BBQ Pitmasters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Quote about ribs....

"The meat should not fall off the bone. There should be a perfect teeth outline with every bite. This is not backyard BBQ, this is competition BBQ"

Your thoughts?

I really want a smoker..........I know we talked about it before but watching this on TV has got me drooling.

Go for it! Here is some of the food I smoked last summer... =P~ =P~ =P~

Pork Spare Ribs
100_4391.jpg

Chicken Thighs and Italian Sausage
100_4470.jpg

Smoked Meatloaf
100_4602.jpg

My Smoker when it was new - Its a little rusty now but still works great!
100_4344.jpg

ACarbone624 said:
Go for it! Here is some of the food I smoked last summer... =P~ =P~ =P~

Pork Spare Ribs
100_4391.jpg

Chicken Thighs and Italian Sausage
100_4470.jpg

Smoked Meatloaf
100_4602.jpg

My Smoker when it was new - Its a little rusty now but still works great!
100_4344.jpg

I'm thinking a TinBoats BBQ at Anthony's house this summer =P~ =P~ :-D

Jim said:
"The meat should not fall off the bone. There should be a perfect teeth outline with every bite. This is not backyard BBQ, this is competition BBQ"
BINGO!!!

Here's our smoker. I built this thing a couple months ago. The entire cooking chamber and firebox are made of 1/4 inch diamond plate (we prefer the heat retention qualities of thick steel - takes a little longer to heat up, but but once hot, is very stable). All the metal is bought from the scrapyard at 20 cents/pound, hence the rusty metal and the orange legs. The inside was ground clean, but after the first use, it gets an incredibly thick coating of grease. The smoker weighs about 550 pounds (notice the lifting tabs on the side? We couldn't get it off the welding table otherwise).

The cooking chamber is 20 x 36, and from the grate to the top is 26". It is pictured with one rack, but two more are in the works, to have a total of 3 layers for ribs, chicken or jerky. The smokebox is 16 x 16 x 20. We burn a combination of whole firewood, lump charcoal, and charcoal briquettes, just whatever is most handy. Ours is set up as a reverse flow style (see the link further down), and drafts excellently, pulling plenty of air in for a nice fire. This shape does an amazing job of pulling air through, and we usually block most of the chimney (limiting the air exiting the chimney adjusts the draft flowing through, and thus, the temp). We even boil coffee on the top of the smokebox. We can put 6 10 pound or bigger Boston Butts on the pictured rack alone.
Here's the link of the different types of smokers.
https://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20771

Ignore the industrial steps and other crap in the background. Those are slated to go on a playground we are going to build.
smoker001.jpg

Don't know what the camera did to the left side of the picture. Looks like rust, but its not.
smoker007.jpg

I'm not too worried about how my ribs look.

Leave teeth marks, fall off the bone... it's all good. :lol:

I have several pounds of meat waiting patiently in the deep freeze for the temps to warm up enough for me to fire up the smoker.

Dang, I wish I could weld like bassboy :? Very nice - Does it takes a lot of fuel to keep that beast going for a full smoke?

Good looking pits - looks like you guys really know how to bbq.

As to fall off the bone, I like a little resistance to it, but not enough for teeth marks. If I'm leaving teeth marks in pork, it's not done enough. JMHO

Will

Given the size of the smokebox, it really doesn't take much to keep it going. Last couple times, we started it with probably 6 or 8 pieces of split wood, then once those turned into a nice bed of coal, one large bag of charcoal briquettes keeps it going for 5 hours or better. It isn't much of a problem for us, as we burn a lot of wood, and usually keep around 5 or 6 cords of wood on the property at any given time.
We usually put quite a bit on it at a time, that keeps us going for a while. Last time, we cooked about 10 chickens, which we freeze, then use for things like chicken salad and whatnot until the next time we fire it up.

The best thing, however is the ribs. You can't beat those for anything.

Ah, I don't have much wood available, unless you count pine - lol.

My favorite vertical smoker I can go 15-16 hours on about half a bag of charcoal and one log's worth of mesquite. Very efficient, but I can only do 2 briskets or 6 racks of babybacks, but I have to roll them to get them to fit.

My biger smoker (New Bruansfel Bandera) eats me alive in charcoal/lump. Burns 4-5 times as much as my little guy. I did find I could put an electric element in the Bandera to help with heat, it will hold 180 with the electric heat, and I put a little fire/smoke in the firebox and it gets right to 220-230. Maybe I just need to find a good source of wood around here. :mrgreen:

Jim said:
Where there's a will there is a way! :LOL2:

https://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Funny - I tried the hotplate method first but it didn't not work for me, temps only up to 120 ish. Maybe I spent too much on the hotplate because I think mine kept shutting off when it got warm. I should have got one of the cheap ones that are happy to chug along till they get hot enough to self destruct and burn your house down. :shock:

Now I look for electric smokers on clearance because somebody dented the heck out of them. The heating elements are still good though.

Latest posts