Lightning Accident Lake Charles,La. Public Fatality

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
All of us Tinboaters need to be careful!!!

Quote: Attached are photos of a lightning strike accident on Old Black Bayou near Lake Charles , La. This occurred a week or so ago and resulted in one fatality and the other individual injured. They were attempting to pick up anchor when the lightning bolt struck from an approaching thunderstorm. Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are at risk of being struck by lightning. If on a lake the Safest thing to do is get off the lake ASAP. Laying in the bottom of a boat whether metal or fiberglass offers no protection.

Attachments

• image4[1].JPG
    image4[1].JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 487
  • image3[1].JPG
    image3[1].JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 487
  • image2[1].JPG
    image2[1].JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 487
For sale!
One gently used aluminum boat. Just needs a pressure washing and a little JBWeld to be good as new. I'd fix it myself, but just don't have the time and my girlfriend refused to fish with me anymore. Motor ran last time out, but could use a cleaning too. Might need to replace the motor cover as the old one as a few marks, but it's up to you. Trailer is in great shape! Sorry no picts, but my camera batteries are dead.

Willing to ship for the right price!

Call 1-800-555-9876

:LOL2:

wasilvers said:
For sale!
One gently used aluminum boat. Just needs a pressure washing and a little JBWeld to be good as new. I'd fix it myself, but just don't have the time and my girlfriend refused to fish with me anymore. Motor ran last time out, but could use a cleaning too. Might need to replace the motor cover as the old one as a few marks, but it's up to you. Trailer is in great shape! Sorry no picts, but my camera batteries are dead.

Willing to ship for the right price!

Call 1-800-555-9876

:LOL2:
Finally killed off the wife and got a girlfriend, eh ??? :LOL2: :wink:

Waterwings said:
:shock: Looking at the photos, I'm guessing the fuel tank exploded from the lightening strike?
I'd have to believe that the lightening did all that damage. With two conductors present (tin boat and water) the strike itself could have easily blown out that hole in the sid of the boat. But it is right where the gas tank would be sitting, isn't it ??? :shock:

I've always heard it could happen but never seen proof. I worked in the oilfields offshore for a couple of years and saw a shrimp boat get hit twice before it went up in flames. We had to launch our lifeboats to retrieve the shrimpers. No one was hurt except one guy was bleeding from his ears. I guess the percussion.

Latest posts