Tinboats tournament of champions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tournament time

• Same format (3 small tournaments)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Tournament of champions

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
How about next year we try something different. A bracket style tournament of champions. Instead of 3 small tournaments we will do one huge long one with a much better Prize (custom rod I'm thinking or something along those lines).

This one will require you to sign up (still and always free). After I have all the names I will randomly pick 2 people and pair them together.

You two will decide what to fish for, the rules, and when (one day tournament). You must submit the rules for all to see here, and I will decide secret item and have final word. The winner of each one day fish off will advance, and the same thing will happen where the two anglers decide what to fish for, when, rules. Again We will decide winner and post the secret item. This will go on until we have the final two anglers for the TB Classic! :LOL2:

We can make this happen over the summer starting memorial day and ending Labor day depending on participation or we can tighten up the time lines to make it a 4-6 week thing. We can work on those details later.

Please ask questions or give ideas, this could be really fun and even off the playing field.

Sounds like a good plan Jim! The only thing that might be in question is having the two anglers agree on what to fish for... you might run into an issue if a "Bass" fishermen was paired against a "Walleye" fishermen for example. Just thinking out loud... still like the idea though. Count me in!

Have a species drawing. The two pared up then have to draw for species. With only species that are in the area. I.E. I probably would win against Russ if we are having a pike tournament but I would loose to anyone fishing for blue cat's or white crappie (none here). It would be fun to try and chase after something that I don't fish for. Hrm. dogfish tournament? :)

Another way might be to have a bracket tournament where you have slots to fill. So for example you have to grab a sunfish, smallie, large mouth, walleye, catfish, etc. etc. and you record the catch for your slot. At the end of the tournament the person with the largest total weight wins.

yea, I don't know about Pike in this area... I do know we have atleast 1 walleye in the lake I fished because he busted up my favorite crankbait :twisted:

if we have to do a species thing and they aren't here... well, I guess we could always turn it into a "lightweight" tackle tournament... 4' ultra light spinning rod/reels spooled with 2lb test :LOL2:

What about a points thing? The larger the fish, the more the points?

Like me for instance....Here lately Musky has been my thing....but I might only catch 1-2 of those a month if I really go after them(and lucky) every weekend. A musky would be more points, but obviously someone fishing for bass would catch more numbers...so they would be abit less. Then panfish would be abit less than bass...because usually you can catch more of those than you would bass.

Just throwing this out....

Musky - 5-6 points
Bass, Pickerel, Pike, walleye over 20 inches - 3 points
Bass, Pickerel, walleye under 20 - 2 points
Bluegill, crappie, etc - 1 point

Feel free to blow it down. :lol:

Catching different species may be difficult for those who do not have multiple-specie fish in their area. As an example (if I were participating), I only fish local electric-only waters, and the main fish are Bass (LM & Spots), and Bluegill are also encountered, lol. Targeting Musky, etc., would be difficult here. Just my thoughts :wink:

i like the idear though i think more people would be in if it wernt just bass. we have bass here but its rare to catch many over 12".

i'd like to see something different like carp or biggest crappie ect

Loggerhead Mike said:
i like the idear though i think more people would be in if it wernt just bass.

Exactly, This is why I suggested basing it around points, instead of individual species. I realize that not everyone has musky in their area, or even has the tackle to target them if they wanted. Everyone could join in, and we could base the points off of how common the fish are caught, and basic size.

Sure, If I caught one musky a month, and maybe a few bass...I might have 10-12 points....but someone that bass fishes every weekend will definitely catch more bass than me...increasing their points as well.

Just because someone doesn't have, or doesn't target a specific type of species shouldn't mean they can't participate. We could throw any species in the mix(ie Carp, catfish, etc)....whatever anyone wants to fish for. And base the points of that fish on the basic size, how common they are caught, etc.

I'm diggin' the points system. I'm a bass guy and don't fish for much else. Plus it seems to me that more folks would be able to participate if the tournament were not confined to a specific date rather a time frame. Either way, I'm in.

Loggerhead Mike said:
i like the idear though i think more people would be in if it wernt just bass. we have bass here but its rare to catch many over 12".

i'd like to see something different like carp or biggest crappie ect

I wasn't around for the tournmanet last year so I don't know if it had a buy in? Make it a set price buy in per species. Therfore if you want to buy in for one species your in for two ways to win. Biggest single fish in inches and largest sum of one species in inches..

So if someone is all bass they will have a better chance of winning that bracket. If someone buys into 3 brackets they have 3 brackets to win in but they also have less change in each one vs. targeting one species. Have a winner for each species for biggest fish and largest sum with a smaller prize for each. The tournament winner gets the big price. tournament winner is the one with the most points for brackets. So if 10 people are in the smallie bracket then biggest fish gets 10 points, 2nd biggest gets 9 down to 1 point for smallest fish. Same with number of inches. Person with most inches gets 10, down to 1.

Have a blind buy in. A person buys into a bracket and if 3 or more people buy in then that species is live for the tournament. If at least 3 don't buy in then the $ for those that did buy in gets put into the tournament winner prize and those people loose out for taking the change on a sub-popular species.

All fish are photographed with a tape measure to be submitted.

You could also have it that you have a limit of 5 fish per species for largest sum and have a cut off where you have to have 1 fish submitted each month or something like that so that someone isn't just submitting 200 sunfish.

that buy in system sounds familiar... isn't there some website where you do that? I think someone is following me on twitter and posted that to me. I think that's the thing where they give you a string of letters and numbers to write on a piece of paper - kinda like when Jim has us use a key or some other secret item with our catch.

So what happens if I'm out in the first day? What excuse will I give my wife that I NEED to go fishing the other weekends - rain or shine. :shock:

Another consideration, if it takes more than a 'short schedule' of 4-6 weeks, we might want to have something for the new guys who join tinboats after the tournament starts. Hate to make them feel left out for a whole summer.

Just sayin... :D

Latest posts