Offhand Casting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjkl1

Reaction score
I'm right handed and normally fish alone so I don't care where I fish from in my boat, but moms going to let our 4 year old fishing machine go out w/me next year. This kid has caught more bass from the shore on plastics than I caught in my first 40 years of life. Honestly if you don't want your kid to be ADDH throw out the TV and give him a box of lures to throw in the water (one at a time of course).

I was thinking of giving him the casting platfrom and fishing off hand from the deck behind the platfrom (see pic). I can run the bow trolling motor from there too. I can't fish right handed because of the console, and because I normally fish underhand. Tried backhand casting w/my right and that was no good, but left handed underhand went well. Seems like a skill to master so I can keep him in front of me.

Any other ideas?

Boat is a 16.5 Tracker Guide Series & it does have a sort of rear platfrom but I want to keep closer tabs on the little guy. He'd have plenty of room to chuck lures and I could keep him in front of me.

Attachments

• Boat2b.JPG
    Boat2b.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 348
I've had my 4yr old grandson in our rig.Since our state requires children under 7 to wear life jackets,I don't worry about him.I stay on the front platform to run the TR,and he gets over half of the boat.If yours is anything like mine,It doesn't matter where in the boat he is,He is going to catch fish.
P6220157.JPG

Oh yes life jacket of course. His mom may even make me tie him to a pedestal

Attachments

• downsized_0912091438.jpg
    downsized_0912091438.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 337
drjkl1 said:
Honestly if you don't want your kid to be ADDH throw out the TV and give him a box of lures to throw in the water (one at a time of course).

If you had ADD like I do you would dismiss it as too much tv so easily.

I see you have a powerdrive, which means you clearly aren't limited by where in the boat you need to be. Short of giving him the back deck, which would be my first option, I would say you take the back deck, and run down a shoreline with the shore to the boat's starboard. That puts you casting with the rod off the stern of the boat (won't hit console or him). Provided you can cast over the motor, that shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts