Head Gasket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Nothings easy, I was driving my Truck Last Sunday when I noticed the defrosters started pushing out cold air, I looked at my guages just in time to see the water guage needle declining out of the red, it didnt stop till it hit the C(cold), drove it bout 10 miles home, I figured the thermostat went, Last Monday I went and got one plus 2 gallons of Preston (buy one get one free) 37 bucks, 25 after my rebate, Alls good, easy fix, after removing this and removing that to get to the housing I finally got it changed. I let it idle for 15 mins, still cold, went 2 miles down the road, 2 miles back, still cold. I started down the road to drop the truck off to my mechanic, about a block from the house the check engine light came on and the temp needle was pinned in the red, pulled off the road, opened the hood and anti-freeze was flowing from the coolant overflow, had to getter towed. Mechanic didnt get a chance to look at it till Friday, did a test and found emmission gasses was getting mixed with something or other, bottom line $3015 for a Jasper engine, $345 for hose/belt kit, $1,500 for labor plus tax or I could get a new Truck. I cant find what I want, I'm going to give it a couple more days than I have to make a decission, mean time I'm stuck!!!!

How about going to Craigs list and picking up a Beater till you can make a dicision.
If you go to <craigslook.com> its a search engine for Craigs list, you can look all over the Craigs list data base for something temporary.

Moo...get a new(er) truck.

Sucks I know. I'm in the same boat, not as severe as you but I made the decision to buy a newer truck. I need 5k in maintenance alone. The Tacoma was a super vehicle but I let it go too long and everything needs changing now.

Must be that time....Just had to buy the Bride a new car... Had to get something more reliable she drives 36 miles one way to work at hospital....ER nurse....She drove a lil Ford escape 4x4 SUV... man That was a good lil vehicle got 287,000 miles on it......

Now my old truck is stuck in park and I'M changing out brake override switch this morning matter fact ....when it rains it pours seems...Thinking the way the economy is we are all trying to stretch things now trying to get every mile outta our vehicles............................................JIGGY

I just cleaned her all out, I'm waiten for the dealership to call to see if they found a new toy for me. I'm kinda fussy, I'm not a big fan of a pick-up with seats in the back, so heres what I'm waiten for a 2010 ford f150 SX , reg cab, 61/2 ft. bed, tow package, 4 wheel drive. The one I was looking at had everything I needed except it was 2 wheel drive. Keep your fingers crossed. Oh the dealership will come pick the Eagle truck up, only getting 1500 for a trade in, hey no motor, 157,000 miles on thee old gal.I'll keep yas updated.

To you Gear-heads out there I'm puzzled as to what went first, the over heating which could have caused the head gasket to go or the head gasket causing it to over heat, but than why didnt the guage stay in the red the first time? I'm usually not this careless with my vehicles.

shamoo said:
To you Gear-heads out there I'm puzzled as to what went first, the over heating which could have caused the head gasket to go or the head gasket causing it to over heat, but than why didnt the guage stay in the red the first time? I'm usually not this careless with my vehicles.

It could have gone either way on which failed first, the head gasket or the overheating.

As for the gauge, the temperature sending unit needs to be submerged in the coolant to give a reading. If an air pocket gets around the sending unit it will show some odd indications on the gauge.

Well Finally did it, 2010 Ford F 150, STX, 4X4, Tow Package, Keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirrow, I'm working on buying some extras for her, gotta get her looking like the Green Truck.
shamoo127.jpg

Latest posts