Computer question again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
My computer tells me my memory Ram is too low, is there anything I can buy or dowload(free) to make it run faster or is it time to put this puppy to sleep? Oh another thing, I downloaded a free (I think it was free) trial thing to make your computer run faster, it ran the scan and found like 1300 errors, after the scan was done it asked me for my name and e-mail address to get some kinda key to activate it (I didnt send any of that stuff) I went to the programs & found it but didnt see any way to uninstall it and so I clicked the right side of my mouse and saw a delete word so I clicked that and the program symbol disappeared but its still on my computer, is there anyway to get the program off? Like I said the symbol isnt in programs but it on my start thingy at the bottom of computer.

Thanks Guys

shamoo,
If you can wait till tonight I can log into your pc remotely (While you watch of course). You probably have things running in the background that you are unaware of, and things that are running at start up that we could kill and your computer will run much faster. Let me know if your interested or if someone else is local and they can do it for you.

Sounds like a spyware program...

Try running spybot search and destroy, its free. When you d-load it, install it and do the updates to the current dat files. let it do a full scan on your machine. If that doesnt take it off, d-load adaware, its free too.If that doesnt work, try Malware Bytes, its free too!

Then when that is done, go download your free copy of Avast antivirus, I run it at home and on my "off the grid" computer at work ( my tinker pc )

Sounds like your PC may be ate up with all kinds of malware goodies that need to be removed!

After you have rid yourself from that crap, go get this https://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/maxmem/Freeware.htm its a memory booster that I have used in the past.

Trust me, I have been an I.T. professional for 13 years. I currently work in the I.T. department as a system engineer for DirecTV at one of their own and operated call centers.

Mr. 'moo,

What operating system are you running ?? XP ?? If so, go to Start>Control Panel (on the right side of the menu)>Add or Remove Programs, wait for the list to populate, find the program in the list and select Remove. That should get rid of the "new" problem program. Then let Jim take a look at your system remotely and see if he can find the cause of the RAM issue (how much do you have, by the way).

If, for whatever reason, Jim is unable to help, I'd be glad to take a look at the machine for you. I have my own little computer repair business and I also do online computer help for The Window Secrets Lounge as a VIP. I can usually fix most issues or tell you if it's not worth fixing and save your data so you can transfer it to a new system or rebuild the old one so you can start fresh.

And yes, you are loaded with malware. Right after you emailed me last year I started getting all sorts of spam on that address that I wasn't getting previously and it continues to this day. I'm guessing you have all sorts of crap on there. [-X

Mr. Moo,

I agree you probably have a lot of Spy-ware on your PC. I use a program called Malware Bytes that works pretty good. If Mr. Jim can't help I can get over there over the weekend to help you.

Jim said:
shamoo,
If you can wait till tonight I can log into your pc remotely (While you watch of course). You probably have things running in the background that you are unaware of, and things that are running at start up that we could kill and your computer will run much faster. Let me know if your interested or if someone else is local and they can do it for you.
If your offer is still on the table let me know what time.

Doc, thanks bro I got that program off my computer.

Cyber, I tried that program you said and after I downloaded everything I couldnt get it to work so I took that off also. Mr.bcritch had downloaded Malwarebytes last year and I ran that and it said it found nothing.

Well just got off the horn wit Mr. Jim, it seems the computer and its owner have the same problem, slow running memory(256 something or other) my computers not sick, so I'm running out to the store tomorrow and get a memory stick (1 Gig), umm, now all I need is for someone to install it, let me see, MR. BCRITCH where are you, I need you before your catch the swine flu.

Thank you Mr. Jim, you impressed me with your knowledge of computers, "you are da man!!!"

Stay tune for an up-date tomorrow, according to Mr. Jim I'm going to have to bolt the computer to the floor.

shamoo said:
Stay tune for an up-date tomorrow, according to Mr. Jim I'm going to have to bolt the computer to the floor.

:LOL2:
No problem Mr Shamoo. After the ram is put in, we can have another session and I can try to fine tune things that run at startup and we can talk about killing stuff you don't use on the pc.

Shamoos computer only has 256MB of memory :shock: . There are a few programs also running in the background (msn messenger and what not).

Once he fires up a browser he eats the rest of his memory and his Pagefile goes off the charts. His CPU utilization was basically idle.

I think 1GB of memory (less than $50) https://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%202400%20Series

Will make it like a new computer.

Jim said:
shamoo said:

:LOL2:
No problem Mr Shamoo. After the ram is put in, we can have another session and I can try to fine tune things that run at startup and we can talk about killing stuff you don't use on the pc.

Shamoos computer only has 256MB of memory :shock: . There are a few programs also running in the background (msn messenger and what not).

Once he fires up a browser he eats the rest of his memory and his Pagefile goes off the charts. His CPU utilization was basically idle.

I think 1GB of memory (less than $50) https://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%202400%20Series

Will make it like a new computer.

Wow.. no wonder it was running a wee bit slow. Shamoo, you will see a big difference upgrading to 1GB. Nice going Jim!!!

What size his is processor? One thing you could do is delete the pagefile.sys and reboot. It will rebuild, that way if there is any corruption in the file, it will be new again. Something I have done in the past to resolve issues. You could run a TweakUI on the machine and MSconfig to help tweak some of them programs and also check with regedit HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and look to see what other background junk is running on start up. Just be careful with that because you might accidentally nuke something you shouldnt have.

what antivirus does he have? I suggest Avast since its awesome and FREE.

Thanks Mr. ACarbone for the offer, I went out this mornng checking prices out, the mem sticks for lap tops were 34.99 and the desk tops were 69.99 plus tax. My computer can hold up to 2 Gigs, 2 1 gig sticks, at this price I just got the 1 gig. I stopped at a couple of places and this was the the going price for my computer.

I stopped over Mr. bcritches and he put it in for me, thank you again Mr. Bill, I hope all those dust bunnys that were in the inside didnt scare you. We opened the computer from the side, I thought we were going to have to drill out some rivits for access.

Heres the bottom line, HOLEY CRAP!!!! what a difference, its really fast. If I would have gotten another stick would it be even faster?

Mr. Jim if you think it needs to be fined tuned let me know and we can do the same thing.

Thanks every one.

=D> Good news Mr. 'moo !!!!!

I would highly recommend you let Jim optimize your system and install some protection software and show you how to use it (it's very easy). You really need an anti-virus program, a firewall, anti-malware software and some disk management software to keep your PC running right. Almost all of this can be downloaded from the internet for free.

I use Avast AV, ZoneAlarm (free) firewall, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D for protection and all are free products that need to be updated regularly to keep the protection current. The updates are also FREE.

I also use CCleaner and Perfect Disk to keep my disk free from junk files and cookies and defragmented to allow it to perform at it's best. PerfectDisk is a defrag program that works twice as fast as Windows native defrag utility and also allows you to defrag the pagefile (something Windows can't do itself). CCleaner is also free, and Perfect Disk is available free if you know where to look. :wink: Let me know if I can help.

shamoo said:
Thanks Mr. ACarbone for the offer, I went out this mornng checking prices out, the mem sticks for lap tops were 34.99 and the desk tops were 69.99 plus tax. My computer can hold up to 2 Gigs, 2 1 gig sticks, at this price I just got the 1 gig. I stopped at a couple of places and this was the the going price for my computer.

I stopped over Mr. bcritches and he put it in for me, thank you again Mr. Bill, I hope all those dust bunnys that were in the inside didnt scare you. We opened the computer from the side, I thought we were going to have to drill out some rivits for access.

Heres the bottom line, HOLEY CRAP!!!! what a difference, its really fast. If I would have gotten another stick would it be even faster?

Mr. Jim if you think it needs to be fined tuned let me know and we can do the same thing.

Thanks every one.

Good to hear Shamoo! You really wont notice any more speed by adding another GB of memory. But that can be debated. I think you will be ok with what you got. For sure it was better than 256.

Windows XP can't get out of it's own way with 256MB of RAM. But that is what the PC makers started out selling to the unwashed masses when it first came out because MS said that XP would run on 128MB of RAM. It will... but nothing else will run on that system and it won't run well. Minimum RAM for an XP system is 512MB and 1 GB is the sweet spot unless you are doing heavy graphics or video work. No way Shamoo needs 2GB.

Good call Jim !!! 8)

Mr. Doc, the computer runs so fast I'm going to have to get a seat belt for my chair :LOL2: . I have Norton protection and it has all the thing you mentioned, my whole problem was the 256, thanks again to everyone, again, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Mr. Moo arrived at my home around lunch time with pure panic on his face. He was holding his computer in one hand and his newly purchased memory in the other. The only words he could speak were " help me Mr. Bill"

I looked at his PC and saw that the back cover was riveted on. Mr Moo then had the look of terror in his face when I broke out the extension cord, Power Drill, Sledge Hammer, Chisel and a small propane torch to take apart his PC. As I turned the PC on it's side Mr. Moo asked me if I was sure I knew what I was doing. I lined the drill up with the first rivet and then noticed a small black slide switch on the side of the PC. I slide the switch over and pressed against the side cover and the side cover popped off. Mr. Moo than wiped the sweat off of his forehead and started to relax a little bit.

Once the cover was open I wasn't able to see any of the components due to 6" of Dust Bunnies. I then broke out the vacuum cleaner and cleaned that puppy out.

The real story is that I popped the cover, cleaned some dust around the system fan and installed the memory. it was a simple 5 minute job... :LOL2:

Glad to hear it worked Mr. Moo and thanks to Jim for checkin things out a realizing that he needed additional memory.

It is now official " Mr. Moo will now be dangerous to the Internet with all of his new found speed".

Glad I could help......

:LOL2: Thats about all it took, about 5 minutes, probably shorter if he didnt have to empty his vacuum. I couldnt have installed the stick myself, when I took a gander at the inside of the computer what I thought was the memory was something else, I'd still be removing rivets. Thanks again to the "Tinboat Squad" my heros!!!!!!

Latest posts