Best duct tape story ever

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This was sent to me in an e-mail from a friend.

Best duct tape story ever

During a private "fly-in" fishing excursion in the Alaskan wilderness, the chartered pilot and fishermen left a cooler and bait in the plane. And a bear smelled it. This is what he did to the plane.

The pilot radioed another pilot to bring him 2 new tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a supply of sheet plastic. He patched the plane together, and FLEW IT HOME!

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

:shock: Great thinking of the pilot, but I would have been looking over my shoulder while repairing the plane to see if the bear was coming back. Glad to see they got out of there in the plane OK.

The way commercial airline companies are trying to cut back and save money, I hope they don't see this post. :shock:

:idea: .....or, it could open-up a new catagory for plane repair jobs for a master duct taper!

Couldn't he have cut off the excess and flown it 'as is' - as long as he repaired the horizontal stabilizer (rear)? Wings provide lift and motor provides thrust - the body doesn't do anything but contain the passenger and ice chests? Or am I missing something?

I guess I'm the negative guy on this one. Pilots in alaskan wilderness don't live long making decisions like leaving bait in the plane while away. If the bear destroys radio, without a backup, he's there for awhile till someone comes looking for him - and that can take awhile. I know a couple of Alsakan pilots/guides who fly these planes - craziest guys I know. But to be an OLD alaskan pilot, he needs to be aware of most every situation. Kind of like the trappers of the early days.

Anyway, cool story - hope the guy learned his lesson!

:?

Waterwings said:
The way commercial airline companies are trying to cut back and save money, I hope they don't see this post. :shock:

:idea: .....or, it could open-up a new catagory for plane repair jobs for a master duct taper!

The airlines do use tape on their planes. It is called speed tape.

KMixson said:
Waterwings said:

The airlines do use tape on their planes. It is called speed tape.

So much for my idea then, lol. Seems like that job has already been filled, lol.

When I was 17 my Dad and my Uncle Charlie took 3 of my cousins and I up to a fly in lake in Ontario. We were flying in 65 miles NE from Red Lake, Ont. We loaded up the plane all 6 of us got in (5 of us and the pilot) and we take off down the lake. We get up speed but can't get off the water. We're getting closer and closer to the end of the lake and at the last second the pilot shuts it down grabs a piece of baling wire and a pair of needle nose pliers and climbs out of the plane. He puts the wire in something out there and twists the ends together, then gets back in the plane and we head back the way we just came. Got up speed and took right off. I had flown 1 other time but never in a seaplane. I was pretty scared the 1st time we went down the lake, but after seeing him do that I was terrified!! It worked like a charm though and I lived long enough to get to this point!

Mike

Latest posts