It was bound to happen.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river_wolf

Reaction score
Well, had a long day at work with a customer on the floor had issues with the machines they were buying, but through it all, got it done. As soon as the customer was off the floor, the Director of manufacturing called me to his office to give me my pink slip. He wasnt supposed to do it until tomorrow but felt bad about having to let me go so as a favor, let me have it tonight so I didnt come in to work tomorrow thinking I still had a job.

Well, guess tomorrow I will sleep in, then go clean out my desk and come home to find something to keep my hands occupied. I have worked all my life and dont really know what to do here.....

Sorry, just had to vent to someone....

Happened to me in the beginning of April. I went and purchased a boat the day after. It is just a road block. Keep your head up and everything will be fine.

Yeah, Well, on the bright side, just in time for Hunting season! and I can start that work on the boat now too I guess, Not to mention, I have three bikes around here I need to get running and .... and... and.... Well that is until I get the Honey do list..... LOL

Trying to make the best of it.

keep your head up.... and all will work out in the end as god never puts more on us than we can handle.
it may be the best thing in the long run.

Yep, it sucks alright, but I hope you can find something quickly (if you want to). I had to let a guy in my department go this past month as well. What really sucks is that our department is up in Total Sales and GPM from last year at the same time; but as a whole the company is lower. So the owner said I had to make a cut also. When he is ready I will help him find a good job, I know lots of people in the industry.

Very sucky :cry:

If it's any consolation, my manufacturing clients are starting to pick up again (I'm a CPA here). One is even hiring again. So there might be some truth to Bernacke's statement that the recession is over (though I think he just said that without any proof). Everything here (WI) seems poised to take off in the next month or so for manufacturer's lots of quotes are being followed up on - work is starting on some of them. For the rest of the economy, well, it seems to follow suit 5-6 months later. Two of my biggest manufacturer's actually made money last month - one for the last 3 months. They are even buying new equipment and expanding their business now.

A lot of companies are in survival mode for now. Their reserves have been eaten up, the owners have put as much money as they can spare into them. Banks are seeing the turnaround coming and are starting to pressure for forclosure (so they can sell the assets off .... mmmm - makes me mad). A lot of banks are not renewing lines, even for healthy/mostly healthy companies. The old saying, you can't borrow money unless you have money - is becoming true again.

I wouldn't expect you'll be out of work for long.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight and let HIM show you how HE cares.

wasilvers said:
Very sucky :cry:

If it's any consolation, my manufacturing clients are starting to pick up again (I'm a CPA here). One is even hiring again. So there might be some truth to Bernacke's statement that the recession is over (though I think he just said that without any proof). Everything here (WI) seems poised to take off in the next month or so for manufacturer's lots of quotes are being followed up on - work is starting on some of them. For the rest of the economy, well, it seems to follow suit 5-6 months later. Two of my biggest manufacturer's actually made money last month - one for the last 3 months. They are even buying new equipment and expanding their business now.

A lot of companies are in survival mode for now. Their reserves have been eaten up, the owners have put as much money as they can spare into them. Banks are seeing the turnaround coming and are starting to pressure for forclosure (so they can sell the assets off .... mmmm - makes me mad). A lot of banks are not renewing lines, even for healthy/mostly healthy companies. The old saying, you can't borrow money unless you have money - is becoming true again.

I wouldn't expect you'll be out of work for long.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight and let HIM show you how HE cares.

Thanks! Well, we actually rode the gravy train while others were getting theirs. I was the assembly manager for a company that made packaging machines, for ready to eat foods and snack products, so when it first hit, a lot of people were starting to eat in more and take lunches to work which gave us the boost. But now that the market for our machines has pretty much stabilized, the orders are dropping off. So I can't really complain. Just a bummer that it happened like it did.

3 years ago, the place I worked closed it's doors in my state after 8 years. We knew it was coming but didnt know when. Took me a while to find a job, but was a contractor in I.T. for the local hospital with no benifits and I had to do my own taxes since I was technically self employeed. After 8 months, a company came to town in the same building where I had worked. I got the job doing the same job as i did with the previous company! This company was a outsource company for DirecTV customer service. My office was on the same floor, had the same building layout and desks, just new computers. 2 years later that company was having issues and filed for Bankruptcy and this location was sold to DirecTV so now its a owned and operated location. We all got to keep our jobs. So this makes the 3rd company in the same building making more money. I now work for DirecTV in their I.T. department for the customer service call centers.

Trust me, things will get better!!

In that boat too, except I got fired under false judgment and the two people who could have helped me out didn't out of fear for there own jobs. I don't hold it against them. I didn't get unenjoyment either, turned down because they didn't tell the whole story, or all the truth.

I am truly sorry to hear about your position. I never got fired over an issue like that, but had my position judged because of a simular situation. Needless to say, it was while I was in the military so I had a little latitude in how I handled the situation. needless to say, the truth did come out and some were sorry when it did.

I know the civilian world doesnt work that way, and that is a hard part of life that I am learning now that I am in the clivilian world.

Sorry to hear about it River...

If you wanna go wet a line, lemme know.

Brine

For what it's worth, the same thing happened to me last year, and it's turned out to be the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. My position with the state of Georgia was eliminated due to the budget cuts and I never saw it coming. Fortunately, I had just enough time in to get retirement and the health benefits that go along with it and after taking some time to get my breath back I began to assess the situation. To make a long story short, my wife and I formed a consulting company doing the same thing I was doing for the state but making more money and working less to get it. Even better, because we can do consulting from anywhere, we moved back to Knoxville (my home and where I got my Ph.D. at the University of Tennessee) to be close to my beloved Smokies and TVA lakes. We never liked Atlanta, and the cost of living is much less in Knoxville, the stress is less, and my 40-minute commute is gone.

Everything I'm reading says it's a great time to be an entrepreneur or to start your own business if the start up costs aren't too great. Is there something you can do that would allow you to work for yourself? Is there anything I can do to help?

Everything I'm reading says it's a great time to be an entrepreneur or to start your own business if the start up costs aren't too great. Is there something you can do that would allow you to work for yourself? Is there anything I can do to help?[/quote said:
Well there are a few things I can do, but most of them would land me in jail!!! :LOL2: