Update on pg 2 - Any idea on how much welding costs?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
The 'Getting Ready' thread got me thinking what needs to be done for next year. The prior owner of my boat hit something dead on center on my "Vee" style boat. I didn't notice more than the scrape when buying the boat and didn't notice the hole the first time it leaked (pretty good leak). It looks like a scrape on the front vee but also has a crack right down the middle of it – almost dead center about 3 inches long. I tried patching it with silicone, and that works for about 1/2 a day. But the silicone pulls off in a day of fishing if I go wide open a lot.

The crack doesn't seem to be growing at all after a full year of use. I used it in some pretty rough water, even got the boat air-born once and mostly air-born a few other times while just playing around on some nice wakes – so I hope it isn’t a major problem besides the leak.

Any idea on what the average price would be to patch this? I'm just looking for a range so I can stop with the first guy I call if he is in the range.

Will

Will here is an example for you.After I straightened the corner,a weldshop laid a nice TIG on it for $36,it was around 8in long.So,$36 for the weld+about $15 for gas to get it there=Around $51 total.Ask a few people you know associated with welding to find the best shop in your area.I asked our shop mech. and even a few welders themselves,about who did the best TIGs.They all steered me to this one shop,so that is where it went.Hope this helps you out.SANY6544.JPG

I'm currently in the process of changing my welding side work, into a welding business, and from my research, I have found that prices are all over the board. However, for that job, I would keep with Bugpacs response, unless you find a shop that specializes in smaller jobs (most shops will, at the minimum, charge a full hours rate, even for a partial hours job, as smaller jobs wouldn't be worth their time otherwise). I know of at least one shop (single employee - owner does all the work) that, for smaller repair jobs, charges a dollar a minute. Most hourly rates are around 60+, at least in this area.

I got an idea for ya maybe call the local high school shop or tech school class maybe they're teach aluminum welding ya might get it done free.....just a thought.....JIGGY

jigster60 said:
I got an idea for ya maybe call the local high school shop or tech school class maybe they're teach aluminum welding ya might get it done free.....just a thought.....JIGGY

Good idea. But only some school do thing other than stick. So make sure and ask. Also dont forget about the votec college.

I would rough it up good an inch all the way around the crack and try some JB weld for allum. Your not out much if it does not hold up, but saved a few buck if it does. I patched a punch through in my 12 ft allum. 15 years ago and it is still holding. It even held through a winter when it filled with rain and froze solid full of ice, and sat all winter. It blew out the tires but the patch held. LOL :shock:

dougdad said:
I would rough it up good an inch all the way around the crack and try some JB weld for allum. Your not out much if it does not hold up, but saved a few buck if it does. I patched a punch through in my 12 ft allum. 15 years ago and it is still holding. It even held through a winter when it filled with rain and froze solid full of ice, and sat all winter. It blew out the tires but the patch held. LOL :shock:

While I am not sure that it is the best solution to this problem, I do have to give JB weld props. I used to never put much, if any, faith into it, until recently. This year, the state mandated that all high school students do a science fair project. Of course, I had to do something metal related, so I tested the tensile strengths of various steel fastening methods. I tested lap joints of various welds, bolts and JB weld, pulling them apart with a 30 ton press. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it sure held its own, surprisingly. And, this was just a lap joint, where the stuff was merely acting as a glue.

I don't see it as being the miracle solution, but I do see it as being used in many things I wouldn't have in the past. I have to say, it did impress me.

IMO, a reasonable shop, were you drop the stuff off, should charge no more than a 1/2 hr minimum, if it is under that time frame of course.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

Update on the welding on my boat. I was working on a client of ours and realized that 'xxxx's Welding and Repair just might be able to help me with my problem. He came out and looked at the boat first before quoting me some high price. Anyway after chatting a bit, he's going to weld the keel of the boat to about halfway back and fix the crack for $450 (cash). Does this sound like a decent price? He estimates it will take him a day to move the boat around and get it welded. In looking at it, the prior owner just caked silicone on the keel, about 3 different colors were there. That doesn't leak (maybe the silicone works), just the crack drips water out of it when I leak tested.

Will

Latest posts