December 7, 1941

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a few years ago, I had the honor to be in Hawaii on Dec. 7th. Being a young "er" sailor on liberty, I went to the memorial, I don't know if it was just me or what, but there seemed to be a different feeling in the air that day than when I had visited the memorial before. It is truly a momentous feeling if you go there.

Makes you think about those who were there before and now makes me think about those who walk that path after me. God Bless you all, past, present and future.

I think it should be observed as a national holiday. During the morning announcements at school this morning, they had a moment of silence for those that perished on this date during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Additionally, we always have a moment of silence for those stationed abroad in harms way after the Pledge od Allegience is recited over the speaker system throughout the school.

:USA1:

Waterwings said:
I think it should be observed as a national holiday.
Right there with you. Not only to commemorate those who lost their lives there, as well as throughout the rest of the war, but to open folk's eyes to history. George Santayana once said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." As someone who is interested in history purely because of an interest in politics and government, it pains me to see what is left out of teachings in public schools these days. Unfortunately, political agendas seem to interfere with facts, and all to much is left out.

During the morning announcements at school this morning, they had a moment of silence for those that perished on this date during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Additionally, we always have a moment of silence for those stationed abroad in harms way after the Pledge od Allegience is recited over the speaker system throughout the school.
Shoot, I wish we had that. I didn't hear ONE WORD of Pearl Harbor spoken today until the end of the day, and I would expect nothing less from a Retired Marine who has been stationed just about everywhere on the planet.

Latest posts