I hate locking keys in the truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
seems like every other time i get the boat in the water and go to park the truck i get too excited and lock my keys in it. its never been a problem before because i keep a spare taped to my liscense plate, but yesterday evening it was no were to be seen. probably on the side of a highway

well... tryed jerking down the window. done it a few times but it usually only works on old worn out regulators. plan b.. cut the back winder out.. got about a foot cut out before i quit do to scratching the paint up

lets think of a plan C... fishing time is getting smaller as im getting more swetty and pissed off. out comes the old screwdriver to the door handle. eventually broke it off peice by peice untill i could get ahold of the linkages to unlock it

yah yah yah i thaught about calling a locksmith and i actually did call all 3 locksmiths in the area. none could come out. so i recon a 40 dollar door handle beats a 100 dollar locksmith bill

broke my vent visor too :oops:

and all in all, caught 1 little bass and a few small perch. one of them days when i should of stayed home enjoying a cold'n

i hope im not the only one in the boat.. :mrgreen:

now ive got to ponder weather i should get my back winder resealed the correct way (100 bucks) or try some good ole country engineering

I do it often too... but I keep a spare key to the truck in my wallet... I never leave home without it so I don't worry bout locking my keys in

My tow vehicle has the electronic locks - you can lock it remotely so you have to have your keys in your hand to lock the car.

But like Jim, I don't leave it locked usually. I figure it would cost me more to replace the broken window than replacing anything they could take.

Sucks that you keep doing that to yourself. Have you thought about a Magnetic Key Case ?? Tape will always fail when used in a situation where it is exposed to the weather and road conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry, etc) Or, as Russ said, keep a key in your wallet or even your tacklebox. You could also use Gorilla glue to stick a piece of steel (painted, of course) under a seat on your tin boat and use the magnetic key holder to keep one there. All less hassle and less expensive alternatives to beating up your truck. :wink:

wasilvers said:
But like Jim, I don't leave it locked usually. I figure it would cost me more to replace the broken window than replacing anything they could take.

You mean like your truck ??? :roll:

Insurance companies don't like to pay for vehicles stolen or damaged because of what they call "owner neglect" (fancy tearm to get out of paying a claim) and have been known to raise rates for years if you file one.

I always lock mine at the ramp. Some of the lowlifes that cruise the ramps around here will take everything that's not bolted on if you give them the opportunity.

I once replaced two bad batteries in my boat on the way to the lake. When I got back that afternoon, the two bad batteries were gone from the bed of my truck. I guess some meth head looking for some easy money thought that he had hit the jackpot. Little did he know that he did me the favor of having to get rid of them. :lol:

My truck has the remote locks on the fob but I also splurged on the door pad for this one. I love it. No keys needed.

Have you thought about a Magnetic Key Case

got one first thing this morning along with 2 spares. hopefully it will be my last time :roll:

the keypads on the doors of fords are nice. wish chevy would of done somthing like that

Loggerhead Mike said:
Have you thought about a Magnetic Key Case

got one first thing this morning along with 2 spares. hopefully it will be my last time :roll:

the keypads on the doors of fords are nice. wish chevy would of done somthing like that

Get a DUI. The state will put one on for free. :roll: :LOL2:

Use a small zip tie/nylon wire tie and tie it to something under the truck out of sight but that you can get to in an emergency. Use a small enough one that breaks easy without bending the key when removing the key. It will hold better than tape.

Quackrstackr said:
I always lock mine at the ramp. Some of the lowlifes that cruise the ramps around here will take everything that's not bolted on if you give them the opportunity.

I once replaced two bad batteries in my boat on the way to the lake. When I got back that afternoon, the two bad batteries were gone from the bed of my truck. I guess some meth head looking for some easy money thought that he had hit the jackpot. Little did he know that he did me the favor of having to get rid of them. :lol:

My truck has the remote locks on the fob but I also splurged on the door pad for this one. I love it. No keys needed.

A few yrs ago a friend of mine stopped to get something to drink at a small roadside store after a day of fishing. When he came out he noticed that his battery and his anchor were gone out of his boat. I guess the thieves had their own anchor rope. They cut it off the anchor and left it. :roll:

I keep a spare in my wallet to. Learned the hard way. Before moving to Texas I used to visit about once a month to see my girlfriend. On a trip back home at about 12 or 1 in the morning and had to stop to get air in a low tire. Middle of nowhere and nothing open. Truck running and heater and radio going. Got out and arm hit the lock. Ended up braking back small slider window. Have carried one ever since and had to use it a few times.

Latest posts