Paint, house paint that is.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
So, me and my wife bought a new house a few weeks back. We purchased about fifteen gallons for asssorted colors of paint for the inside of the house. I have completed every room except part of one wall in the master BR where I have to fix some sheetorck around a window. My wife and mother in law were painting trim (I was at the flea market getting rid of a bunch of stuff we don't ever use). While painting the crown molding the dripped some paint onto the walls in a few spots. So, she(my wife) retreived a wet rag to wipe off the paint drip. And whatdaya know the trim paint on the walls wipes off right along with the wall paint. :( I myself took a wet cloth last night when I was at the new house, wiped down a spot on the wall, and with very little effort the rag was covered in yellow paint (Kitchen color, wife picked it). To put this into perspective 4 bedrooms, 3 bathroom, a kitchen, dining room, office, den and laundry room that all have to be repainted. :-x Now after a phone call, the store manager, theyu are going to give us a full refund for all the paint purchased as long as we purchase the replacement paint at their store. The knucklehead refuse to make any adjustment for all the labor I have put into it. So, I now have a week to repaint the entire interior of our house ](*,) before we move weekend after next.

Moral of the story: Be careful buying paint, especially Scherin Williams paint. On a seperate note, what are you doing this weekend??? :p

If it was Sherwin Williams paint, bought at a Sherwin Williams store or dealer, I'm surprised at the response. I would contact Sherwin Williams directly and request some form of satisfaction for your trouble. That is, of course, if you are certain you followed all application instructions and primed every surface before you painted it. They may be inclined to help just on a customer relation's basis. And they may not. But the squeaky wheel seems to be the one that gets greased first. :wink:

BTW - if it was a Sherwin Williams store or dealer, mention their name to the company. :wink:

The brand is colorplace. It is manufacture by Schirwin Williams packaged for Wal-Mart. (side note - i told my wife we should get our paint at HD but she wanted to save some money so she insisted on Wal-Mart) (and no, in the heat of all this I haven't uttered "I told you so.") The store manager didn't seem to balk at giving us a credit on the condition we the replacement paint was purchased their. He didn't even offer any condolences on the "lost time" or attempt to make up for it in any way. :x

Ouch! That hurt. I would would be so mad I couldn't see straight. I hate painting. When I do paint, I try to get the best quality paint I can buy so I don't have to do it as often. My preference is Behr Premium Plus.

Why would you go and buy more potentially defective paint?

We had our living room and hall painted a couple of years ago. The l/r has a 19' ceiling and I don't have the equipment to really do it right without potentially busting a hole in my sheetrock.

The wife and I picked out the paint with the color and finish that we wanted (an eggshell finish khaki-ish color with a darker brown on the wall around the fireplace) and the painters figured the amount of paint that they would need. They didn't figure enough. They ran out about 3/4 through on their second coat/touch ups and had to go buy more paint. When I walked in that evening, I immediately realized that the tint for the second batch didn't match the original and I had walls that looked like a dalmation from the touch ups. They had just packed up and left and were fully intending to just let it be that way without saying a word. I was livid. This was Sherwin Williams paint as well (from the local SW store). I called the manager and the contractor and had the both of them back out there that evening to look at it. The manager agreed to furnish the paint for another coat to ensure that it was all one color. Fast forward to the next evening.... I walk into my house and it was all one color (except the already fine accent wall).. but it was a satin finish paint!! :x :x :x . It shined like a new nickel and the accent wall that did not need repainting was it's chosen shade and eggshell finish just like it was supposed to be. This time, I was furious. Actually, furious would be an understatement. We were on day 3 with all of the furniture piled into the middle of the room with drop cloths everywhere. I probably actually made up a few new words while on the phone with the SW store and the painter. The next morning, they were both at my house again and the SW manager decided to upgrade me to their top of the line paint and provide enough for free that I could have had the entire house painted should I have decided to. The painter was livid because a 1 1/2 day job had now turned into a 4 day job and I wasn't paying them for the extra 2 1/2 days. All of these people were supposed to know what they were doing and I felt like I had no obligation to pay any of them one red cent over what I had been quoted for a finished job to the original specs.

I now have 4 coats of new paint on my walls (at least).. but they are exactly the shade and finish that I picked out to begin with. I also had enough paint left over that I have painted one bathroom with it and have about 3 rooms more worth to spare.

Nevillizer said:
The brand is colorplace. It is manufacture by Schirwin Williams packaged for Wal-Mart. (side note - i told my wife we should get our paint at HD but she wanted to save some money so she insisted on Wal-Mart) (and no, in the heat of all this I haven't uttered "I told you so.") The store manager didn't seem to balk at giving us a credit on the condition we the replacement paint was purchased their. He didn't even offer any condolences on the "lost time" or attempt to make up for it in any way. :x
The Colorplace name seems to be the problem. The review here is good (probably fake), but the followup comments tell the story.

Quackrstackr's story shows what can happen even when a "pro" does the work if the paint's not right. But because he used a quality paint from a reputable manufacturer, he got satisfaction from them. The contractor was pissed, but it was his poor workmanship that caused the problem and if he wanted to keep buying from that dealer, I'm sure he was pressured to do the job to the customer's satisfaction by the dealer. I have a buddy who is a professional painter and he's had that happen a couple times. He swears by Duron paint.

With paint, you really do get what you pay for in coverage and durability. It's a PITA job and one you will have to do less frequently if you use good quality paint and always prime all walls, ceilings & trim before putting on a new finish coat.

Good luck !!!

Latest posts