New Computer Recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarbone624

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new Desktop PC. What do you guys recommend? The wife plays "The Sims 3". I mostly browse the internet and check email. I was hoping to keep it under $800. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Should be able to do that pretty easily depending on if you want microsoft office with it or not. I'll let the guru's point you in the right direction, but even with a good screen and decent desktop - reusuing you old software should come in under $800.

This one has a touchscreen as the display, so you can use Win7 as in the commercials. Looks cool anyway 8)
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5265758&CatId=4928

BassAddict said:
If your not opposed to a refurbished computer, you can get something nice for cheap. I got me a Intel duel core 2ghz, laptop with 4gb ram and 64 bit windows for about $830 shipped last year.

Here's a link to the Dell outlet store. I've bought 2 off this page without any problems. Two friends each bought one, so we are 4 for 4 with no issues. Watch the list, find what you want and keep an eye out. Whats going for $399 today might be $599 tomorrow - seriously I've seen it happen.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

These days $800 will buy a lot of computer. I would start at places like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com. Just a sample at tigerdirect below.

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5590493&CatId=4928
I repair computers as a hobby and have bought a lot from both places.

phased said:
These days $800 will buy a lot of computer. I would start at places like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com. Just a sample at tigerdirect below.

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5590493&CatId=4928
I repair computers as a hobby and have bought a lot from both places.

DO THIS! I purchased a few PC's from Newegg including the one I am using right now - could not be more happy. I think I spent about $350.00 for a desktop PC - which are great.

Read the reviews as they are usually very accurate

My last computer that I currently use was a cheaper model ($399) and is now 8 years old. I have done many upgrades to it (Added a video card, maxed out the ram, added another HD) It is so slow now that it is unbearable. I was looking through Dells website and trying to customize a few to see my price options.....and I getting right around $800 budget with a Pentium Dual Core processor, 6Gig of Ram, 750Gig HD, 512mb Video card and a 24" Wide-screen HD monitor with Windows 7. I want a system that will maybe last another 8 years.

I think I found it! :mrgreen:

What anti-virus are you guys running? I'm using AVG free on my old machine.

ACarbone624 said:

Norton Internet Security 2010 - you can buy it on sale for $25 if you watch for it and it's good for 3 machines in your house. I have it on all 3 - the new version doesn't really bog it down like the old versions.

wasilvers said:
ACarbone624 said:

Norton Internet Security 2010 - you can buy it on sale for $25 if you watch for it and it's good for 3 machines in your house. I have it on all 3 - the new version doesn't really bog it down like the old versions.

I used to use Norton all the time. The past few versions really sucked the life out the computer, so i couldn't use them.

Norton puts out virus so they can keep supply and demand up.... Avast "avg" for free, or even buy the good edition right online...

I'm still struggling for a good suite protection package that won't slow down your internet surfing!!!!!!!!!!

I've had AVG-got a virus, got Avast-need to buy it so I looked for a better one, loaded panda cloud and wife siad the net was slow, looked at PCmag's oppinion of the best out there and its Norton's secure suite 2010, my internet is running like Dial up now!!!!

so what does a fella do, I know nothings perfect, but whats good that won't slow down the net???

For the slow computers using Norton, are you running Windows 98/XP or Vista/7 - Single/Dual/Quad cores? On my Vista dual core machines it rocks. My standard XP machine has problems, but it had them before I installed Norton so I never connected the two.

Just curious as this will help me decide what to reload on the xp machine next week. Thanks,

Will

My local techi gave me a AVG free, then I hit Microsoft and got Microsoft Essentials, it was a free down load right from their site. works great and you can set the run times on both, I run one scan in the afternoon after my first jaunt online then run another after I get off at night. Neither one bogs my PC down and they are monitoring all day.

Fish, have you cleared your cookies and web browser list latly? those two things are natorious for slowing your internet browser. Also make sure you got your internet set up for auto updates, you may be behind on internet explorer, or what ever your browser is .

Nope, thats all clean, I do it everyday.

OK I've got to ask this, why does my computer not like TU site?? everytime I get on it, it runs slow or not at all?? Im not running the site down by anymeans but it seems that my internet does not like it at all and I don't know why? Mudhole is another but all it does is go slow on there, it doesn't fry out like TU :roll:

How old is your machine? some of the older ones cannot handle the graphics and slow way down trying to process them. Might not hurt to take your pc in and have a good tune up done on it and find out why, kill two birds with one stone that way. Mine was doing the same thing and I had a bug in internet exp. that was moving bits a pieces of addresses around making it hard for the pc to prosess because it had to constantly sort things out. Have you tried a defrag latly?

dougdad said:
How old is your machine? some of the older ones cannot handle the graphics and slow way down trying to process them. Might not hurt to take your pc in and have a good tune up done on it and find out why, kill two birds with one stone that way. Mine was doing the same thing and I had a bug in internet exp. that was moving bits a pieces of addresses around making it hard for the pc to prosess because it had to constantly sort things out. Have you tried a defrag latly?

My puter is 3 yrs old, Defrag just two days ago, I have smart defrag on and it does it once a week, set up to clean everything out at night, I use Norton Utillitys for this and so far I have been virus clean as well according to my virus pro., I have NVIDIA GeForce6100 nForce 405. Everything else goes pretty good except this one site, But, I will add that they updated their site a few months ago and since then it has been doing this, at one point they posted for a week that they know the site runs slow and they are working on it, its weird :?

My settings on the NVIDIA GeForce6100 is set to "Let the 3D application decide" should I set it to "use my preference" ?? this way I can set it to "performance" "balance" or "quality",,,I'll play around with it.

Latest posts