okay, my computer question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Since there seems to be several computer guru's on this site, I appeal to then for some help.

I installed a newly purchased anti-virus software - "Webroot" - wife bought it and it works fine on her laptop. However, when it was installed on my laptop, it froze up my computer. Nothing would work - took about 2 minutes to load up anything - IE wouldn't load at all. Clicking on "my computer" or "control panel" took about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes to load up. I was finally able to uninstall it (also took forever) and the computer works fine again. But, I don't have any anti-virus protestion now - we bought it cause the Macavie was due to expire and we needed some anti-virus software and Webroot was on sale for 3 users. She (my wife) uninstalled the other anti-virua software before installing Webroot....

What's up with that??? Any thoughts?? Thanks...

I think your problem is caused by remaining bits of the McAfee program you used before installing the new program. McAfee and Norton security both require the use of their removal tools to completely remove their product. Below is a link to the instructions for McAfee removal. Simple and only takes a few minutes.

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Hope this helps.

I've been using Webroot Spysweeper for 6 years or so and until recently thought it was one of the best anti-malware programs out there. It found or stopped things that other programs missed completely. Recently, since they have included the AV with the program (and slipped it in with an update without notification) it seems to have gotten very intrusive and slows things down to the point where I don't even run it in real time any longer, but have it scheduled to scan the system 3 times a week at night while I sleep and then update it before I shut it down after the scan. When my subscription expires in December I will not be renewing it since there are now other programs that do what Spysweeper does without the overhead.

For AV I use the free version of Avast. For my firewall I run the free version of ZoneAlarm. And for malware protection, I use the free version of Malwarebytes and the free utility SpywareBlaster.

Using the removal tools for McAfee and Symantec are absolutely necessary to be certain all traces of the programs are removed. McAfee's tool can be found here. Another useful and free utility is Revo Uninstaller. Check it out here.

HTH :)

How old is your Laptop? How much memory, OS, HDD Size & System Requirements for Webroot.

"For AV I use the free version of Avast. For my firewall I run the free version of ZoneAlarm. And for malware protection, I use the free version of Malwarebytes and the free utility SpywareBlaster."

Good recommendations from Doc Watson.....

bcritch said:
How old is your Laptop? How much memory, OS, HDD Size & System Requirements for Webroot.

"For AV I use the free version of Avast. For my firewall I run the free version of ZoneAlarm. And for malware protection, I use the free version of Malwarebytes and the free utility SpywareBlaster."

Good recommendations from Doc Watson.....

1 1/2 years old, Toshiba, 184 GB, Windows Vista, ....... ?????? I guess that's what you asked???

Captain Ahab said:
FishingCop said:
What's up with that??? Any thoughts?? Thanks...

I have a few thoughts. . . . . . :mrgreen:

Do I dare ask for your comments??? :lol: and, BTW, what are you doing up at 4:00 in the morning? Just trying to make up cute or snide responses??? :LOL2:

There are two free programs that work very well, and both can run on the same computer at the same time. We have 6 laptops in the house a desktop and at work we have 12 desktops and a server running the programs. I just got a new laptop with windows 7 deleted mcafee and installed them. We have never had a problems while running them. The two programs are SUPERAnti Spyware, and AVG anti-virus. Both of them are free versions and both make a version that you can buy but there is no need the free ones work the same. These two programs were recommended by the computer geek that keeps our computers at work updated and running free of problems, he also sells us software so he could have sold us any antivirus, but this free program is what he uses. Check out the website for the two on them and decide for yourself.

Norton Internet Security 2009 or higher - that's my answer to all the issues. Firewall, Spyware, AntiVirus, website checker, etc...

Norton used to be SLOW, but with 2009 and higher, it is VERY speedy - can hardly know it's there. I run all sorts of tests on my machines and norton catches anything of concern to me.

I buy mine from Frys.com, never buy for over $20 with rebates, usually .01 with rebates. Just saw the special again on Friday. It's good for 3 machines.

Just one guy's opinion.

Latest posts