Lessons I Learned from Fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishtn

Reaction score
I posted this on Crappie.com Thought I'd post it here too. Love to hear some replies.

Thought I'd relate some things that I have learned over 45 years of fishing.

1. Canoe + crappie pole = Flathead catfish (every time.).

2. When you take waders to work and fish on your lunch hour, you WILL hook a carp and it WILL wrap around your legs and trip you in the moss. (especially if you wear a tie to work.)

3. If you go to get bait from a bucket on the bank and your friend has disappeared, he uncovered a yellowjacket nest looking for crickets, RUN.

4. If you are Sauger fishing in winter and warming your feet with sterno, that hole in the carpet of the boat deck that is getting slowly bigger is not an optical illusion. STEP ON IT!

5. (related to #4) Sterno burns with an invisible flame.

6. DO NOT leave the largest walleye you ever caught in the cooler, in the boat, so you can get a glass of tea and show your wife. Racoons are remarkably intelligent. (and the scales are hard to get out of your boat carpet.)

7. Do not leave bluegill on a stringer tied to a tree near camp if there are turtles. Heads really don't have much meat on them.

And my personal favorite,

8. If you go crappie fishing at 5 in the morning, and get a pound of minners in a bag filled with oxygen, NEVER, NEVER, hold the bag with the same hand as your cigarette. Looked like the Hindenberg in close up. Took 10 minutes to catch the minnows off the boat ramp. And burned my fingers. (but the light show at 5 in the morning was something magnificent.) :?

Please feel free to add your own musing, as surely I can't be the only one that has learned anything over the years.

Even if it is how truly dumb I am.

Joe Hiller

Good stuff!

The only one I have is leave the cell phone in the plastic bag you put it in to protect it from water - do not take it out to use while killing time in a rainstorm.... Doh!

NO. 5 sounds familiar, had a snapping turtle take the whole nylon cord full of gills that was hanging over the side of the boat, while we were fishing ! #-o

Here is one for ya.!D
[-X
Never wash your hands over the side of the boat in a lake where there are lots of Pike and Muskie or Tiger Muskie. My granddad had a hand full of stitches to show why !! about 75 if I remember right.!

May I add one? When changing crankbaits, always put the one you're taking off back in the tacklebox, never on the seat of the boat. Saw it happen once and the guy was having a devil of a time using a tiller handle to drive the boat while standing up.

Latest posts