Ideas on how to improve TinBoats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
i am always thinking of ways to make things better and this site is no different. I love the group of members that we have - lots of active participants, great answers to questions and funny as all heck!

BUT......................... there is always a way to make things better! There was a suggestion made a few months back about an organized index to help find "how to" stuff regarding boat mads - i like that and think we should follow up a little.

I would also like to see some organized fishing journals - so you can go back and look at what was cuaght when. maybe broken down by region?

Who else has ideas??

I wonder what you think of a category called "resources" where members could post where they get hard to find items. Everybody knows about Lowe's and Cabela's but there are a lot of stores and vendors out there that aren't so well known. I spent a lot of time on line looking for parts for my modifications and found that if you really look around you can find good deals. It would save other members a lot of time if they could go directly to sources that others have already found useful or dependable. Right now that information is in the posts but you have to look a little to find it. A separate category would just make it easier to find - like an Angie's List for fishermen.

Loggerhead Mike said:
CASH prizes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i'd think some sticky's on the most common "how to's" would be a great idear

We are willing to do that - I trust you will supply the prize money?

BTW - just so you all know, Jim supplies the prizes at his expense, these are not donated - he pays for each one

Captain Ahab said:
BTW - just so you all know, Jim supplies the prizes at his expense, these are not donated - he pays for each one

We all know Jim makes the big bucks....So I vote for bigger better prizes! Lets see some St. Croix rod giveaways.... :mrgreen: :lol:

Jim said:
Bubba said:
Captain Ahab said:

We all know Jim makes the big bucks

Yeah I wish! :D

:LOL22:

I do agree tho, Stickies of the "common" questions would be nice. Or even maybe something like a "read only" FAQ section.

Captain Ahab said:
i am always thinking of ways to make things better and this site is no different. I love the group of members that we have - lots of active participants, great answers to questions and funny as all heck!

BUT......................... there is always a way to make things better! There was a suggestion made a few months back about an organized index to help find "how to" stuff regarding boat mads - i like that and think we should follow up a little.

I would also like to see some organized fishing journals - so you can go back and look at what was cuaght when. maybe broken down by region?

Who else has ideas??

I am a stuffy old snob mod that is set in his ways and refuses to change. [-X

:LOL22:

I vote for the resources addition and a section dedicated to painting tips and techniques.

bassboy1 said:
Captain Ahab said:
Who else has ideas??

Ban Ahab. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :LOL22: :LOL22:

LOL and maybe he'll take that pesky little bug with him, but then again, what would we do without the Capn'.....

I like the resources idea. I'm not quite sure how the "search" function is set up, if it searches a particular section or the whole site, but when you would go to resources, type in what you're looking for in the search bar and have it only search the resources section...??

About the prizes for tournaments, Could there be "donation" tourny's? People send Jim rods, reels, tackle, electronics etc that they don't use and he then sends them out for prizes? Just 'cause stuff is second hand don't mean it don't work, just make sure it DOES work....

Andy said:
About the prizes for tournaments, Could there be "donation" tourny's? People send Jim rods, reels, tackle, electronics etc that they don't use and he then sends them out for prizes? Just 'cause stuff is second hand don't mean it don't work, just make sure it DOES work....

I wouldnt mind donating some lures. I can make up a few of my popular patterns.

Now, I thought that the sponsors donated some of the gifts/prizes for the monthly drawings/tournaments, etc. ??? I didn't know that Jim paid for all those prizes. Back about 2 years ago, we took up a collection to provide Jim some cash to offset some of his expenses (or maybe it was a Christmas gift - I don't remember anymore). Maybe it's time for our members to join together and make another donation. This is a great site, with lots of members now (only 100 or so when I joined, now really growing large) - a couple of bucks from each member would really help out with the operating/mainteance/gift expenses that Jim has to handle. I'm not going so far as to recommend an annual membership fee - just maybe a small donation to help offset his costs. Any thoughts?

FishingCop said:
Now, I thought that the sponsors donated some of the gifts/prizes for the monthly drawings/tournaments, etc. ??? I didn't know that Jim paid for all those prizes. Back about 2 years ago, we took up a collection to provide Jim some cash to offset some of his expenses (or maybe it was a Christmas gift - I don't remember anymore). Maybe it's time for our members to join together and make another donation. This is a great site, with lots of members now (only 100 or so when I joined, now really growing large) - a couple of bucks from each member would really help out with the operating/mainteance/gift expenses that Jim has to handle. I'm not going so far as to recommend an annual membership fee - just maybe a small donation to help offset his costs. Any thoughts?

You guys are the best! :beer:

But I refuse to take any donations and will never charge a membership fee. The advertisers pay a small monthly fee which helps offset the costs for the "fun and cool" stuff we do. If you really want to help out the site.............

1, make a few (at least 4) posts per month.
2, If purchasing anything, please consider and support the sponsors first.

That's it!

Jim said:
FishingCop said:

You guys are the best! :beer:

But I refuse to take any donations and will never charge a membership fee. The advertisers pay a small monthly fee which helps offset the costs for the "fun and cool" stuff we do. If you really want to help out the site.............

1, make a few (at least 4) posts per month.
2, If purchasing anything, please consider and support the sponsors first.

That's it!

Jim's da man :!: =D> =D> =D>

I like the resources idea and the index idea too. I noticed that some of the same questions are asked over and over again. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone, but if there was a section that answered these questions then we could just link to that thread.
Also the boat mods are all through that section. It would take weeks to go through every thread and look at everything that is there. I wish there was a way to link some of the more noteworthy mods (ones with very detailed writeups and pics). That would make it easier for everyone to look through.

I know it is a pipe dream....but it sounded good at the time :LOL2:

Jim,

I know that I am not that helpful to all, but have found this site very useful in my own build as well as fishing tips and all.

Thanks for a great site, and thanks to all that have shared their knowledge and answered my questions without making me sound stupid. I know, "There is no such thing as a stupid question" but still feel that I test the waters with this theory....

Regardless, Thanks for all the help and imput!!!

I, too, would like to see a "how to" section. I have a notebook full of posts I've gotten off of this site for a yet-to-be-built boat. Whenever I see a post on something I think I will be able to use at a later date but know I will never again find, such as what gauge wire to use where, what kind of paint to use, or how to repair a crack in aluminum, I print it and keep it in a notebook. I find that sometimes I just can't locate it again although I know I've seen it somewhere in the site. It could be that I'm not using the right search words or maybe I'm just having a senior moment, but when I need it the most sometimes I just can't seem to locate a post I know I've seen.

A section on "Electrical", for example, is fine, but it covers everything from outboard to trolling motors, boat wiring, and trailer wiring. Maybe breaking it down further with subsection on each of these topics would help refine a search and make it less time consuming. Regarding the front deck, maybe a section on "Hatches" and how to build them would be useful. I see this question asked from time to time, but doing a search on "hatches" turns up lots of posts that mention hatches peripherally but have no information on how to build them. Just a thought and it may be too time-consuming to even consider.

Latest posts