Star Point Resort???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry Bob

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Dale Hollow this spring, and we might be staying at Star Point Resort. So I was wondering how ya'll liked it. How were the boat docks? Did anyone stay in the Cottonwood cabin? Thanks to everyone that has posted pics and reports for me to get a little look see at the place.

angry Bob said:
I'm planning a trip to Dale Hollow this spring, and we might be staying at Star Point Resort. So I was wondering how ya'll liked it. How were the boat docks? Did anyone stay in the Cottonwood cabin? Thanks to everyone that has posted pics and reports for me to get a little look see at the place.

The place was awesome! We stayed in the ELM. Super clean and nice! I will be posting my pics soon. I took pics of the inside. The Docks were covered and had Electricity. Very nice and seemed safe, no one had there stuff stolen. The Resort ends at the water, one way in and one way out.

I agree! Definetly a nice place, and good prices as well. I wouldn't hesitate to make reservations there again the next time I head to DH. :beer:

ok, maybe a silly question. What is the fishing like in January? I will be coming down to TN then and wondering if I am going to be able to get out and do some casting?

danmyersmn said:
ok, maybe a silly question. What is the fishing like in January? I will be coming down to TN then and wondering if I am going to be able to get out and do some casting?

It can be good if you know what your doing. I'd say you might have a good chance throwing a jig. But the "Float n' Fly" technique is big during that time of year. But myself, Would lean towards the jig more because personally, I despise Float n' Fly fishing. :evil:

Bubba is right on about the January fishing. A lot depends on the water temps. I would subscribe to a couple of the Dale Hollow forums and follow what has been working and suggestions of those on the sites that regularly fish that time of year.

Bob, I don't see a cabin called Cottonwood on the resort map I have of Star Point. Could it be Dogwood?

BassNBob said:
Bob, I don't see a cabin called Cottonwood on the resort map I have of Star Point.

It's not on the map, I checked that too...but there is one listed on their site. :?

Star Point is a great place to stay and there are several others that are nice as well. It all depends on where exactly you are coming from and which part of the lake you are wanting to focus on fishing. It's a rather large body of water and will take a lot of time if you hope to cover it all... probably not possible in one short trip. Below is a link to a map showing the location of most of the Marinas and Resorts on the lake. I've stayed at Star Point (#18 on the map), Eagle Cove (#17) & Horse Creek (#23). I will be going down again this New Year's weekend and will be staying at Mitchell Creek/Livingston Marina/Resort (#22) for the first time. We decided to stay here this year so we could try some new water and we got a good deal which always helps. I hope it's as nice as the others I mentioned. From everything I have seen it should be. Also, important to note... during that time of year a lot of the small stores and restaurants at the Marinas will be closed so be sure to locate some places nearby to eat before you get there or bring plenty of food. The cabin/resort you stay at should be able to help you out with this, feel free to call and ask.

https://www.dalehollowlake.com/images/Corps_Lake_Map_04-2004.pdf

Bubba said:
It can be good if you know what your doing. I'd say you might have a good chance throwing a jig. But the "Float n' Fly" technique is big during that time of year. But myself, Would lean towards the jig more because personally, I despise Float n' Fly fishing. :evil:
Come on Bubba... what's the FNF ever done to you. :D

Bubba is correct... from November through February the Float-n-Fly, the Football Head Jig and/or the Silver Buddy is the only way to go... unless of course you like to use live bait. If so, then drifting minnows 10-25' deep will work too. As for me, I'll be throwing the FNF which Bubba speaks so highly of. :LOL2: I just cant get enough! :D

If you are looking for current fishing info, lake conditions and anything else Dale Hollow related you can checkout the following sites / forums for up-to-date info on the lake.

https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/lakeinfo/dal.htm

https://www.dalehollowfishing.com/

https://www.easttennesseefishing.com/

https://www.smalljaw.com/forum/

Hope you have a great trip! We look forward to seeing your pictures and reading your report!

God Bless & Good Fishing!

G3_Guy said:
Bubba said:
Come on Bubba... what's the FNF ever done FOR you. :D

This is more like it.... :roll:

Bubba said:
G3_Guy said:
Bubba said:
Come on Bubba... what's the FNF ever done FOR you. :D

This is more like it.... :roll:

LOL... I still need to take you to Cherokee or DH with me this winter...

Thanks,

What is this "float and fly" stuff you speak of?

To be honest I only plan on targeting Musky when i come down. I am actually thinking about hiring a guide instead of dragging my rig down. If I bring my boat I will need to drive my Van and get about 14mpg. Plus I need to finish my project by then! If I hire a guide I can drive my Mazda 3 and have no worries other then what time I am supposed to be at the dock. Now, if I can only find a musky guide that has all left handed reels :mrgreen:

float-n-fly... kinda like fishing for bluegill with a bobber...

You use a reeeaaaalllyy long rod (bout 8-9', but can be done with shorter) and cast a light weight jig with a bobber about 7-9' above it. It's really good on bluff walls where the fish are suspended - and BIG bass do tear it up

danmyersmn said:
Thanks,

What is this "float and fly" stuff you speak of?

To be honest I only plan on targeting Musky when i come down. I am actually thinking about hiring a guide instead of dragging my rig down. If I bring my boat I will need to drive my Van and get about 14mpg. Plus I need to finish my project by then! If I hire a guide I can drive my Mazda 3 and have no worries other then what time I am supposed to be at the dock. Now, if I can only find a musky guide that has all left handed reels :mrgreen:

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time for musky on Dale Hollow. There is one guy that I know of that guides on the lake, but all they do it troll...which in my opinion is boring as i'll get out. And the way they troll, you really have to have special gear to troll at the depths they do(30-40ft+).

Now, If you wanted to head east about 2 hours, I know someone that could guide you on another lake for musky. He'll work cheap too... :mrgreen:

Trolling is not one of my preferred past times. I guess I might need to plan a lake maybe oh 2 hours or so east of that ;) I just need to find something for the wife and kids to do. She keeps bothering me about going to Nashville this winter. I always reply with "no problem, but I am fishing".

Float and fly sounds like slip bobber fishing how is it different? Maybe just a southern name for it?

danmyersmn said:
Trolling is not one of my preferred past times. I guess I might need to plan a lake maybe oh 2 hours or so east of that ;) I just need to find something for the wife and kids to do. She keeps bothering me about going to Nashville this winter. I always reply with "no problem, but I am fishing".

Float and fly sounds like slip bobber fishing how is it different? Maybe just a southern name for it?

Just let me know. :wink:

The only difference in Float n' Fly to using a slip bobber, is you can't. The jigs you use(most commonly 1/16oz) are so light, its hard to get the line to "slip" through the bobber, so most people just us a stationary bobber, thus the need for a long rod so you can throw that 8-12ft of line below the bobber. Not to mention the 4-6lb test line they use, so with those long whippy rods, you've got plenty of action to play the fish without your line breaking.

Thanks for all the info guys, and thanks for the musky tip Bubba. My partner had said he wanted to do some musky fishin but I prefer that he not, cuz that just means more gear in the boat. Maybe he'll change his mind now. :mrgreen:

Latest posts