said:
That's fine. If you draw a jerk, don't say somebody didn't tell you it was possible...

Agreed! Probably more jerks than nice guys actually.

I won't be doing it because I like my days too much and Im' too cheap. If I'm going to lay out $100, I'm going to play a volleyball tourney and hopefully/likely win my $ back plus some.

Someday I'd like to fish a tournnament or two where I actually feel confident that I can place in top 10 every time. I can catch fish, but not enough and not in water over 8 feet deep. I gotta work on that aspect first - then watchout - Someday you guys might be sitting in the back of MY boat, watching me put to use all the tips I've picked up here! Just keep an eye out for that tinboats.net sticker on the side of my rig as I putter away from the launch!

:D

id pay 200 if they'd let me drink coldns in the back [-o<

getting stuck with a weenie would be the pits though, but i'd hope there were more good ole boys than hoytie toyties out there fishin

Quackrstackr said:

I'll not touch the pro vs wannabe comment. Without namedropping, I figure I was probably riding in boats with guys that have reached the professional angler pinnacle and have now pretty much retired before you were even born. :lol:

LoL, all i know is that people in the Elite Series dont have to fish a Ranger to qualify! :shock:

ilinimud said:
LoL, all i know is that people in the Elite Series dont have to fish a Ranger to qualify! :shock:

They would if Ranger was the primary sponsor of BASS and they were named after the founder of the company... :wink:

Different strokes for different folks, it sounds pretty interesting to me, I dont know bout being on the boat with Ike, you might get a foot upside the head during one of those break dancing moves, maybe get barfed on, or even loose you hearing. :mrgreen:

For $25.00 I will take anyone out fishing and let them watch - and I will catch fish

For $50.00 I will not talk

and for $100.00 they can actually fish as well

or............................

Just go fishing on your own. To equate bass fishing with professional athletics is absurd.

Latest posts