Who's schoolin' who - or - somebody stop me if I'm whining

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The continuing story of teaching my partner T to fish...So it's a perfect Saturday, maybe one of the last this fall. Temp's in the mid-seventies, calm and sunny. A perfect day to fish. We got hung up in traffic leaving town but managed to get on the water by 1:00 or so. There were only two other boats on the lake. We tried some top-water fishing for a while but resorted to our stand-by mode, trolling along the weed beds. Given the calm day and few boats on the lake I thought it was also a good time for T to practice running the motor. To make a long story short, T hooked 10 fish and landed eight of them including this respectable bass...
P1010004.jpg

Within about two hours of taking over driving the boat she was completely in control of the situation. When she would get a strike she would set the hook and to keep both hands on the rod and reel, moved the shift lever into neutral with her foot. Gentlemen, it was a beautiful thing to behold. I, on the other hand went the entire day without so much as a strike. I managed to redeem myself literally in the last 10 feet of the last run of the day with a 30" northern. I was reeling in my line and the fish struck on the way in. In the future I will be dropping the idea of "teaching" and simply refer to my "assisting" T with her fishing successes.

I enjoy putting a "newbie" on fish almost as much as I do catching them myself. With that said, it is hard to look like you know what you are doing when they are catching and you are not!

Nice photo

Awesome! What lake where you on? I was on Cedar(Aitkin) this weekend looking for Muskie. I was also enjoying being on the lake by myself. That is until :40 after sunrise when 10 boats filled up the bay with one dude yelling "ok we start at 8:00 catch those bass" and right on the dot all 10 of them WOT'd out of the bay. :roll: :roll: I guess it was time for me to move out of that bay as well.

Good job my friend as long as someone is catching fish its all good, look at it as the teacher doing a great job with the lesson plan. =D>

danmyersmn said:
Awesome! What lake where you on? I was on Cedar(Aitkin) this weekend looking for Muskie. I was also enjoying being on the lake by myself. That is until :40 after sunrise when 10 boats filled up the bay with one dude yelling "ok we start at 8:00 catch those bass" and right on the dot all 10 of them WOT'd out of the bay. :roll: :roll: I guess it was time for me to move out of that bay as well.

I was on Zumbra just east of Victoria on Hwy 5 west of the Cities. There are a lot of nice small lakes around there including Piersons Lake that has muskies in it. If you're not familiar with the MN DNR Lakefinder, check it out. Go to this address https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html and click on "Recreation Compass" on the right side near the bottom. That link will take you to an interactive map of MN. Zoom in on any area, click the lake and if there is DNR info on the lake it will come up. The little red dot on the lake is the location of the public access. Click on it and it will give you directions to the access as well as info about the access such as parking facilities and the kind of boat ramp (ie. gravel, concrete, etc.). Many of the lakes have net survey info, stocking records and lake maps that you can print, either TIFF or PDF formats. We pay a lot of taxes here in MN, but this is one of the rewards. The MN DNR does a good gob. BTW, the state record largemouth bass was taken on Auburn, just a couple of miles from Zumbra.

Latest posts