Why do you fish?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugpac

Reaction score
Well, ill go first, 90% of what drives me fishing, is the friendships I have made, I have spent more time shooting the bs with guys in the boat than poles in the water before. I really enjoy the thrill of the catch, even getting skunked generally doesn't put me down, I enjoy fishing by myself when i am catching fish, Not so much when i am not, If i am not catching I prefer to have someone to talk to, lol... I started out tourney fishing this yr, and have met some really great guys, Have met a few tools as well. I am pretty sour about the tourney fishing right now, Really puts a nasty taste in my mouth that people get so sore about loosing. A good friend of mine won a tourney a few weeks back, His buddy of about 15-16yrs didnt even congratulate him, Sore way to be right there folks. Anyhow, I am looking forward to fishing a few tourneys with Bang this yr, From what i understand these guys love to fish, but they also do it for the friendships, Never about the money.. Probbaly the only competative fishing I will do this yr. I am really looking forward to getting my 4/5 yr old girls in the boat come may or so, and get them on some of there first fish ever, I cant wait.. I am always game to fish with someone new, If your ever in the area feel free to hit me up, Id be happy to have you along, or tag along with you. :) You arent gonna learn anything from me, But i certainly may from you.. :)

Originally I started fishing for exercise, as many of you know I got a bum left arm & leg from an illness i had as a kid and fishing really helps me stay loose and active without feeling like i am actually exercising (i hate the gym/exercise routines!!). Lately tho fishing has taken a backseat to the worming operation, hopefully next year Ill be able to fish more on account of the time having duplicate molds will save me!

I enjoy being on the water and the rush when you get a hit on the line or the clicker in the reel goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

Because getting high any other way is generally illegal :LOL2:

One of my earliest memories is being taken fishing by my Dad. I got a hook hung up near my eye and it hurt. Funny thing is, my Dad didn't fish much, maybe 2x a year.

I like the thrill of the catch, working on fooling a dumb animal, picturing my success to be relived another day. There is just something nice about getting outdoors and enjoying the creation.

I really like when my kids have a good time fishing. I also get joy out of introducing newbys to my little fishing holes, watching their faces as they catch the 'biggest bass of their life'. Almost as good as catching them yourself.

Guess I fish because I always have a good time! (even when our motor quit within sight of the dock and I spent 2 hours with my Dad rowing back to shore against the wind). A good time even though it should have been crappy.

My fishing buddy happens to be my wife of 9 years, we talk more while out in the boat then any other time. Last year we spent over 50 days fishing together I wouldn't trade that time spent with her for anything.

There are a lot of reasons why I used to fish... mainly boredom.

Then I found a few websites (including this one) that really made me think about why I fish. It's the comraderie and meeting new friends on and off the water. I don't keep many secrets - basically, I like to see people catch fish, whether it's during a tournament or not. (Bugpac saw how Dale and I fish together even in different boats... dale put us on a fish spot which was right next to him).

bug - can't wait to see ya out on the water at the end of this month... you're gonna love it. Us north ga boys are a little different than what you're used to fishing with

I like to be out in nature. If I am not catching any fish, I am happy birdwatching, watching alligators or other wildlife. I can take a nap while fishing and wake up to the clicker of the reel singing. The fresh air does not hurt also.

russ010 said:

Then I found a few websites (including this one) that really made me think about why I fish. It's the comraderie and meeting new friends on and off the water. I don't keep many secrets - basically, I like to see people catch fish, whether it's during a tournament or not. (Bugpac saw how Dale and I fish together even in different boats... dale put us on a fish spot which was right next to him).

bug - can't wait to see ya out on the water at the end of this month... you're gonna love it. Us north ga boys are a little different than what you're used to fishing with

I was debating going for the fish off, But I have decided I am all done, so ill be there.. Carters tomorrow, I cant wait, Hope the roads cleared off...

Dale is a great fisherman as well, I really wanted nothing more than to see his 5 fish win. Russ, is he a member here?

he's a member, but doesn't get on very often I don't think.. I know he gets on GON pretty regular. Lizard Dragger is his screen name on here too

GREAT TOPIC!!! =D>

Fishing in is my genes. My family has been big fisherman for 3 - 4 generations on both sides of my family. My grandfather died a couple of years ago at the age of 93, but he was still fishing Lake Pontchartrain out of a big Boston Whaler everyday by hisself until he was 86. Taking the boat keys from him was worse than getting the car keys from him :lol: . My family distilled the love and respect for nature in me from birth.

There is no better rush than having a 20lbs Redfish crash a topwater at daylight and then to see him swim off to fight another day. Although I don't compete in tournaments like I use too, I'm very competitive. A lot of people say I take fishing way to seriously. I love a challenge. The harder the conditions the more I like it. I strive and struggle to become the best fisherman I can. It may not seem like it but this is relaxing to me. It takes my mind off of the daily grind.

I could go on and on. My best memories are of my dad and all of my grand parents taking my brother and I fishing, camping, hunting, and etc.

russ010 said:

That pretty well covers it. Speaking of which, I don't think we've met up in at least 6 months. We need to meet back up a time or two this spring, when it warms up.

Being the young guy, fishing tourneys at age 15 or 16, I would often have a couple guys idle over and tell me about their pattern that week, at possible risk to their check. Not many sports, where money is involved are you going to find that.

It might also have to do with the fun. You can't beat landing a large fish. Nothing compares to that. Specknreds pretty well covered that point.

Started fishing with my girl friends dad. He introduced me to bass fishing with a topwater frog, and I've been hooked ever since.

I've been around boating my entire life, and truly believe its in my blood. I have no problem with getting skunked, because it gave me a chance to sit on the water and not think about anything else.

So I guess the combo of the two, excitement and a reason to boat are why I fish. :-k

I grew up fishing back bays and the ocean with my grandfather. He was part owner of a marina in south jersey and he and my grandmother would babysit me since my mom was a single parent and worked two jobs. I didn't start fishing freshwater until I was around 17 or 18.In the late 80's parents bought a vacation house on a lake in upstate NY and that is when I really started to get into freshwater fishing. There is nothing like walking out on the dock at 6 in the morning, crisp air, the water like glass, topwater lure tied on and casting out and watching a bass explode on the surface. Now being almost 35yrs old with a son and daughter, I want to make our own memories of spending time on the water together.

Is there a better way to spend the millions of dollars I have sitting under the mattress?
I enjoy the competition of the tournaments i fish The 2 weeks a year i go to my farm in Ill. and spend the time with my wife while she gets to catch some nice fish. Meeting new friends that share my love of this great sport.

Bugpac said:
Latham 1/28, I will have a empty seat in the boat... :) You down for it Bassboy?

Shoot, if it wasn't a Thursday, I'd be all over it. Aside from weekends, my only school holidays are for the next two months are the 18th, then Feb. 12th and 15th.

Latest posts