Selling on Ebay

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassAddict

Reaction score
Ive been looking into selling extra bags of baits on ebay, but do not have the attention span (or im too lazy) To read my way through their sellers policy.......... Can someone explain it to me in the simplest of terms (pretend your explaining it to a 4 year old :LOL2: )? Am I gonna be charged a listing fee, a selling fee, this fee and that fee? Or am I only charged if the item sells?

You get charged up the wazoo, thats why everyone switched to craigslist. I can't remember the percentages, but you'll be charged a listing fee (even if it doesnt sell), ebay will take a cut of the winnings, and if they pay by paypal, paypal will take their 3% or so as well.

dyeguy1212 said:
You get charged up the wazoo, thats why everyone switched to craigslist. I can't remember the percentages, but you'll be charged a listing fee (even if it doesnt sell), ebay will take a cut of the winnings, and if they pay by paypal, paypal will take their 3% or so as well.

Ahhhh so I did read that right, I thought they had a "pay if it sells" plan but guess they ended that a long time ago..................................... thieving &@$!%^ds :twisted:

BassAddict said:
dyeguy1212 said:

Ahhhh so I did read that right, I thought they had a "pay if it sells" plan but guess they ended that a long time ago..................................... thieving &@$!%^ds :twisted:

I'm pretty sure you have pay an insertion fee (with some exceptions) and then another fee if you sell it... plus paypal, etc. But I don't think you have to pay anything if it doesn't sell. Then again I just looked at the new fee schedule and it was like reading Chinese.

I would disagree with the fact that graigslist is taking Ebays spot. I sold thousands of Ebay items, but have been inactive for about a year or so. Yes they gets you on fee's etc, but too put it in simple terms (4 years old) on Ebay it simply sells, on Graiglist you get hammered by scammers, mostly bottom feeders and people trying to figure out where you live, ok, deals are made yes, and absolutely Graigslist is a gem, but Ebay it is not to be overlooked, You can sell a boat on Ebay requesting pickup locally etc, someone in your neighborood will buy it, graigslist gets 25 boat adds a day, mostly rehash of previous boats, just not that easy, UNREGULATED as well, do a reverse phone thing on yellow pages, find the item in the yard and pick it up when the owner is out..... can and will happen if you are to open, people are naive. Ebay is the better of two evils. my 2cts.

I've sold and bought over 50 items on Ebay, and I must say, that the fees are not as bad as this thread says. Lately, selling college textbooks is my focus due to school. A $100 textbook just sold for $85, with a $.40 listing fee. Paypal takes a buck or two, and that's it.

So for $85, I brought home $83, and I got to use the book for 3 months. That's not so bad is it? Ebay and Paypal have to make some sort of profit, and that to me, isn't a huge deal.

It's better sold and shipped than just sitting here collecting dust. Plus, the money from my items goes towards the boat project and fishing gear.

Oh, and if anyone needs help selling on Ebay, shoot me a PM. I'll gladly help out anyone here.

I'm pretty sure you have pay an insertion fee.[/quote]

Whoa wait a minute here I thought we were talkin about sellin some lures on the net. :mrgreen:

From the ebay site"

"You pay an insertion fee to list an item on eBay. If the item sells, you also pay a final value fee. The cost of selling an item is the total of these two fees."

So you pay 2 fees - one to list the item and one after you sell the item.

The fee to list the item ranges from .10 to a max of $4.00 depending on your starting or reserved price

The fee you pay after an item sells is based on a sliding percentage that starts at 8.75% and then changes based on the actual sales price

You can determine your actual fee here: https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Just add 10% on to the buy it now price to cover ebay/paypal fees.

What a racket, ebay owns paypal - and you get hit with fees from everyside. Imagine how much is sold via ebay every day, now take 7% (avg) of that number and that's what ebay made - at what cost? Tech support? Maybe tinboats should come up with a fishBay/fishPay - we could really make out like bandits - and give tinboats sponsors sweet deals on fees!

wasilvers said:
Just add 10% on to the buy it now price to cover ebay/paypal fees.

What a racket, ebay owns paypal - and you get hit with fees from everyside. Imagine how much is sold via ebay every day, now take 7% (avg) of that number and that's what ebay made - at what cost? Tech support? Maybe tinboats should come up with a fishBay/fishPay - we could really make out like bandits - and give tinboats sponsors sweet deals on fees!

Sounds awesome...Tinbaypay! :LOL2:

We make an empire and I hire all you guys and give 6 figures a year to work from home 8 hours per week. Better yet a netbook with Internet access so you can work anywhere in the world... Who's in?

While its true you pay an insertion fee, and a final value fee (depends on how much your product sold for), we're talking dollars here.

If I made baits, it would be hard to market my product as a beginning company. A lot of people here make baits, yet still have to work full time, so marketing and product coverage is small when starting out.

Ebay draws millions of hits per day. Fishing products probably up in the thousands of views per day. Ebay could seriously help your business(s) along, while marketing itself to anyone who searches for "hand poured baits" or "bass lures".

You get the drift, I just merely wanted to say that everyone who is trying to sell something, to make sure and at least give Ebay one shot. If nothing else, at least you're trying to get your product some coverage, by paying a few cents to the dollar.

Latest posts