OFFICIAL 2010 OLYMPIC THREAD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
1, My condolences to the family and friends of the Olympian who got killed on day one. :cry:

2, Is Curling an olympic sport contender...seriously? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling :LOL2:

Don't get me wrong, get a group of guys together, a few cases of beer, a BBQ grill and I'm all for it.

X2 on 1. [-o<

Curling is just another example of how all that cold weather affects the mind.

Not to be a smartass, but curling is one of the only things I watch when the winter olympics roll around. Not because its a great display of athleticism, but because its just fun to watch.

dyeguy1212 said:
Not to be a smartass, but curling is one of the only things I watch when the winter olympics roll around. Not because its a great display of athleticism, but because its just fun to watch.

Yes, its fun to watch.......and I would like to even try it.

Loggerhead Mike said:
ive mainly been watching the hockey. think its going to be america vs canada anybody else?
For womens hockey I think it will be, but for mens usa will have its hands full. I think canada probably has the deepest team, but russia has the best offence, I think sweden took worlds last time around so they'll be good. So if the US can manage a medal ill be happy, if they dont make the medal round im pulling for sweden or russia.

I am a Chef, so as a 20 year old I spend 4 Years in St Moritz Switzerland, really got into Winter sports ( what brought me to the Adirondacks from NYC...) I got to go down in a 4 man Bosleigth, ride of my life... Enjoy the skiing, specially downhill and syuperG, Curling is concentration and mechanics sport, like golf, looks easy, you herl that granite thing all the way into the backboards by barely touching it, Ski jumping, remember when the idiot annoucer says he flew over the equivalent of two football fields.... Wrong he flew to the 40 yard line, the rest in down in the hole like a giant chute, they just fly down. In St Moritz I saw all of it, they have all the facilities. Snowboarding half pipe, in all seriousness tricks OK, playing loud music in your ears help your concentration? who are you kidding, its boys at play, with neat tricks, yes, athletes they are not, you dont see downhill skiers with Ipods.... I love the snow board cross, when they race each other like cars, faily new event, very exiting, Figure skating? where are the men? cant tell by the clothes, Biathlon, cross country ski , then stop and shoots at targets,..... who thought of that? Hitler? just when they are ready to upchuck their lungs they got to sto breathing and aim $%#^$&^@#* Skeleton a sport invented in Switzerland by a grocer, they where man! head first ,down the chute .......... guts. Most boring / irritating thing about the Olympics, NBC's coverage, half arse commercial ridden amateur hours, they decide what the public want to watch ( like the
former USSR) I am out, slow day at work!

OK you guys...you should know that up here in the frozen North curling is held with almost the same reverence as hockey. I have to say that I don't get it though and it seems a little silly to me. It makes you wonder how it was invented and by whom (even accounting for the possibility of beer being involved, it doesn't seem possible). You southern guys maybe can't conceive that the water here is liquid for only half the year. It is actually possible in a cold winter to have ice from November through April. You can't believe what that does to your head. People up here do all kinds of crazy stuff. I've seen ice fishing houses the size of small garages. They have bunks in them and satellite dishes for getting the game. Some even have holes in the floor in case the occupants want to do a little fishing. In a town nearby, people tie a chain to a car and drive/tow it out on the ice and make a pool to guess the date and time the car finally goes to the bottom. Then there's broom ball where about 40 (preferably drunk) guys (preferably high school guys) get out on the ice and bash around a ball and each other. They use corn brooms with most of brush cut off so it's good and hard and really hurts when you get hit with it. Many a trip to the emergency room in this game. In Duluth they used to have ice races on Lake Superior where they would run front-wheel drive cars with studded tires - the back ends were absolutely out of control. This cold weather makes your brain hurt so all kinds of crazy things happen.

I learned a little trick when I was stationed at the air base in Duluth that I've never used - my Capt. was from Florida. We used to stand by the window at lunch time to watch him go to his car. He always wore those leather-soled dress uniform shoes. Hard leather on ice, forget it! On the way to the parking lot there was always one area where the sidewalk was icy. He usually went down in a cloud of snow. Anyway, when he got out he said he was going to strap a snow shovel to the front of his car and drive south until somebody asked what that thing was. That's where he was going to stay...

Latest posts