Toyota what do you think

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caveman

Reaction score
Just want to know how many people are in this predicament. As of now we have parked our 08 Camry and she is driving my 05 Dodge 4x4 Hemi .
She does not like going from 30 mpg to 13 mpg ,but what is one to do? Just wanted to know if any else is in this predicament? Plus we are luck enough to have this options not haveing only one car to drive.
mike/aka caveman

I have a company truck i drive so my p truck stays in the driveway.

IMO it is just a recall like all cars. I would not stop driving it because of the recall. I just traded in my Tacoma, I loved that truck. :(

Hopefully this thread does not turn into a This is better than that thread or Buy American thread.

I heard from a few friends that the parts started to arrive today to make the needed repairs..
I have an 05 tundra and an 06 solara they are both okay and not on the recall list

Jim said:
IMO it is just a recall like all cars. I would not stop driving it because of the recall. I just traded in my Tacoma, I loved that truck. :(

Hopefully this thread does not turn into a This is better than that thread or Buy American thread.

JIM
That wasn't my intent so i am asking you to please lock or delete this tread if that is how you think it will go.As i don't know how to do.
Mike /AKA Caveman

caveman said:
Jim said:

JIM
That wasn't my intent so i am asking you to please lock or delete this tread if that is how you think it will go.As i don't know how to do.
Mike /AKA Caveman

No, it will be fine, everyone is cool here. 8)

Everyone can give their opinion!

My sons car is on the list, hes still driving it, if anything goes wrong he'll know what to do after all he keeps the gas pedal floored most of the time.

The safety of my loved ones is all i care about.......................................................

shamoo said:
My sons car is on the list, hes still driving it, if anything goes wrong he'll know what to do after all he keeps the gas pedal floored most of the time.

That is funny right there.. :D

I don't have one but I would probably still drive it. All you have to remember to do it get it in neutral and you will be okay. but if you are setting in traffic and the thing goes crazy it could turn ugly fast. :shock:

I've got an older Tacoma and I love the truck. I know it's not part of the recall, but even if it were, unless the truck had been exibiting throttle issues I'd continue to drive it. From what I've read the throttle issue isn't one of those things where one moment it's good and the next moment it's bad. You would start noticing that ocassinally when you took your foot off the pedal that there would be a slight delay before the pedal responded. Most people don't pay attention to what their vehicle is telling them until it's too late anyway.

Jim said it best. It is just another recall. Nothing more. The Press thrives on things like this, Why? Bad News sells. the sad part is Here you have a company that is the top selling car manufacture in the world as of last week and now they will struggle with the pit falls of an engineering oversight. granted, I am not defending them I am sure I heard of some lives lost "SUPOSEDLY" from these faulty parts. but at the same time, WHO determined that it was said parts that caused these losses?

Point I am trying to make here, is How many manufactures of automobiles in the world have NEVER had an issue with parts on a car that they produced?{Mass production, not exotic} The Big three here all have had their issues it just happens that Toyota is selling 3 or 5 to 1 of the competition. That in its self has to say something about the company.

If you truly look at each and every commodity that we touch every day, just think about the risks we take no matter what it is. food, toiletries, clothing, Snack foods, ready to eat meals. The list goes on forever. Just a few months ago, we were hit with the scare of H1N1. How many deaths? Well the fact the press left out was the deaths in any given year for the common flu over shot the deaths of Swine flu by 3 times. But that was never brought to light. Why? Because if that point of information would have came out, then A) Who ever stated the idea of it being a terroristic act would have been discredited instantaneously, B) People would have taken H1N1 for what it truly was, Another string of a flu virus and C) the press couldn’t get people glued to the TV each and every night just to see how many people died from last night's report. No one watches the news, then the reporters have no purpose in life.

For 16 years I worked Quality Assurance in the military and did the QA work for the company I just got laid off from last year. and that is one reason that I enjoyed my work as a QA. It's not about giving a person a better product, or saving the company money in re work, it's about saving lives. Making whatever product your company as accurate, fast inexpensive and SAFE as possible. But, One thing that I also learned from my time in the QA field is there is NOTHING perfect. man or machine.

I can't speak for Toyota's program, but I am sure that it is no different than Ford's, General Motors, or Dodge's. I have owned Toyotas and even raced a Toyota in the past and I found their cars to be some of the toughest and most dependable cars out there. and if I were in the market for a new car or truck, I would look at the no different than I would any other car or truck on the market.

Well I have spilled my .02 here, just want to say that the press causes a lot of the frenzy that feeds the blind. I am not insulting all out there, just some people will listed to Katie on the evening news and she puts her little spin on what happened, without thinking that Toyota literally sells millions of cars around the world compared to most of its competitors yes, the number of faults will be higher with the number that are sold worldwide. But that is something the press conveniently leaves out. The fact that Toyota is not the first to have a recall, even a mass recall doesn’t come up in the press, and I bet you my boots they won't be the last either. Most of the bad news is an illusion created by people to feed frenzy.

Wolf

Not trying to bash yalls rigs.... just my openion on yoter

You dont hear about the recalls because yoter is a closed door operation and has been getting deeper in poo with big brother for the last 5 or 6 years. They did these "required field actions" when you braught your rig in for servince, since its on a milage basis to keep your warranty valid, without telling the customer

Their throttle by wire doesnt have a defult built in (like most others) and the safety people have been complaining to yoter about it for awile now, but yoter didnt want to hear it. The only reason this has got so big is because the gov. has steped in just like they had to do when yoters frames were rusting in half. Yoter wasnt about to buy your rigs back for more than they were worth...

I loved it when the top yoter guy got on the radio saying he never said to quit driving your cars wich were in fact his exact words. He's now saying everybody mis-interpreded it and he just ment "take it to a dealer and they'll fix it".. What an idiot

sorry to rant, but I always read about people who are in tuff times, no jobs ect but rant on about how great yoters are. When you buy a forieng rig your money is going over sea's, peroid....

And last but not least, everybody knows toyotas trucks drive like cars :LOL2: :LOL2: ( just teason )

Loggerhead Mike said:
sorry to rant, but I always read about people who are in tuff times, no jobs ect but rant on about how great yoters are. When you buy a forieng rig your money is going over sea's, peroid....
Name one "AMERICAN" car that is truly made in America? Sorry, that dog don't hunt. The {not so} big three have been out sourcing for decades even before it was a corperate fashion statement.

crystler, buick ect ect

not tryin to argue with ya brother, or get anybody heated up. these are just our openions

There is no such thing as a 100% American made vehicle anymore so the argument is moot. Even if they buy a part from a US supplier, there is a very good chance that at least part of it was outsourced outside of the US. I work in the automaking business and know what I am talking about.

We live in a global economy (like it or not) so this discussion not only has no merit, the man that owns this forum has already spoken.

Jim said:

[-X

Toyota was hit yesterday with another black eye over Prius brakes. I think they finally hit the wall on cost cutting and rushing to market, just like everyone else has done at one time or another.

As I read through the novels previously posted there was metion of "Drive by Wire" with no back up plan. I see no reason to have a secondary option. Drive by wire has been in most Tractor Trailers you pass on the road everyday and they seem to have very little problems with it.

Quackrstackr said:
There is no such thing as a 100% American made vehicle anymore so the argument is moot.

My point exactly, Further more, Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Kia all have plants in the US. Therefore, in that mind set, They are just as much American cars as Ford, Dodge and Chevy. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Regardless, All have had their issues some due to cut backs, some to kick backs and some to poor engineering forethought. I am just saying that the media has put a lot in too this just as they did Ford with the Pinto, the tires on the Expedition, and Chevy with the saddle tanks on their older trucks {Even though that was proven to be hyped by the press with fictitious acts. Chrysler with their lean burn system. All have had goofs in their past and all have had to bite the bullet.

Truckmechanic said:
As I read through the novels previously posted there was metion of "Drive by Wire" with no back up plan. I see no reason to have a secondary option. Drive by wire has been in most Tractor Trailers you pass on the road everyday and they seem to have very little problems with it.

No backup on my F150 either that I am aware of.

I can't stand it. I pulled some stumps around the house two years ago. I was easing into the accellerator as to not shock the cable and cause a stump to come flying into my tailgate or back glass. Evidently, I was easing into it so slowly that the mechanism wouldn't even register until I was at least 1/4 into the throttle, then it would begin to pick up.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind going to throttle by wire in the first place. Anybody here ever have a problem with their old cable and linkage system? I can't believe that the computer controls and servos are cheaper than the old system, either.

I got to talk to a guy in the plant who made piston rings for Gm and Toyota, The tolerances for toyota are a lot higher, and there quality control is much better, that said, I still prefer to drive an American Born car such as Gm Ford etc... These are the cars our grandfathers built, and what got America were it is today.. I dont look down on foriegn car owners at all... Just not in my realm to buy new...

Drive by wire? Pretty much all fuel injected vehicles are drive by wire now. The diesels that I work on even have electronic fuel injectors now. It is supposed to be a more precise delivery method than mechanical injectors. Carburetors are set for your altitude and the mixture needs to changed if you drive up and down mountains and so forth. Electronic fuel systems can change the mixture electronically without having to get under the hood and adjust needle valves. That saves gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts