Merry Christmas to me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I received my 50 caliber airgun this week and finally stopped playing with it and took a few pictures. Added a 3x9 x 40 mil dot scope to her, which should make the targets really clear. Did a little peeking under the cover and really like the rifle. Should be a real shooter! She runs off of 3000 psi compressed air. I use a special airpump to reach those levels - or you could use an scuba tank to recharge it. The bullets I had on hand were 220 grain hollowpoints, compare that to an 8-11 grain .177 pellet or 14.3 grain .22 pellet!

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000001.jpg

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000002.jpg

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000003.jpg

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000004.jpg

I had to introduce her to my first love... This pistol is a modified Crosman 2240 that runs of CO2 cartridges, but will soon be a pcp (compressed air) so I can use it during the 30 degree hunting days (CO2 doesn't really work in cold temps). Right now, it just protects the bird feeder from squirrels during the summer.

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000005.jpg

Shot the DAQ over the chrony with 220 grain soft cast bullets from R Vogel, cleared 740 fps and really slammed the phone book backstop. This is the Milwaukee books, added it up and it broke thru 2500 pages (1250 individual pages). It was a solid backstop so I was very impressed. I had to pry the books apart, thought it would make a good picture...

2009-12-14DAQBandit5000006.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Will

What do you hunt with that bad boy? is there advantages to using the air gun instead of a traditional gun?

Crankworm said:
What do you hunt with that bad boy? is there advantages to using the air gun instead of a traditional gun?

No real advantage, The airgun would be a step above a bow, but below a traditional gun. This is designed to shoot round balls from with great accuracy (groups the size of a quarter at 40 yards). The round balls and limited power limit the effective range of the gun. By my calcs, I am out of the mildots at 70 yards, and real effective range is somewhere around 50 yards. Others have taken bear, hogs, deer, buffalo, etc.

Most people don't know that Lewis and Clark took an airgun along on their exploration - it was known as the magic gun by the native americans because it used no powerd, blew no fire or smoke, and could shoot without reloading (in truth it shot 20 times without reloading, but the native americans didn't know it had a max) Lewis was very careful to not let anyone outside the group see it loaded or pumped. With the gun, his magic was more powerful than the Native American's magic and they left him alone. Once they were detained and thought they would be robbed or killed. He produced the gun and said he was ready to leave. The group that had stopped him vanished. Ah, the things you learn with a hobby!

For my purposes, it is not legal to hunt deer with them in WI yet. So it will just sit there until small game season. Then I'll see if I can poke a hole in a coon or coyote, or ? Might have to visit a hog ranch to try it out. Beleive it or not, they make one that puts out almost 2x the power of this one! Just amazing what air can do!

Awesome gun man! NEver knew about the compressed air technology in those guns.

On a side note, my son will be getting his "Red Ryder" this year at Christmas. :D

Jim said:
Awesome gun man! NEver knew about the compressed air technology in those guns.

On a side note, my son will be getting his "Red Ryder" this year at Christmas. :D
Careful you know what they say :LOL2:

For those wondering, here is a reference for what a 50 cal airgun pellet looks like... The small one is a .22 caliber - you might recognize the Windows stickers :) These were recovered from the phone books - the expanded one was a hollowpoint, the other was not and didn't deform much at all.

2009-12-15whatis50cal.JPG

Nice rifle.

I have talked with a guy on another forum for a few years now that regularly takes deer with his.

Loggerhead Mike said:
i knew they were bad, but man thats pretty amazing. are you limited to 1 shot if your in the woods?

sweet guns =P~

Actually mine in it's slightly modified state will get 3 very good shots and 1-2 marginal ones (good for a close followup if needed) As it came to me it would get 4 good shots + 1 pretty good one and a few marginal ones. You really should only use one shot. Any more than that and you are just messing around.

I increased the hammer spring a bit to allow more air to flow thru it. When it arrived, it was supposed to send a round ball at around 700 fps, I got a 22% heavier bullet to go 40 fps faster than that, so now we'll see what the roundball does.

My bullets only cost me 0.10 cents each - and I can melt them down and reuse them. That's a bargain compared to my traditional guns 8)

Will

wasilvers said:
My bullets only cost me 0.10 cents each - and I can melt them down and reuse them. That's a bargain compared to my traditional guns 8)

Does that factor in the scuba tank or per shot cost of the specialty pump? :lol:

One of my customers is into big bore airguns, all airguns really. A service call out at his place lasts all day! :D I still have a Ben Sheridan I got when I was a kid, still plinks away.

So, you have to be SCUBA certified to load this gun ??? :wink:

Seriously, I do have one question. Can this be purchased by a minor ?? As an air gun, it probably isn't covered under the firearms laws and I wouldn't want to see an unsupervised 12 year old with one of these.

Waterwings said:
We have two scuba tanks that we use to fill the .177 competition air rifle cylinders we use at school. We get the tanks filled at the fire dept. at no charge.

Be careful no one goes SCUBA diving with those tanks !!! :shock: Bad Air !!!

DocWatson said:
So, you have to be SCUBA certified to load this gun ??? :wink:

Seriously, I do have one question. Can this be purchased by a minor ?? As an air gun, it probably isn't covered under the firearms laws and I wouldn't want to see an unsupervised 12 year old with one of these.

2x
VERY true, good point. Especially the ones who don't know the power, and think it wwould make a good prank. We should make a law stating only people over x years has the right to own a gun like this. From what I see, it is pretty dang powerful.

A law? seriously I hope I missed the humor there. I think we have enough laws. Parents should care more about their kids and watch over them like the good Lord intended. And laws can't fix stupid :wink:

But to answer that, I think the laws are you have to be over 18 to buy an airgun (but don't quote me there). The guy who makes these verifes age before shipping - he even has you sign that you read all the warnngs on the gun before he ships it.

Guns like these are really cost prohibative for minors anyway. The gun was $660, pump another $200 - and that is pretty cheap for the power. Next level starts about $1200. And I had to wait 3? months to get it. I haven't seen a 12 year old wait much lately :p

Yeah, I know I can buy decent rifle for less, but I already have those. A 50 cal airgun, now thats something :D Does it make a difference that I felt the same the first time I shot it as when I first shot my Red Ryder many years ago? :lol:

wasilvers said:
A law? seriously I hope I missed the humor there. I think we have enough laws. Parents should care more about their kids and watch over them like the good Lord intended. And laws can't fix stupid :wink:

But to answer that, I think the laws are you have to be over 18 to buy an airgun (but don't quote me there). The guy who makes these verifes age before shipping - he even has you sign that you read all the warnngs on the gun before he ships it.

Guns like these are really cost prohibative for minors anyway. The gun was $660, pump another $200 - and that is pretty cheap for the power. Next level starts about $1200. And I had to wait 3? months to get it. I haven't seen a 12 year old wait much lately :p

Yeah, I know I can buy decent rifle for less, but I already have those. A 50 cal airgun, now thats something :D Does it make a difference that I felt the same the first time I shot it as when I first shot my Red Ryder many years ago? :lol:

Personally, I don't believe anyone under 12 should handle a gun of any type. And, if I go further with my opinions, I'm certain you don't want to hear it. So I won't.

It's true that you can educate ignorance, but you cannot "fix" STUPID. But, how many well intending parents have killed their own children or their children's friends by giving their kid a gun ??? Parents should care, but many do not !!! Is it necessary to give a "child" under the age of 18 a lethal weapon ??? Sensible ??? I don't believe so. We don't hunt our food any longer, we buy it. If you hunt for sustenance, that's another story.

I hope we can agree to disagree, because I will never accept guns as necessary in today's world except for military and police reasons. Rifles and shotguns are the only weapons that make sense today. Their primary use is hunting.

Latest posts