Flex Fuel vehicles?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
The truck I recently bought is the flex fuel type, and I was wondering if anyone has experience running it in their vehicle. Have you noticed if there is lowered power or increased fuel consumption? From what the dealer and the manual state, I can run E85 alone, or even when mixed with standard unleaded fuel. Thanks for any info. We have one station on the other side of town that sells E85, but I haven't even checked what their price is.

theroretically, you should see increased power and mileage with the E85. The factory HP rating should have been derived using the minumun required octane fuel. The E85 should burn faster, hotter, and more completely than standard fuel because of the ethanol. Ethanol is what they run in Indy cars and alcohol fueled drag cars. This is just my guess. We have a few of the flex fuel vehicles in our fleet, but we don't have an E85 station anywhere close.

Our Mountaineer is flex fuel and we have e85 right down the road. Used it some when we first got it, but even though e85 is cheaper sometimes it doesn't pay. Big decrease in gas mileage. Average 18.1 with normal gas and 13.9 with the e85. Didn't notice much difference with power.... just my 2cents.

Waterwings said:
Found something interesting concerning flex/E85 fuel. it's a Google map that has a list showing all of the current stations by state that carry flex fuel. Not as many as I thought there would be across the nation:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl...s.org/issues/2007/06/e85.kml&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=3

Good morning ...
Interesting topic ..... you must have a Chevy ..... My Chevy truck can also run the E85 grade gas .. Problem is, I have never seen it in Tennessee. I ran accross it once up in Kentucky during a road trip about 1.5 years ago ..... and I filled up with it ...... it was 15-20 cents cheaper per gallon .... but I didn't notice any difference in performance, or gas milage.

Rich

gunny146 said:
theroretically, you should see increased power and mileage with the E85. The factory HP rating should have been derived using the minumun required octane fuel. The E85 should burn faster, hotter, and more completely than standard fuel because of the ethanol. Ethanol is what they run in Indy cars and alcohol fueled drag cars. This is just my guess. We have a few of the flex fuel vehicles in our fleet, but we don't have an E85 station anywhere close.

In theory yes, the problem is the flex fuel vehicals are designed to run on e85 but do not optimize the use of e85. it has a higher octane rating then premium gasoline but lower btu so it requires more fuel for the same power. Some hot rod type engines are being built for e85 because they can make good power by raising the compression ratio to levels usually only doable with race gas

...theroretically, you should see increased power and mileage with the E85

Yeah, I have used it off and on in my Suburban. Mileage drops 30%, power decreases. When the stuff is 30% or more LESS than gasoline, I buy it. Right now it's within forty cents or so of the price of gas up by me.

My Yukon Denali Xl is Flex as well.. I havent been able to find any place in my area that sells it.. I do know i have to run a higher grade fuel since lower grade will mess up the engine. There is a big warning in the owners manaul about it and it will void the warranty as well.. I have the 6.2 Liter V8 in mine...

Thanks for the info, fellas. My rig (2010 F150, 5.4 V8) is designed to run either fuel (unleaded or E85), but haven't taken the plunge to try the E85 yet. I also need to take the time to go over to the other side of town and see what the price is at the only place in town that sells it. Not sure yet if I want to pay less to get less mileage/power.

We have one station in town and 2 within 30 or so miles. Whenever I go by them, the price seems to run twenty to thirty cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline.

Like others have said, it makes less hp and gets worse mileage because there is over 30% less energy in it than the equivalent amount of gasoline.

I doubt you will ever see very many stations pop up until the price of gas skyrockets again or people are forced to start buying the stuff.

A small article that will put this in perspective
https://www.edmunds.com/advice/alternativefuels/articles/120863/article.html
In case you don't feel like reading it, poor gas mileage & about the same carbon emissions (E85 is a little better for emissions). :?

Latest posts