HOME DEPOT.... Grrr!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Home Depot can kiss my butt. I accidentally grabbed two 500 foot rolls of 12ga wire last week and realized it this morning. I swung by there on the way to werk this evening and asked if I could exchange them for the 14 ga I really wanted even though I no longer had the receipt. The guy said I could but any difference in price would have to be put on a store card. No problem until he wanted to charge me a 24% fee for not having the receipt (I paid $108.00 for the 2 rolls and he was gonna give me $82.04 back). SCREW THAT, I'll use the 12 ga wire before I do that.

Unless you paid cash.....take a copy of your bank statement. That should sub as a receipt.

I normally don't shop HD. It's either Menards (why? I don't know, their stuff is more crap than the rest) or Lowes.
I don't mind the store credit. Those don't expire like some gift cards but it does tie up come cash flow.
I used my debit card and while that will show the total spent, it won't itemize it so they wouldn't be able to tell what I bought or how much I paid for anything.
Depending on what the weather does, I may go back this morning and try to talk to the store manager about this.

Hopefully the store mgr will work with you. Only thing we have in town here is a Lowe's and a True Value. Would have to drive 45 miles to get to a HD, and they're so dang cluttered I never can find anything.

Im a fan of Lowes myself. They always have what I need and have never had a problem there. The last time I went to HD, not only did I have to hunt for what I needed but trying to get some decent help there was un-real. The people had some attitudes and just really didn't seem to care if they helped you or not.

Now, after hearing how they did you, I wont go back again. Besides, the Lowes I use in next to Dicks sporting goods... Have to make the detour some times ya know!!!! :LOL2:

I've never heard of them charging a restocking fee before. Thats not right.

Restocking fees are a scam I am sure as with anything there is a purpose for it, but I think a lot of companies such as this one, have taken it too the extreme.

What they are doing here is a ripoff 24%! I could see a flat rate, but a percentage! If that's the case, then why would you go there for major purchases! What if you get the tool, part of component and it turns out to be a piece of junk! They going to charge you for re stocking a piece of crap that they are going to sell to the next guy! Give me a break.

Just my .02

First off, I never said re-stocking fee. From what I can figure out is they look back 90 days and whatever the lowest price was in that time period is what they refund. I suppose they wouldn't know if you bought a bunch of stuff on sale and returned it for full price afterwards.

But that is all moot now. I found the receipt. Sorry about the egg slime and the used cat litter that is stuck to it... :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted:

Once I use up the store credit, I'll be shopping Menards and Lowes exclusively

I quit shopping Home Depot after learning they fired an employee for chasing down a shoplifter here in North Charleston a couple of years back. Their policy is to let them go, same goes for a lot of banks and other institutions. To me that is wrong.

Actually I concur with the "let them go" policy. Otherwise employees may feel obligated to intervene and get hurt or worse in the process. I do not however feel anyone that does intervene should be reprimanded for their actions. That is above and beyond as far as I'm concerned

Try a local hardware store next time! My family owns a small hardware business in NJ and we would have switched out that wire no problem. Oh course we would have remembered you, probably know your name and oh yeah, we charge less then Home Cheapo for almost everything.

Andy, sorry to hear about your issues with HD. I have one a mile away, a Lowes 1/2 mile away and a Menards 1 1/2 miles away (Gander mountain and Dick's are in-between all of them:) :)... I prefer Menards for pretty much everything. Never had a problem returning anything at Menards - even some single lumber pieces left over from a project.... Since you found the receipt, can you go back and get the correct refund price??? Good luck......

The "store credit" with no receipt also helps curb shoplifting - we had a lot of people returning stolen items without a receipt. Heck, sometimes they would get out of the store and turn right around and go into the same store to return the item they just stole all in one trip. Home depot was a favorite target. Most stores only give a store credit now if you don't have a receipt. ---- but that 24% is a real bummer....

Captain Ahab said:
Try a local hardware store next time! My family owns a small hardware business in NJ and we would have switched out that wire no problem. Oh course we would have remembered you, probably know your name and oh yeah, we charge less then Home Cheapo for almost everything.

Wish we had a local hardware store... all gone near me I am afraid. Only good thing is between the lowe's and home cheapo there is a BPS which I must stop at every time I need to go to the hardware store... LOL

alumacraftjoe said:
Captain Ahab said:

Wish we had a local hardware store... all gone near me I am afraid. Only good thing is between the lowe's and home cheapo there is a BPS which I must stop at every time I need to go to the hardware store... LOL

Really - Google shows at least a dozen in or near your town - these are just the True Values - there are others

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...roup&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQtQMwAA

Latest posts