Numerous questions from the last fishing trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
So the fishing trip yesterday left me with a few questions. I looked online but can't really find any answers. So here goes.

I caught a bigger bass under one dock - then saw 5 other people fish the same dock inside of an hour. Of course I tried it again unsuccessfully - so question 1

#1 Dock Fishing
A. How many mature bass will a single dock hold?
B. Does it matter how many dock supports (poles) are in the water?
C. Do you catch more fish under floating docks, docks with metal poles, or docks with wooden poles?
D. Do you hit docks early in the morning or wait till the morning bites die down after a few hours?

Since this is my first year with a boat, I've always fished ledges from the shore/shallow side. I had the opportunity to fish from the deeper side yesterday. So question 2

#2 Ledge fishing
A. Do you fish from the shallow side, park the boat right on the ledge and fish to the sides, or fish from the deep side?
B. Does it just depend on the wind. I was thinking I should park the boat with the wind so I didn't have to push water with the trolling motor towards the ledge and possible fish. Thought that didn't matter to the one bass that hit a worm 4 feet from the prop while it was running in his face!

Also an item that make a real difference, Don't forget your polarized sunglasses when fishing clear lakes, I could see about 10-12 feet down just like it was the aquariums at Cabelas. REALLY fun. This was the first time I remembererd them in about 10 trips. I never knew all that cool structure was down there. It doesn't show up on any maps!

Thanks for any help!

fish devil said:
:twisted: Are you fishing for smallmouth or largemouth bass?

Largemouth Bass is my primary target. I've never really caught smallmouth except by accident.

:twisted:

#1 Dock Fishing

A. It all depends on how big the dock. A more complex dock system can contain many quality fish. A 10x10 might only have one dominant fish.

B. To me the more the better. Fish will usually hang around these posts.

C. I prefer docks with posts but on really hot sunny days floating docks always contain fish. Also try skipping lures as far as you can underneath the docks. Tubes and worms are a good choice.

D. I hit docks all times of the day. You will always find largemouth around wood, cover, structure. Don't be afraid to go back a few times

Check out this fish I picked up last year at the edge of the dock in the background. I hit this area at least three different times that day.......

Attachments

• davis_mill_pond_5lb 8oz.jpg
    davis_mill_pond_5lb 8oz.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 246
Look for docks with adjacent deeper water and weeds etc. The more stuff in the surrounding area the better - the fish with more from feeding station to resting or hiding areas - Sooooooooooo, if they are not under the dock where you found them before try to figure where they might be - most bass do not just swim far away from a spot they like - but they might move off a few hundred yards if pressured

Of course, as the seasons and water temps change the bass will ikely move - but that is a gradual thing

Gotta think like a fish!

As for ledge fishing you need to read this: ... This is one of the best Bass guides in the country he is renowned in these parts... hope ya get something from this... JIGGY...

https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lakesarea/fishing/article.htm

I like the older looking docks as well.
If theres growth on the structure,you have a good food chain reaction.
Unless it's blowing real hard and I'm having a hard time controling the boat,I seldom throw to the dock directly first.Start 10' out first(depending on depth),working your way in,,,may catch numbers that way.

jigster60 said:
As for ledge fishing you need to read this: ... This is one of the best Bass guides in the country he is renowned in these parts... hope ya get something from this... JIGGY...

https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lakesarea/fishing/article.htm

Wow, I read the first three sections of the link and it summed up all I had learned in hours of research this summer! I had to stop, I was learning too much! Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the info on docks. With the clear lake I've been trying to learn this summer-I've notice that docks where I can't see the bottom usually hold good bites. Docks too shallow, I might get a bit, but usually it is smaller fish. With bigger docks, as I think back, I needed to hold the bait there for a while. Maybe it gave the time for the older fish to get there? I never thought to look for old, growing docks and I usually skipped floating docks. Hmmm - things to try before the summer is over!

fishdevil - Thanks for the info and the picture. Very nice bass and makes me willing to try it more than once.

Will

Latest posts