drift socks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStewart

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with them. I'm thinking about getting a couple to help on those windy days.

I use one large one on my boat when I spider rig for crappie on windy days. It works like a charm.

I have 4 on my boat. I use two when I anchor on the Columbia River to keep the boat tight in the wind and had to use 4. I also use them on the bow to keep it from swinging trolling with a cross wind.

We use them all the time to drift across bays and lagoons. We have found that you might catch 8-9 fish on a windy day drifting fast without the sock. We would use it on the next drift and it would keep you in the strike zone a little longer. It has doubled our catch rate since we started using them.

My outboard goes too fast at idle to troll. I hate trolling, but when we do, I started using the sock and it has allowed us to really slow down.

Another good use for a wind sock is if you ever have outboard trouble in high seas. Deploy it off the bow and it will hold the bow into the wind and waves. Hopefully keeping you from swamping.

i have 2 that i use when trolling for salmon slows the boat to half mile bad thing about them you have to keep steering the boat or she will spin to the left

I used to attach to the bow eye. That became a real pain trying to retrieve it. Started attaching to the front cleat (about 5' back from the bow) this year. On my boat, that position offers the same control as the far forward position plus easier retrieval.

On a few occasions, I have needed 2 drift socks to slow me to the desired speed (front cleat/stern cleat). Once that happens, it's not too long before I'm making my way back to the ramp.

Latest posts