Tow vehicle transmission article

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skimmed through the article real quick and as soon as I saw B&M I knew it was going to be about putting add ons to the trans. Though they will help improve the life of your transmission, I never saw the number one way to protect your transmission, flush it regularly not just drain and fill, that only replaces 40% to 50% of the fluid. Normal driving a transmission should be flushed (with the proper machine to replace all the fluid) every 30k miles. My truck pulls a boat 50% of the time so I flush mine every 15k to 20k miles.

Bush Hawg said:
I skimmed through the article real quick and as soon as I saw B&M I knew it was going to be about putting add ons to the trans. Though they will help improve the life of your transmission, I never saw the number one way to protect your transmission, flush it regularly not just drain and fill, that only replaces 40% to 50% of the fluid. Normal driving a transmission should be flushed (with the proper machine to replace all the fluid) every 30k miles. My truck pulls a boat 50% of the time so I flush mine every 15k to 20k miles.

Good point about the flush & fill to extend the life of the tranny. 8)

My last truck had 100+k miles on it when I traded it, and I never did the tranny flush and fill, but then again I didn't pull the boat (tin rig) too often, and only for short distances. Still a good idea though, and I will probably (maybe) follow the mfg suggested schedule this time with the new truck.

I suppose it just depends on who you talk to about a transmission flush. Many sources say that you should never flush one because you are much more likely to break loose accumulated crud that may clog up the transmission passages.

Quackrstackr said:
I suppose it just depends on who you talk to about a transmission flush. Many sources say that you should never flush one because you are much more likely to break loose accumulated crud that may clog up the transmission passages.

That's one of the main reasons I've never done it in the past.

Ah, the joys of a manual tranny. Really only have to worry about clutch wear, and not much else.

I believe in flushing regularly. ATF doesn't like heat, and will break down. Bad ATF doesn't do real well. If you do a lot of heavy towing, especially long distances, look into a manual torque converter lockup switch. This allows you to lock up the torque converter, so that it won't self unlock when reaching a gentle grade. An unlocked torque converter produces a LOT of heat. Sure, some people don't like them, but if used correctly, they can cut down a lot of heat and allow you to tow in OD.

Also, when pulling through town, I tow in 3. This usually keeps from the constant 3 - 4 shift/torque converter locking/unlocking, which cuts down on heat. This will kill your mileage on the highway, but is beneficial at stop and go.

Or, just get you a 5 speed and have no worries.

When towing the boat, I turn the O/D button to the Off position. Uses a little more fuel, but the tranny isin't doing the up/down shift so much on hills. The new vehicle (the 2010 truck) has renamed the O/D button to the "Tow/Haul" button now.

Jim said:
117k miles on the Taco. It might be time? Or should I take my chances? :mrgreen:
Nah. I hear you never fish, so I don't think it has much time pulling the boat. At that rate, you should be good for quite a while. :lol: :lol: :shock:

bassboy1 said:
Jim said:
117k miles on the Taco. It might be time? Or should I take my chances? :mrgreen:
Nah. I hear you never fish, so I don't think it has much time pulling the boat. At that rate, you should be good for quite a while. :lol: :lol: :shock:

:LMFAO:

bassboy1 said:
Jim said:
Captain Ahab said:
bassboy1 said:
Jim said:

:LMFAO:

Everyones a Comedian. :D

You both are out of my will. :shock:

good artical

if you havent flushed your tranny regularly (30-40k miles) since it was new leave it alone. if you have flushed it regularily, once you hit 90-100k leave it alone. atf is a detergent, and when your bands and clutches wear you want that gritty fluid to help them stick

if you havent flushed your tranny fluid i highly recomend BG trans (smooth shift) additive. its not a detergent or leak stop, it simply just replaces the additives thats burned out of the fluid

Latest posts