Carp prep

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
How to prepare a carp - in case you wanted to know...

https://dnr.state.il.us/fish/carpprep1.pdf

:wink:

The only thing I can add to that is that I've always heard that to cook them you nail them to a cedar plank and bake them slowly by an open fire. Once they're done you take the carp off the plank, throw away the carp, and eat the plank.

Deadmeat said:
The only thing I can add to that is that I've always heard that to cook them you nail them to a cedar plank and bake them slowly by an open fire. Once they're done you take the carp off the plank, throw away the carp, and eat the plank.
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

I knew a guy who used to eat them - he seemed healthy enough. I read that overseas they are a great fish to eat. They might have got a bad rap here.... but I still can't bring myself to try it.
:(

I talked to a guy at the boat landing last year and he used to commercially fish them down in Portage. He said he would catch like 20,000 lbs a year(something crazy like that) and he would sell them to processors. According to him, they are used for fish sticks and McDonald's Fillet O Fish. Also very in demand overseas. I'll stick to my perch and walleye...

I've heard the same thing about the carp being netted from rivers. One guy couldn't disclose his purchaser, but they would bring in 1000's of pounds of carp for processing. He made a good living at it.

I like fish sticks, the breading is great!

wasilvers said:
I've heard the same thing about the carp being netted from rivers. One guy couldn't disclose his purchaser, but they would bring in 1000's of pounds of carp for processing. He made a good living at it.

I like fish sticks, the breading is great!

VanDeKamps and Potato puffs! :LOL2:

Commercial fishermen catch tons (literally) of rough fish out of KY Lake every year and somebody is buying it. I'm just not sure who or what for. :?

There are youtube videos out there from one state wildlife department showing the cleaning and preparation of Asian carp. Their meat is really white and supposedly really good. Seems like they are supposed to taste a lot like cod.. just hard to fillet.

We used to catch them (carp) and buffalo by the boat load when I was a kid in gil nets on our property near the Trinity River. We have a series of gravel pits that they no longer harvest gravel from and every time the trinty exceeds her bank they fill up. My dad would take them and pedal them out of the back of his truck or just give them away. Only way we ever cooked them was in a pressure cooker, which pulverizes all the tiny bones into nothing. Then fry them up into fish pattys. Not too bad. Little bit of Ketchup and some fries and it makes a meal.

My grandmother used to cook and eat carp. She fixed us all kinds of dishes that most people these days do not eat. She was a country cook. If it grew up or was raised in the woods, lakes, rivers or ocean she had a recipe for it. She used to love mudfish(bowfin). That was one of her favorites.

You guys are funny, I am a naturalized American, came from France in 79, listen, you dont eat Carp, Goat, Rabbit, why not? I am in the Food Service Industry, you eat a hamburger at Mc D, yes? 100 corn fed sick cows in pieces , chicken nuggets, your kids favorites.... beeks and cheeks OK!
However I love being here, Back home, Carps used to be eaten in restaurants, mostly poached, cream sce over noodles, or stew, very good. Same with pike, good eating. Carp is a delicacy in Japan. Kids in Europe eat the same junk as your kids here, thank you Mc D. The only fish I would not eat is River sturgeon, these things are old and full of mercury....

Well, I have access to a ton of Bowfin and Carp. Maybe someday this summer I'll take off an afternoon to catch a few and prep them. Might be missing out on some really good eats...I just gotta get over my predisposition to it being unpalletable.

Just a side note, the company that makes these meat sticks ( slim Jims) you find by most cash registers, and they do taste good. Anyway they have a contract with the cattle industry for foreheads and cheeks...... guess what you are eating.. fermented foreheads, bon appetit! =D>

Just filet without bones, keep the white meat, wash and marinate in lemon juice and water for a while, rinse, and go at it, its been a few years since I have eaten one, once I get my tin i'll spear some at night....

Froggy said:
Just a side note, the company that makes these meat sticks ( slim Jims) you find by most cash registers, and they do taste good. Anyway they have a contract with the cattle industry for foreheads and cheeks...... guess what you are eating.. fermented foreheads, bon appetit! =D>

I would rather die before eating one of those salt sticks! :LOL2:

What about vienna sausages, bologna, or weenies? Mostly leftovers right? Don't have a problem with those. I do draw the line a calf fries / mountain oysters (battered and fried testicles from young bulls). No thanks.

I'll have to bookmark the carp fillet page since it only seems to be a matter of time before the asian carp makes it to my fishin holes

Latest posts