Back from vacation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
My wife and I had the best vacation we have ever had. We stayed in Homosassa, Fl on the Homosassa River. It is one of the most unique rivers I have ever been own. It's only about 6 miles long but it's different around every bend. It's fed from Homosassa Springs which are about 75' deep and the water is clearer than any swimming pool. This area is a state park. We would drive the boat as far as they would let you and then anchor. We would swim in the spring during the heat of the day, everyday. It's a constant 72 degrees year round. You never knew what would swim past!! We swam with Manatee's, 100+lb Tarpon, 25+lb Snook, otters, and every other freshwater and saltwater animal you could imagine. We stayed in the boat everyday all day. We bought groceries by boat, went out to eat by boat, and visited all of the sites by boat 8) .

It took me a couple of days to figure out how to fish the clear water. Once I did it was ON!! I didn't get my Tarpon :( , but I did have a 150lber blow up on a top water plug :shock: . I landed several Snook which is a first for me. It is a awesome fishery. I was getting aggravated after the first couple days and desided to bass fish. I used a jerkbait and about the 3rd cast, a nice Redfish nailed it. A few cast later, a huge for me 8lb Snook nailed it. One cast you would catch a bass and the next would be a Mangrove Snapper, Redfish, bream, or anything else that swam.
2009_100109Vacation0166.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0165.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0169.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0164.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0156.jpg

We caught 100's of Mangrove Snapper.
2009_100109Vacation0135.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0106.jpg

This is a picture of the Bait Lady out around St. Martin Keys. She would bring you live bait if you radioed her and asked. 8)
2009_100109Vacation0158.jpg

We saw about 20 Manatee's. We had them come too the boat and my wife was able to pet one. They were almost bigger than my boat :shock:

2009_100109Vacation0008.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0046.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0140.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0141.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0007.jpg

Our vacation rental camp was awesome. The bayou leading to it was very narrow and had a canopy of palm trees over you most of the way. It was better than any movie jungle scene.

2009_100109Vacation0143.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0147.jpg

This picture was taken off our porch.
2009_100109Vacation0048.jpg

I forgot to add that my mom and dad came down for two nights. One is a picture of my mom doing her Capt. Ahab impression :D and the other is my dad catching mullet off the dock.
2009_100109Vacation0033.jpg

2009_100109Vacation0035.jpg

I think we found the location for the 2010 tinboats.net roadtrip.... :D

Nice pictures, and excellent fish.

countryboy210 said:
Awesome ! How Did You Hear About This, How Did You Reserve It?

Homosassa, FL is considered by many as the large Tarpon Capital of the world. My dad took my brother and I when we were little and I have always wanted to go back. My wife and I were deciding on a vacation this year and I remembered this place. I found the house/camp on the internet https://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/27988.html

The owner was very nice and helpful. It was very reasonably priced too. I rented this 2 bedroom cheaper than the local motels and I kept my boat in the water. Please PM me if you would like more info.

It is the perfect spot for Tinboaters or if you have a smaller boat. Half of the river is No Wake.

Mods, I hope you do not mind me posting the link. If you do, please delete.

8) Very Cool !!! 8) Looks like an AWESOME Vacation !!! Love the access to your camp !!!!!

Nice mixed bag of fish. Keep any for the table ?? I know snapper & red fish are excellent, but can't say I've heard much about snook.

I know a lady friend who lives in Homosassa. I may have to go visit her this winter. :wink:

Thanks everyone. It is definitely somewhere everyone should go once if given the chance. The only real negative is, it's in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much for the wives and kids unless they enjoy the water. Tampa is about a hour away with all the shopping and waterparks that they could want.

Doc - I released all fish this trip. I wanted to grill some fish, but I told my wife that she wasn't allowed to cook the entire vacation. I did eat fish just about everyday. Homosassa is a retirement area and everything was reasonably priced. You could rent pontoon boats for about $75 a day. We ate Grouper, Maui Maui, Shrimp, Conch, Oysters, and etc. everyday and rarely spent more than $15 per person.

Bassboy and Jim - Count me in for the Homosassa River Tinboats Rally. I told my wife and she got all excited wanting to know when. :D

The Manatees were the highlight of the trip. Homosassa River is the only place where you can legally interact with manatees. They have to approach you. It is considered harassment anywhere else. They had guides that would take you swimming with them, but we found out that you do not need a guide.

Capt. Ahab - :LOL2: