There is nothing like having free ranging birds in the house

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quackrstackr

Reaction score
Especially when you have an 18' ceiling in your living room and your house looks like Santa exploded inside.

Last night, I spent the better part of 20 minutes forcefully ejecting two purple finches from the house (without destroying any of my wife's Christmas decorations).

She keeps a wreath on the front door year 'round but the birds seem to have a special place in their hearts for her evergreen Christmas wreath. I guess the fact that we hardly ever use that door at night may have some bearing on the bird sightings but you can bet that when I have to open it nightly to turn on the Christmas lights I get intimately familiar with them again.

It never fails that I will get a pair inside the house at least one time during the season, until I remember to bang on that door before I open it. The last time it was a couple of little wrens.... talk about hard to catch in a fishing net.

I have figured out that the first thing that you should do is head through the house and close every door possible. The first pair that got in, I thought was a single until my daughter started screaming that there was a monster in her room after we put her to bed.

Hopefully, tomorrow night, I will remember to bang on that door before I open it or else be faced with a trip to the store for an Airsoft shotgun....

Captain Ahab said:
That is awesome - Christmas birds!

They do show a real affinity for the Christmas tree.

One of the little suckers hid on me last night. I still don't know where it was hiding. I searched every nook and cranny in the house that she could get in and never could find her. I finally walked back into the living room and she was sitting on one of my taxidermy mounts chirping at me. :lol:

Could be worse - my brother in law (who is an inner city redneck, BTW) had a raccoon get into his house through an open door (no idea why he left a door open)

We asked what happened and he said the **** thing ripped open cabinets and spilled food everywhere. He was fine with that I guess, but when the raccoon snarled at him he reached for the handy 12 gauge and shot the raccoon - in his kitchen

he said he only used bird shot so collateral damage was minimized :shock:

Captain Ahab said:
Could be worse - my brother in law (who is an inner city redneck, BTW) had a raccoon get into his house through an open door (no idea why he left a door open)

We asked what happened and he said the **** thing ripped open cabinets and spilled food everywhere. He was fine with that I guess, but when the raccoon snarled at him he reached for the handy 12 gauge and shot the raccoon - in his kitchen

he said he only used bird shot so collateral damage was minimized :shock:

LMAO... :lol:

Here is a Christmas suggestion for him: https://www.sluggergifts.com/

I know what you were going through. I have two cats and a pet door so they can come and go as they please while I am home. On the 21st of November my cat "Emmit" brought a live squirrel into the house and turned him loose. The squirrel decides to start bouncing off the walls in the living room. This causes my cats and myself to chase after him. I had been bitten by a squirrel when I was younger and did not want to get bitten again. I was trying to throw a sweatshirt on top of him but it was not working. He finally went behind a cabinet that has an open back and hid. I took my pet carrier and placed it in front of the cabinet with the door open. Then I opened the cabinet door while I was going after him from the back of the cabinet. It worked. He ran into the carrier and I shut the door.

Latest posts