Poetic justice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadmeat

Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and I took a trip to the Smokies. On our way back we took the Broadway exit off of I-640 and were stopped at the bottom of the ramp waiting to turn right on to Broadway. At most places you can turn right on red, but at this particular ramp you can turn right only on green. Turning right on a red arrow will get you a $50 ticket since the intersection is camera-enforced. Unless you know the intersection most folks believe that it's still ok to turn right on red and do so--and get a ticket in the mail a couple weeks later. Having watched countless folks turn right on the red arrow I can't imagine how much money Knoxville must be racking up in fines, but that's another story.

Anyway, here we were stopped at the bottom of the ramp waiting for the green arrow to turn right when a pickup pulls up behind us. As we're sitting there I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the driver in the pickup becoming visibly agitated. First he threw up his hands in disgust. Then he began pounding on the steering wheel, obviously screaming obscenities all the while. Seeing this, I rolled down my window, stuck out my arm, and in a sweeping gesture told him to go ahead an pass me if he wished. With screaming tires and a hand gesture that was half of a peace sign he roared around me and turned right on to Broadway on the red arrow.

And I watched the flash of the intersection camera as it captured his license plate. Ah, poetic justice.

Was there ever any legit reason given as to why they put that arrow light in there anyway? Seems kinda pointless to me(other than nailing people with tickets). :?

Bubba said:
Was there ever any legit reason given as to why they put that arrow light in there anyway? Seems kinda pointless to me(other than nailing people with tickets). :?

Without addressing video enforcement (that's another story), generally, no right turn on red intersections are because of the road engineering (curves, etc.), sight distance (curves, hills, buildings, etc.), speed and volume of traffic. Engineers assess the intersection and make a determination as to how safe it is to make a turn on red onto a lane of traffic....

Also, pretty good to see someone get his due once in a while :lol:

Speaking of rants. Sometime I don't understand police officers. :wink:

In my town we are not allowed to park on the streets overnight. Fine, We are used to it.

I have a single driveway that can park 2 cars (one in front of the other). I was having the roof replaced at my house and there was a HUGE Dumpster put in the driveway. So I parked my car in the street in front of the dumpsters.

I woke up with two $10 tickets for parking in the street overnight. :LOL2:

FishingCop said:
Bubba said:

Without addressing video enforcement (that's another story), generally, no right turn on red intersections are because of the road engineering (curves, etc.), sight distance (curves, hills, buildings, etc.), speed and volume of traffic. Engineers assess the intersection and make a determination as to how safe it is to make a turn on red onto a lane of traffic....

Well, This redlight has been there for years, just seems kinda funny they just now put a red arrow one in. The way this redlight, there really isn't really, if any, sight interference(curves, hills, buildings, etc). Although i'm not down there on a regular basis, so the traffic in that area may be worse than what I see when I am down there. :?

Bubba said:
FishingCop said:
Bubba said:

Well, This redlight has been there for years, just seems kinda funny they just now put a red arrow one in. The way this redlight, there really isn't really, if any, sight interference(curves, hills, buildings, etc). Although i'm not down there on a regular basis, so the traffic in that area may be worse than what I see when I am down there. :?

Traffic where you live? :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Jim said:
Speaking of rants. Sometime I don't understand police officers. :wink:

In my town we are not allowed to park on the streets overnight. Fine, We are used to it.

I have a single driveway that can park 2 cars (one in front of the other). I was having the roof replaced at my house and there was a HUGE Dumpster put in the driveway. So I parked my car in the street in front of the dumpsters.

I woke up with two $10 tickets for parking in the street overnight. :LOL2:

Ha, ha, someone got their quota last night :lol:

In my town, some better judgement and descretion would have been used. Call the PD and see if they'll void them or make them warnings, given the circumstances?? Worth a try.

As for why it's now a "no right turn on red arrow" after being a normal, right turn on red, light for many years, I don't know. You've got a long view of approaching northbound traffic on Broadway and although they're coming from under the I-640 bridge, you still have no trouble seeing them. I've seen as many as five or six cars at a time turn right on the red arrow, thinking it's legal to do so. At $50 a pop Knoxville has to be cleaning up on this light. Yes, it's probably in the driver's manual somewhere but so seldom do drivers see a red arrow that they're thinking it's ok to turn on one. I wish they'd hang a sign below the light saying "No right turn on red arrow."

Latest posts