Almost went swimming in 36 degree water yesterday...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrilla

Reaction score
A friend of mine with a Skeeter ZX225 invited me to fish with his bass club yesterday, they fish for crappie at Lake Jordan, NC as their January event. I brought a good friend of mine, new member here Engineer_Jim. We had fun crappie fishing, and since it was a nice day and Jim had never ridden in a bass boat other than a jon boat, I asked my friend to take us on a quick gofast ride, make a turn or two, etc.

We rode a mile or so down the lake, got up to maybe 60, and I felt the boat being trimmed down for a turn. To my surprise he made a hard RIGHT turn, much harder than I would have done with 3 people in the boat. Not to mention that I would never make a hard RIGHT turn with a passenger in the boat period- as you guys probably know, it is always better to make left turns with a passenger if you are doing a performance demo. We got part of the way around and the prop blew out and we did a quick, hard and fast 180. Jim was in the middle and was ok. I was on the outside, and I was literally half way out of the boat, feet up in the air and head and face in the water, bracing myself with my left arm on the handle to keep from going out.

When we set down, I flopped back into my seat, just in time for the back half of the boat to submerge, soaking all 3 of us from the back, from the shoulders on down. At first I thought my left arm was broken from holding on trying to keep from being ejected, but it's not. Once we realized everyone was ok, there was nervous laughter and an apology of course, and then some more laughter on the way back to the ramp. The boater guy obviously felt bad. It's a pretty new boat to him, and that combined with 3 people in the boat, he agrees that it wasn't a good idea.

So Jim at least has a great "first bass boat ride" story :) He said he didn't know anything was wrong until he saw me on my way over the side, he thought the turn was intentional. At the time, he was thinking, "DANG, these bass fishermen are CRAZY!!!!!" :mrgreen: Now that it's over, I can even laugh about it, but in almost 20 years of riding in bass boats, with the majority of that experience as a boater myself, including boats this size, that is the closest I've ever come to being ejected from a bass boat.

I feel like I've been in a little bit of a car accident, sore all over but nothing serious.

Just be careful.. it could be you... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP FOR U.S. ANGLER’S CHOICE ACCIDENT MEMBERS

Greetings…
My name is Dave Kilby, the U.S. Angler’s Choice Region 4 VP. As I am sure many of you know by now, two of our longtime Angler’s Choice members were involved in a tragic boating accident.
While competing in the Chesapeake Fall Pro Teams tournament on the Chesapeake Bay this past Sunday.
Walt Ross and Willie Barrett apparently hit an underwater obstruction shortly before weigh-in. The boat stopped immediately and the hydraulic jackplate separated causing the 225 E-Tech to recoil back into the cockpit hitting both anglers. The impact sent the Ranger into a 360 degree spin and ejected Willie while the motor crushed Walt against the driver’s console.
Despite his injuries, Walt had the presence of mind to grab onto Willie and somehow locate his cell phone to call 911. He held Willie to the boat while rescue boats responded immediately.
Willie sustained numerous severe lacerations to his hand, arm, and leg as well as hypothermia due to his 20 minutes in the water. He was put into a drug-induced coma and flown to ShockTrauma in Baltimore.
As of Tuesday he has had surgery on his arm which included the insertion of plates and screws. He also had his hand reconstructed on Monday. As of this memo the severity of his leg injury is the main concern. At this point doctors have been unable to stop the bleeding and are considering all options. As far as we know he is still in a drug-induced coma.

Walt, the driver has a fractured sternum, fractured clavicle, broken ribs and cuts and bruises as you would expect. He remains in intensive care at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, also in Baltimore. In addition to his pain and serious injuries he is guilt-ridden regarding the condition of Willie, his best friend and longtime tournament partner.

Walt Ross and Willie Barrett will obviously out of work for a long while. In addition their spouses have been and will remain at the hospitals with their guys eliminating their household income.

In response to the literally hundreds of requests nationally we are setting up a “Help Fund” for Walt, Willie and their families. As we approach the holidays it means even more to have the opportunity to help out fellow Angler’s Choice family members at this time.

If you wish to contribute to this fund please make your check payable to Angler’s Choice DelMarVa and put “Walt and Willie Fund” on the memo line of your check and send to

Dave Kilby/Angler’s Choice DelMarVa,
1713 Beechbank Way,
Bel Air, MD 21015.
https://www.susquehanna5.com/fullstory.php?97463

Glad you fellers are ok, I had my first ever bass boat expirience just last week, was with a seasoned veteran, I have been very cautious of whos invite i accept, for the most part, Lots of fellas can drive with exceptional skill, some can drive but there ego gets them while in presence of others. Others just cant drive period.. I was honored to have the privilege of the boat owner allowing me to drive his boat, I never considered at one time matting the hot foot to the floor, or trimming the engine up at all... This makes me even more Leary about who i might join in a boat trip in the future... When i was about 15 yrs old i was in a old ski boat with my buddy, he obviously did not know how to drive, he hard turned it left and put the entire side of the boat underwater.. Was a bit scary to say the least.. Anyhow glad to hear all is well, be safe out there...

Glad you're okay... things can get crazy real fast in those boats. Last Spring I was on lake Lanier with my step brother in his Triton. We were making a haul to a different part of the lake and I was just soaking in the scenery not paying attention when all of a sudden we hit a wave from a nearby houseboat and we went airborne. I came out of the seat and almost went out of the back of the boat. Luckily my step brother was paying attention and grabbed my arm keeping me in the boat. That was the last time I've been in a moving boat without holding on.

Thanks guys.

Here's a vid showing what can happen if you lose control of a bass boat. Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI&feature=fvw

Thanks guys, no doubt it was scary and we are fortunate. I appreciate that nobody here beat up my friend too bad about it- he is a good guy, and we all make mistakes. I have done some boneheaded things behind the wheel of a boat/car/motorcycle/you name it. Live and learn :beer:

Latest posts