long jhons (not long jon boats)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Reaction score
What is the best long handles for the money.As i do not hunt or do i stay out in the cold if i do not have to.
I work const. an it gets cold here in east TN. in the winter and i need to be able to work outside and be warm..
AND the ones at w mart are cold.

I roof here in St.Louis all winter long.I never wear long underwear until it gets down to around 0 degrees.I find a bood pair of insulated coveralls or bibs and a warm coat.I tend to overheat wearing long johns.

Code:
 :?:  :?:
Yes bibs are good but i am in alot tight places not like one a roof. I am a small [skinny] frame and i need to get into small place so i need to be able to move.And stay warm. So is poly the way to go.
caveman

I swear by columbia long johns. They are pricey, but they are awesome. They have three or four different weights; all breathe very well and wick away sweat. They also hold up extremely well, I will get a pair or two every year, and the ones that are five years old are still in great condition.

caveman said:
Code:
Yes bibs are good but i am in alot tight places not like one a roof. I am a small [skinny] frame and i need to get into small place so i need to be able to move.And stay warm. So is poly the way to go.
caveman

Yes, Poly is the way to go. I don't know how cold you are trying to combat but here is my standard layers for MN.

Feet:
1 pair of man's business socks. You know, those skinny black ones? 100% polyester and make perfect wicking base layer. You can also buy them white labeled as "boot liners" but a 3 pack of poly business socks is cheap. I cover these with a pair of Merell Wool socks.

Legs:
1 pair of 100% polyester long johns. I then wear a set of polartech fleece pants. depending on what I am doing I have my outer layer. Snowboarding is a set of waterproof snowboarding pants. Ice fishing is a set of Artic Armor bibs. If your doing construction Perhaps a set of canvas pants would be the best option. With this layer technique you can shed or wear the polartech as temp and activity dictates. If your outer layer keeps the wind off you the polartech & poly combo will keep you warm in some serious cold temps.

Chest
1 pair of 100% poly long sleeve long johns. I then wear a 100% poly t-shirt. These shirts are pretty darn cheap this time of year because they are sold as jogging wear or basketball wear, etc. and on clearance in most places in my neck of the woods. Follow this up with a long sleeve polartech shirt and windproof coat. Artic Armor for ice fishing and a different type for snowboarding.

Bottom line is if you go with a wicking and insulation layer and its 100% synthetic you will be doing well. Adjust layers to as needed in your TN "cold" :wink:
Layer concept:
https://www.princeton.edu/~oa/equipment/bpcold.shtml

I was curious as to the average temps in your area compared to here in MN.

knoxville, TN

https://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTN0268?from=month_bottomnav_undeclared

Knoxville, TN Weather Facts
July is the average warmest month.
The highest recorded temperature was 105°F in 1952.
On average, the coolest month is January.
The lowest recorded temperature was -8°F in 1966.
The maximum average precipitation occurs in March

Minneapolis,

https://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USMN0503?from=month_bottomnav_undeclared

Minneapolis, MN Weather Facts
July is the average warmest month.
The highest recorded temperature was 108°F in 1936.
On average, the coolest month is January.
The lowest recorded temperature was -41°F in 1888.
The maximum average precipitation occurs in June.

sorry, I couldnt resist. :lol:

Ill also agree with the Poly being good stuff. I prefer to go with the thinner weight long johns and layer them depending on how cold it is going to be. if its just an easy cold then just one thin layer under my jeans works wonders. if its going to be silly cold, then I can pull 2-3 sets on and still not build up any real bulk.

with that said I find the most comfort/discomfort in the cold comes from my feet and head. a good set of boots with good socks are worth their weight in gold.

danmyersmn said:
caveman said:
Code:
caveman

Yes, Poly is the way to go. I don't know how cold you are trying to combat but here is my standard layers for MN.

Feet:
1 pair of man's business socks. You know, those skinny black ones? 100% polyester and make perfect wicking base layer. You can also buy them white labeled as "boot liners" but a 3 pack of poly business socks is cheap. I cover these with a pair of Merell Wool socks.

Legs:
1 pair of 100% polyester long johns. I then wear a set of polartech fleece pants. depending on what I am doing I have my outer layer. Snowboarding is a set of waterproof snowboarding pants. Ice fishing is a set of Artic Armor bibs. If your doing construction Perhaps a set of canvas pants would be the best option. With this layer technique you can shed or wear the polartech as temp and activity dictates. If your outer layer keeps the wind off you the polartech & poly combo will keep you warm in some serious cold temps.

Chest
1 pair of 100% poly long sleeve long johns. I then wear a 100% poly t-shirt. These shirts are pretty darn cheap this time of year because they are sold as jogging wear or basketball wear, etc. and on clearance in most places in my neck of the woods. Follow this up with a long sleeve polartech shirt and windproof coat. Artic Armor for ice fishing and a different type for snowboarding.

Bottom line is if you go with a wicking and insulation layer and its 100% synthetic you will be doing well. Adjust layers to as needed in your TN "cold" :wink:
Layer concept:
https://www.princeton.edu/~oa/equipment/bpcold.shtml
one thing Ill add is I like to fit in a cheap "wife beater" somewhere in the layering. it seems to add something to your core without adding any bulkiness to your arms. I have found on some days where I had a chill walking around the house adding the wife beater made all the difference.

thanks for the reply. I am going to look at poly or silk es and price . I am willing to spend 100.00 or so.Temps here in winter are avg 20s

I have a set of the Redhead XPS Baselayer Thermals, which is the light-weight model. I've worn them in some fairly cold weather, after layering over them with other winter clothing, which includes a t-shirt, a fleece zip-up layer, then a windproof/waterproof outer shell w/hood. One thing I like about the XPS shirt is that it has a long shirt tail, and doesn't come untucked easily. If my feet and head get cold then I'm pretty much done. As stated above, a good pair of warm socks and boots go a long way.

The BPS Redhead XPS clothing comes in 3 different models of thickness. The price ain't bad either. I'm thinking about getting the mid-weight items................just in case we have another really bad winter.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&x=12&y=11

I bought Under Armor brand stuff last year and it is great. I'll be buying the BPS stuff that Waterwings linked to because it's a lot cheaper and basically the same stuff.

I bought a Under Armor-type shirt in the Starter brand at Walmart last year, and it doesn't work well at keeping me warm. I'll be out of town in Louisville this weekend, and near a BPS (Clarksville, IN), so I might get that set of XPS mid-weight thermals.

I got the base 2.0 and it's fine under a pair of jeans and my Ice Armor Cold Weather suit. When I use it for ice fishing or running the snow thrower I stay warm enough. My feet are what gets cold. Mostly because I undersized my boots when I bought them and with wool socks and a base layer they are pretty tight. Should have gone a size larger.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102573_625001010_625000000_625001000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH

Poly is definitely the way to go and it comes in different weights. If there's one thing that I know, it is cold weather clothing. :lol:

We were wading around in water in 0 degree temps and laying on ice for hours at a time a couple of weeks ago.

Never underestimate the power of layering clothes. That is the real key.

So far as the TN vs MN winter temps. Much like the summer, the difference in humidity from north to south makes the same temperature feel completely different.

Kenyon is my favorite, these are Air Force issue for the guys in the northern tier and the artic, they have 3 or four different layers you can get and you can order direct on line. There are polypropylene and very warm.
kenyon.com

dougdad said:
Kenyon is my favorite, these are Air Force issue for the guys in the northern tier and the artic, they have 3 or four different layers you can get and you can order direct on line. There are polypropylene and very warm.
kenyon.com

kenyonconsumer.com is where you want to go. kenyon.com is the site for Kenyon & Kenyon LLP, an intellectual property law firm.

Popeye said:
kenyonconsumer.com is where you want to go. kenyon.com is the site for Kenyon & Kenyon LLP, an intellectual property law firm.
And I'm sure they cost more than long johns... :LOL2:

X2 on UnderArmour. Yes, it was pricey but it kept me comfortable in the boat last winter. I don't have anything else to compare it too thoough. Except "standard" johns... Night and Day difference.

Because it worked so good, I could get away with a long sleeve T-Shirt and my Toggs many days which allowed the mobility I wanted. I also have a pair of fleece lined jeans.

Hands and Feet....A whole different discussion

This fall I stopped by BPS and bought some of their Redhead XPS thermal underwear, on sale I think they were like $24.99 a piece. They are a soft spun poly material and keep me as warm or warmer than the Under Armors while I am standing on the ice

Latest posts