Computer screen question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Since I have my super duper 1 gig thingy, wait, wait, Memory stick in my computer, I was thinking of getting a bigger screen, an lcd one, maybe a 21"er, any thoughts? Waste of money or will it really pimp out my computer? My daughter is throwing out hints of of getting me a real computer chair, I am now on my second kitchen chair( broke the back off the 1st).

What size do you have now? I upgraded from a 15" to a 19" about 5 years ago and it was a huge difference. The bigger screen is so much easier to see and read. I would say anything between 19"-21" should be fine. You won't regret it! :mrgreen:

Just upgraded my monitor a few months ago. What a difference.......

My recommendation...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+20%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+HD+Monitor/9162684.p?skuId=9162684&id=1218040222132#tabbed-customerreviews

BassAddict said:
Go for it!!! I have a 21" lcd hooked up to my laptop and use its tiny 16" screen as an extended desktop

monitor.jpg

Yeah - but your eyes are bad from years of self-abuse! Did you think they were kidding when they told you that you woudl go blind from doing that?

Captain Ahab said:
BassAddict said:
Go for it!!! I have a 21" lcd hooked up to my laptop and use its tiny 16" screen as an extended desktop

Yeah - but your eyes are bad from years of self-abuse! Did you think they were kidding when they told you that you woudl go blind from doing that?

:LOL2:

I know you'll have a good come back on this one BA......

Mr. Bill, I was just looking at the Monitor you suggested and the reviews mentioned setting it up, whats that mean? Cant I just plug the wires in?

shamoo said:
Mr. Bill, I was just looking at the Monitor you suggested and the reviews mentioned setting it up, whats that mean? Cant I just plug the wires in?

Yes you can just plug it in.......

Captain Ahab said:
BassAddict said:

No I just figure id stop when i need glasses, but until that time ill just keep buying bigger monitors/Tv's :lol: :lol:

Mr. 'moo,

If you're not a purist or a gamer and want a bit more bang for your buck, you might want to look at an off-brand model monitor. Like TVs, they are all made by the same 3 or 4 manufacturers and then badged for each company with slightly different casings.

I'm guessing that you have a 17"CRT (read big ***) monitor. Replacing it with a 20" will be nice, but adding a 23" will just blow your mind. Check out this one for $50 more at Best Buys.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hannsp...ci_sku=9218777&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218061081819

Thanks Doc, all I would have to do is plug it in right? I dont have to go through a series of stuff that would make me cry, would I?

Captain Ahab said:
BassAddict said:

monitor.jpg

What is BassAddict looking at anyway - that does not look like Tinboats

I use a 32'' HDTV for my monitor... well actually for my home theater pc, but I surf on it as much as the other 2 computers in the room so I count it. The 32 is just too big really for working on, but games are great!

My last job we ran double 22's, that made for some awesome panoramic backgrounds, but one 21-23 is a good size to have. The bigger screens just allow you to fit more on them, so the 22" at work is the same 'resolution' (or text size) as my on the desktop 17" but it is a wider screen so if fits more excel colums.

My preference is to set the video settings to the monitor's recommended settings and thes text is about the same 'size' as a smaller monitor - otherwise it just looks blurry to me (just like 'cleartype' is blurry - what a name - 'cleartype' blah!)

MikeA57 said:
I've been buying Acer monitors now for the last 3 years or so now. So far, no problems and the look great! Just plug and play and you can usually find them CHEAP!!! Like this one:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5525818&CatId=2775

$149 for a 22"er!!! I've got them at home, at my church, at work and I just set one up for my Mother in Law a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended \:D/ \:D/
Its funny you mentioned Acer, I went to buy a SamSung22" and the sales person suggested I get the Acer X223hbd (23") instead, he said it has exactly the same thing as the SamSung so I went with for it, price for the SamSung was 179.99 and the Acer was 139.99. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I'm a happy Camper :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

shamoo said:
MikeA57 said:
I've been buying Acer monitors now for the last 3 years or so now. So far, no problems and the look great! Just plug and play and you can usually find them CHEAP!!! Like this one:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5525818&CatId=2775

$149 for a 22"er!!! I've got them at home, at my church, at work and I just set one up for my Mother in Law a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended \:D/ \:D/
Its funny you mentioned Acer, I went to buy a SamSung22" and the sales person suggested I get the Acer X223hbd (23") instead, he said it has exactly the same thing as the SamSung so I went with for it, price for the SamSung was 179.99 and the Acer was 139.99. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I'm a happy Camper :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good score Mr. 'moo !!!!

Like I said, buy with your eyes and your wallet. Not much difference you can see with our old eyes between the monitors today. But I'll bet that new monitor lights up the room !! 8)

I have to wear my shads when I turn it on :LOL2: You guys are right I'm loven it! I actually had the Acer written down to compare to the SamSung, Acer wasnt on the shelf so I got the Sales dude, told him I wanted the SamSung and he suggested the Acer, went to the storeroom and the rest is history.

When I first plugged it in it the sides were off the screen, I couldnt see those arrows on the side or the red X, I hit Auto and it adjusted for me, the only thing now is the smileys look a little squaty, instead of of round they're a little oblong but I can live with that.

shamoo said:
When I first plugged it in it the sides were off the screen, I couldnt see those arrows on the side or the red X, I hit Auto and it adjusted for me, the only thing now is the smileys look a little squaty, instead of of round they're a little oblong but I can live with that.

To make them round again (assuming you are using windows XP -
Go to the desktop, right click and choose properties - this brings up display properties, click the 'settings' tab and adjust the screen resolution to the 'more' side, experiment a bit till you get one that looks right. It gives you 15 seconds to revert back to the old one without you even touching it. Your monitor has a preferred resolution (probably on the box), if you choose this and the print is too hard to read, just find one of the screen resolutions that maintain the same ratio as the preferred method. I usually do the preferred method and adjust other things, but those other things can affect other programs... so I'll not metion them here :wink:

Latest posts