Best Thermos type container?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a good thermos to keep hot chocolate/soup in for those cold winter fishing trips this winter. Although I don't want to buy one.... only to open it up a couple hours later and it barely be luke warm. Do any of you guys know of a good thermos type container that I could get for under 30 bucks? I just looked online at a few, particularly the Stanley Classic "green" one, and it seems it doesnt keep things warm very well over 3-4hrs at best.(by reviews from another site).

My dad has an old(25+yrs old) Stanley Classic, which works awesome, but no way he would let me have it....haha. He bought a new one a few years back and I remember him telling me it just didn't keep as well as his old one. What do you guys use?

somehow they lose there vacuume and dont work any more. try to find an older one on ebay,flea market,or dads house. the new ones are made in china and are junk. i carry a 20 year old 1 quart stanley every day and is hot till the last cup. a good way to tell if it is bad is to fill with boiling water put stopper in and let stand five minutes, after that if outside of thermos is hot, its not any good. stanly has a lifetime warranty and will send you a new one, but from the reviews i read, it ant worth the trouble.

I have an Igloo thermos (stainless lining) I've used for about 12-13 years now it seems. I pre-heat it the night before an outing by filling it with boiling water and leave it in there until the next morning, pour it out, then fill with whatever I'm taking with me. It's been real good at keeping coffee, soup, etc hot for hours. I've looked for one just like it but have been unable to find another one. The one I have now was bought at Walmart, but they haven't carried them for awhile now. I never had any luck with the Stanley or Thermos brands at keeping things hot.

I have taken mine ice fishing and the coffee is still hot 4 hours later after its sitting on a ATV on the ice in sub-zero. Green Stanley purchased 2 years ago.

Waterwings said:
I pre-heat it the night before an outing by filling it with boiling water and leave it in there until the next morning, pour it out, then fill with whatever I'm taking with me.

That's the key... PREHEAT

I have the ol' faithful green Stanley, it's about 30 years old and still works like a champ.

A tip that someone (sorry, can't recall who unfortunately) posted awhile back about how to clean a stained stainless thermos bottle: Fill with water (hot preferably I believe), and drop in a couple of denture cleaning tabs and let set for awhile. It works like a charm! Mine was really stained and seemed to have a caffeine buildup in the bottom. Clean as a whistle now after a couple of the denture tab soakings! 8)

Ah Yes, those green Stanly's. Same as I have had for about 20 years. Used it just this last weekend when I went hunting, still works as good as the day I bought it. Yes, I pre- heat it as well but don't leave it standing over night, I just pre heat it in the morning and I can keep coffee hot for about 6 hours. my wife was going to buy me a new one this year, but I can't part with near perfection. The only problem I have had with it was the stopper was starting to leak about 6 years ago, found a new stopper for it at Walmart, and it is still going strong!!!!

As for keeping it clean, I use baking soda and hot water, I leave it sitting overnight and it is good to go the next day.

Andy said:
Waterwings said:
I pre-heat it the night before an outing by filling it with boiling water and leave it in there until the next morning, pour it out, then fill with whatever I'm taking with me.

That's the key... PREHEAT

I have the ol' faithful green Stanley, it's about 30 years old and still works like a champ.

I should of said that I do that too. I just fill mine with tap water as hot as it comes out of the tap and leave it sit while I am making the coffee.

I also have a green stanley. (2 years old?)

keeps coffee warm all day. I also agree that the preheat is very important.

Latest posts